BigRed's AFL (24/24 Western Aus. expansion added, series complete!)

BigRed618

NORTH MELBOURNE KANGAROOS

spacer.png

Main things I did was a new logo, with a unique, dynamic rendering of a kangaroo, and introducing a secondary color, a rich shade of cyan based on a logo they used to use in the mid 1970s...

spacer.png

Despite this, I know blue is the traditional color of the Roos, so cyan shows up only on the primary logo and the clash jumper. The logo that appears above the numbers spells out the word Shinboner, which is a nickname NMFC used to use in its early history. The team was notorious for causing injuries to the other team by "going for the shinbones," allegedly. Sometime in the '50s it was decided that Shinboners seemed kind of morbid, so a more family-friendly name was decided on.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PORT ADELAIDE POWER

spacer.png

Port, like Brisbane, has an interesting history reflected in its uniforms. They have been regarded as the strongest team outside of Victoria, if not all of Australia, and their traditional outfit included black and white, in a unique pattern based on wharf pylons, but came to be known as the "prison bars," a design dating back to 1902.

Upon entering the AFL in the 90s, Port was unfortunately required to find a new jumper, along with a new name and logo, as Port was up until then known as the Magpies, and the AFL already had a team that was called the Magpies and used a similar jumper pattern of black and white stripes.

Currently, Port's home jumper is black with a vee colored white and teal, but lately there have been calls for the Power to "bring back the bars," as now that the AFL allows clash uniforms, color confusion is no longer an issue.

My concept makes an attempt to restore the traditional prison bars, while keeping the teal in a non-invasive capacity. The clash is white with teal pylons, perfect for games against that other black and white team. The new logo I made features a stylized magpie dressed in lightning bolts.

I've missed a handful, but the short version is that you've continued to show some great concepts!

Hawthorn - I know it's just a return to a previous look of theirs, but I agree with you that the pinstripes look good. As far as the clash, I'm inclined to agree with both of @vtgco's points about both the darker brown and the monogram being unnecessary on both the front and back. In the spirit of workshopping and offering suggestions, I'd try maybe using the same pinstripe effect on the vee, making it yellow bordered by yellow pinstripes, and maybe lose the monogram on the front to keep the vee from being too busy, which would allow it to stay on the back. I definitely like having the clash be a vee design, and I agree with your instinct that a single-color vee would be a little plain for the Hawks.

Melbourne - Traditionalists would probably revolt in real life, but I like inserting the logo into the classic jumper design! And I think the clash ticks all the boxes for a good clash jumper: contrasting color, somewhat unconventional design, but not overly gaudy either.

North Melbourne - I really, really like your choice to introduce the cyan into the logo and the clash jumper! I'm a big fan of the clash in particular, with the wraparound logo and the half-stripes. The only feedback I have as far as making adjustments would be that for the logo, the roo's back seems too arched; I like your "dynamic" (to use your word) treatment of the head and the leg, but I think something closer to the real-life logo's shape would make for a better back. I like the "Oilers"-style letters above the kangaroo!

Brisbane update - Looks good! Not much to say, since it's just returning to their existing logo, but I will say that the head-only shield logo definitely works even with the old lion, which I don't believe is anything the team has actually done.

Port Adelaide - Another home run! (Er... Six-pointer? Torpedo? Speckie?) The prison bars with the teal cuffs and collar is a really solid look. I might consider mirroring that look to make the cuffs and/or collar black on the clash, to keep black in the clash jumper more than just the numbers. I don't know if you're thinking of doing third jumpers (other than Brisbane), but looking at the logo you made, it almost feels like a missed opportunity not to have a jumper that utilizes those slanted prison bars you came up with, as classy as your clash jumper is.

SYDNEY SWANS

spacer.png

In recent news, the Sydney Opera House has increased the fee they charge to use the image of their building on sports logos from $1000 to $12k. The Swans, having used the landmark on their jumpers since the mid 80s, could probably afford to continue to do so, but this is more of a what-if situation where the club decides to try something else to save some money.

Three really impressive designs since I last visited!

Richmond - That clash is awesome and ought to exist. That's all I have to say about that. Looks absolutely great. Going for the heraldic look for the logo is a really fun choice and I'm into it. I also don't believe tigers are really an animal that appears in actual heraldry (I think just lions as far as cats go?), so you obviously have some freedom there to make it your own.

St. Kilda - Again, that clash jumper is a thing of beauty. The beveled cross is an inspired look, and I really like the choice to make the cuffs and collar all different colors as a call-back to the home jumper; it's the attention to those little details that really makes a design like this stand out! The club crest on the chest does make it look a little cramped, in my opinion; I think that's as easy a fix as just moving the crest to the shorts like you've done for some other teams, and only for the clash, since the home is obviously good as-is.

Sydney - Even though it doesn't appear on the jumpers anywhere, that updated logo with the detailed swan head is the standout here in my opinion; that looks fantastic, I think you really nailed the shape and the expression. And that's not to say that the jumpers are underwhelming, because they're really not. I love the historical nod with the curved vee on the home, it's a solid look. I like the direction you're going with the clash, but I think it could use some tweaks. It took me until I was writing this comment to realize that it's supposed to be a negative-space vee rather than just three red spikes, and I think it's a little empty-looking for a white jumper. Maybe try enlarging the two lower "spikes" to make them come closer to touching, or even do have them meet in the middle; that said, I'd definitely keep the triangular, tapered shape even if they do meet.

You're really hitting a stride with these now, and I can't wait to see the rest of the league, and what you come up with for your expansion teams!

3 hours ago, WLD42 said:

Sydney - Even though it doesn't appear on the jumpers anywhere, that updated logo with the detailed swan head is the standout here in my opinion; that looks fantastic, I think you really nailed the shape and the expression. 

Glad you like the logo... because that’s what they’re actually using! I did not make the logo. I only made the smaller, full-body swan you see on the jumpers.

WEST COAST EAGLES

spacer.png

For this team, the only thing I changed on the home was tweak the wings so they don’t droop down the sides as far. Their current road jumper is yellow with blue wings, so I tried out a white shirt with bi-colored wings.

19 minutes ago, BigRed618 said:

Glad you like the logo... because that’s what they’re actually using! I did not make the logo. I only made the smaller, full-body swan you see on the jumpers.

Whoops! Clearly I'm out of the loop! Well done Sydney, then, I guess. I only remember the big red V with the white swan+opera house at the bottom. I recognized the logo you created, though, as an update to their old logo with the angry teeth (which was always a bit... odd for a swan). And you did do a really nice job with that.

EDIT: Ok, just looked it up for myself and the logo is new this year, so I feel better about not being up to speed on that!

Like you said yourself, the changes to West Coast are pretty minimal, but the two-color wings on the clash look great!

WESTERN BULLDOGS

spacer.png

Historically the Dogs wore blue jumpers with a red and a white band, but starting in 1975 they changed it to one red band bordered by white to look better on color TV. In 2012 they went back to the old pattern, but I personally prefer the tv-friendly version, so I used that for my concept. Just so there’s no confusion, the logo was made by me.

And that's it for all the current AFL teams. I hope you enjoyed the series so far, and I hope you'll stick around for the fantasy teams!

TASMANIA DEVILS

spacer.png

For the expansion teams, I decided to forgo the use of sponsor logos on the jumpers. I’m sure I’m not breaking anyone's heart with that decision.

This team was easy, because most of the work has already been done for me. Truth be told, Tassie is already in line to get an expansion AFL team within the next year or two. This hypothetical team has already been named, it’s colors chosen, and some idea of what their jumpers will look like. I did come up with a new logo for the Devils, a more stylized take on the marsupial inside an inverted triangle to represent the general shape of the island state. The secondary logo is based on the crest their State of Origin team used to wear.

Just like you, I started to watch AFL last year because it was one of the only things on. I also like Collingwood, but more because of the Pat Mcafee Show and them having the only american player, but them being on tv often helps.

I think these are all good. I like the changes that you have made, including adding true clash kits for a lot of these teams. One of the only things I don't like is the Suns logo. I get what you were going for, but like some one else said it just looks distorted. 

Looking forward to more concepts and the new season starting this week!

NORTHERN TERRITORY STRIDERS

spacer.png

When I read on the official conversation on AFL expansion, one of the ideas thrown around was a team in the Northern Territory, a federally administered region where about half the land is owned by Australia's indigenous peoples. I’m personally in favor of a team here because this way every region in the Land Down Under will have some kind of representation. 

I used the region's name because I imagine the Striders might split their home games between NT's two major cities, Darwin and Alice Springs. I really wanted to use an emu for their logo, but the name Emus didn’t sound right to me, so I went with something that could describe an emu instead. Their colors would be sky blue, tan, and black, in order of predominance. Maybe I could’ve went with orange like NT's flag, but for some reason I thought a more earthy tone suited this team better. 

I made two ideas for home jumpers because I couldn’t decide whether to use a modern look with a big emu dividing the main colors, or go with a more traditional-looking sash, a tri-colored version of what the Bombers and Tigers wear.

Like what you did for Richmond. Heraldic logos are really hard, but I think you did a good job!

I think the Port Adelaide logo has been your biggest miss. Not feeling the square, and the bird/lightning bolt thing really doesn't make sense to me. If you wanna stick with that idea, I'd work on making a full magpie in flight logo you like (maybe top view?) and find the lightning bolts afterward (maybe the white back plumage?). I think your uniforms are nice, though.

I really like your new Striders color scheme, and the clash is really nice. The name is kinda cool too. I think the logo is a nice design but it doesn't *quite* read as an emu to me (the back almost looked like a turtle shell). I think it'd be much improved if you smooth up the transition from the back to the neck and make the head shape more defined, with a distinct beak.

I like your Sydney logo better than the real thing, though I'd suggest you smooth the transition of the head to the back of the neck, and either ditch the ball or fill it in red. The clash is pretty cool; all-around solid design, despite the unfortunate shift away from Opera House imagery.

Not feeling the font for Tasmania but otherwise, solid look. I'm glad the Demons and Devils look pretty different :)

More good work here! Excited to see more of your new teams.

CANBERRA STARS

spacer.png

I was gonna post this one later, but today is St. Pat's day and these guys wear double green so... Here’s what I came up with for Aussie's capital, toying around with the Southern Star and just now realizing that it might bear some resemblance to the BP logo, but maybe not enough that it should be a problem, right?

TOWNSVILLE KOALAS

spacer.png

The humble koala was used before in what is now the AFL. Before the merger with Fitzroy, the Brisbane Lions were known as the Bears and used the koala in their logo, even though it is now semi-common knowledge that the koala is not a bear, but a marsupial.

For this concept club, a hypothetical third team in Queensland, I give this animal another chance, perhaps to raise awareness of the vulnerable species, its future now in question due to last year's forest fires. The jumper design came to me out of nowhere. The city name starts with a T, so why not just put a big T on it? The clash shirt offers something similar, but with the famous marsupial clinging to the T.

Canberra's jerseys look great; really nice use of the colors. I agree with the BP similarities you pointed out... Maybe to differentiate it a bit, I think you could work in the Parliament flagpole as the shape of the top of the inner star. Not feeling the wordmark on top of the logo, you might arrange the word STARS like this old-timey Texan flag.

The koala for Townsville is really cute, but I think the ball it's holding feels a bit off. Maybe swap the taper direction of the seams? For the white jersey, maybe you should try hand-drawing the T (a la Minnesota United's current wing) to match the koala.

SALISBURY CROCODILES

spacer.png
This team would play in Salisbury, a suburb north of Adelaide. For some reason, I really wanted them in red, but I tried my hardest not to make them look too much like the Swans, so I incorporated a salmon pink into the clash jerseys.

NORTH PERTH QUOKKAS

spacer.png

Just off the coast of Perth is Rottnest Island, known for its flourishing population of the now famous marsupial, the Quokka. Having no predators or comepetion for resources, they show no fear of humans, as you might have seen from countless vacation selfies. I figured this creature would make a good mascot for what would be Western Australia's third team, based in Joondalup. For their jumpers, I went with a halved design since that seemed to be uncommon in footy.

So that takes care of this series. Hope you enjoyed. Not sure if I’ll revisit any of these, but you’re welcome to give whatever feedback you have. 

Archived