Convince Me This Isn't the Worst NHL Jersey of All Time.

Worn from 2011-2014 by the New York Islanders. It Features BFBS and GFGS, 5 Colors, No Chest Logo, A Lighter Colored Helmet than Jersey, and Weird Diamond-y Things on the Sides.

It's the Worst. Prove Me Wrong.

78YdVQZ.gif

JTPc6yg.jpg

0UUaaAw.jpg

lwmqBeM.jpg

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean it’s decently aesthetically pleasing. It’s weird as heck for a club like the Islanders, but definitely not the worst. That title belongs to the abomination that was the Atlanta Thrashers red alternate from 2008-2011 when they moved. There wasn’t BFBS or GFGS but there was everything else like this Islanders jersey, but worse. The shoulder logos were only a partial logo, and huge. The side panels didn’t even have a cool diamond effect to defend itself. And the socks are by far and away the worst socks in the history of the NHL. That Thrashers jersey makes other horrors like the Turdburger and the Bolts stormy jerseys look like classics. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

It's top-5 bad, for sure. I'd say the leading contenders are:

Islanders first black alternate - as described in OP.

Atlanta Thrashers red alternate - ugly as hell, a mishmash of shapes and blocks, looks like a football jersey.

Islanders second black alternate - NO, stop it.

Buffalo Sabres two-tone alternate - I just... yeah, this is number 1.

spacer.png

It's among the ten worst for sure. Truly a "What if the owner let his 7th grader design a uniform?" look. It checks all the boxes of bad design, none of the design elements are nods or references to the Islanders aesthetic history, but it also has that extra thing that takes it from just bad to memorably bad in which it was created for seemingly nobody and for no reason. 

But my vote for worst ever goes to that yellow and blue Sabres alternate. That was also created for nobody and for no reason and was so bad it provides a glimpse into the specific type of bad decision making that has plagued the franchise under the stewardship of the Pegulas. It's also really close to what the Predators wear when viewed just from the front so in addition to looking bad it was also stepping into another team's territory. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Getting a foot cut off isn't technically as bad as having your leg cut off below the knee, which technically isn't as bad as having it cut off at the hip, but they all would be absolutely horrible and I'd never want myself or anyone else to be subject to it.  I feel like that's what we're talking about here - there gets a point where they're so bad, that they're impossible to rank against each other.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Kings file formal grievance with the NHL regarding Smyth/Fraser trade with  Oilers | ProHockeyTalk | NBC Sports

It may not be the ugliest jersey in NHL history but the Oilers away jerseys during the early 2010s were glorified practice jerseys with so many questionable decisions. Black gloves, arm stripes that only went around part of the way, hideous copper color,  and the weird Reebok bib. 

I was all ready to agree with OP, but the Sabres have a different color front and back is truly unforgivable.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

That's not really even the worst Islanders jersey of all time, OP. That title goes to the legendary Fisherman;

spacer.png

Like, everything about this is just bad. The unnecessary inclusions of teal and gray to the team's color scheme, the 70's acid trip striping, the contorted NOB to fit on said acid trip striping, the cheesy logo...the fact a team in the highest level of American pro hockey wore this as a primary jersey (unlike other infamous 90's disasterpieces which had the courtesy of being alternates) makes it easily the worst of all time.

People want it back, but they want it as an alternate jersey. a compliment to the brand. There's a reason it generated chants like "We Want Fishsticks" and lasted all of one season as their primary brand before the Fisherman was given concrete shoes out at Montauk Point.

25 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

*ahem*

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcontent.sportslogos.net%2Fnews%2F2014%2F11%2FLos-Angeles-Kings-Burger-King-Uniform-1995-96.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Again, that was an alternate jersey. Many teams in the 90's had ugly alternates (Canucks gradient, Wild Wing, Pooh, Burger King), but the Isles somehow thought that sort of style was going to go over well as a main set. Had the Bruins gone and made Pooh the primary like Sinden wanted, I could see them contending for "most ill-fated NHL branding move of all time".

An ugly as sin alternate is an ugly alternate, teams have those all the time. It takes a special kind of branding disaster to make a look that you intend to be your main jerseys that goes over so :censored:ing poorly you have to hurriedly try to tape over the wounds only a season afterward.

39 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Again, that was an alternate jersey. Many teams in the 90's had ugly alternates (Canucks gradient, Wild Wing, Pooh, Burger King), but the Isles somehow thought that sort of style was going to go over well as a main set. Had the Bruins gone and made Pooh the primary like Sinden wanted, I could see them contending for "most ill-fated NHL branding move of all time".

An ugly as sin alternate is an ugly alternate, teams have those all the time. It takes a special kind of branding disaster to make a look that you intend to be your main jerseys that goes over so :censored:ing poorly you have to hurriedly try to tape over the wounds only a season afterward.

what are you on about? the original post in this thread is about an islanders alternate jersey.

That Kings jersey is kind of fun and introduces a new logo and tries something. Same for the Islanders of the 90's, which is only reviled due to what team wore it and when, but if it'd been for an expansion franchise called the New York Islanders it'd be perfect. It's got personality, the colors are fun, it makes a statement, and it has a logo where someone who knows what they're doing put in an effort. In the fisherman's case the problem is the context not the concept. In the OP's case, if that black uniform was worn by an expansion franchise called the New York Islanders nobody would have any love for it. It's devoid of any redeeming design quality or charm. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, Sport said:

That Kings jersey is kind of fun and introduces a new logo and tries something. Same for the Islanders of the 90's, which is only reviled due to what team wore it and when, but if it'd been for an expansion franchise called the New York Islanders it'd be perfect. It's got personality, the colors are fun, it makes a statement, and it has a logo where someone who knows what they're doing put in an effort. In the fisherman's case the problem is the context not the concept. In the OP's case, if that black uniform was worn by an expansion franchise called the New York Islanders nobody would have any love for it. It's devoid of any redeeming design quality or charm. 

This.

The only 3 uniforms I personally think should even be in contention for worst NHL Jersey are the one I nominated, the Turdburger, and that Thrashers thing.

In my opinion, just about any uniform that does something that none others have done before (within reason), can't qualify as the absolute worst of all time. That's why the flying V isn't a realistic contender, it was unlike anything before or since, and it's still talked about today. It has legend status and kitsch value. The Burger King and Fisherman jerseys are under that same umbrella, they try to be unique and they succeed at it. 

The Turdburger is an abomination. But trying to be as objective as possible, it does have a few things going for it that the Isles one doesn't. 

It uses the actual color scheme of its team in a different way that *attempts* to be interesting, and it has a logo on its chest, a nice one. That's it, but that's 2 more than the Isles got.

In fact, I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say that the only 2 jerseys in NHL History that don't have one positive attribute are my nominee and the red Thrashers Alt. Is that crazy?

Also, that road Oilers jersey is a dark horse and has always been near the top of my worst list, but the logo saves it from true contention imo. 

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

3 hours ago, Sport said:

I don't disagree, but what I think makes the Burger King jersey, the Thrashers alt, and OP's Isles alt particularly worse the rest is because they adhere to the uniform standards of different sports. The Burger King jersey may as well be a 90s soccer jersey, while the others look more like football jerseys than hockey uniforms.

All the jerseys introduce something new, and the Kings' alt introduces something fun, but none of them work within the confines of hockey as a sport. The Kings' jersey is the worst of 'em because it introduced gradients and a chest patch, which have never been used in hockey. The other jerseys were certainly unconventional, but still used elements that made a little sense in hockey. Collegiate teams use the football-style text/number, and the striping was relatively normal, though still bad, during the Reebok Edge period.

The fishsticks jerseys are the only ones in this thread so far that introduce something both new and fun that actually makes sense in the sport of hockey, IMO. They don't belong in this thread at all.

On 3/1/2021 at 2:30 PM, Ridleylash said:

That's not really even the worst Islanders jersey of all time, OP. That title goes to the legendary Fisherman;

spacer.png

Like, everything about this is just bad. The unnecessary inclusions of teal and gray to the team's color scheme, the 70's acid trip striping, the contorted NOB to fit on said acid trip striping, the cheesy logo...the fact a team in the highest level of American pro hockey wore this as a primary jersey (unlike other infamous 90's disasterpieces which had the courtesy of being alternates) makes it easily the worst of all time.

People want it back, but they want it as an alternate jersey. a compliment to the brand. There's a reason it generated chants like "We Want Fishsticks" and lasted all of one season as their primary brand before the Fisherman was given concrete shoes out at Montauk Point.

It's easy to call the Fisherman Jersey the worst based on being radically different but at least it had a consistent theme. The black Islanders jersey had no theme. Someone got a little too chaotic in Create-a-Uniform mode.

The timing of the jersey also made no sense. It was right around the time the Mets and Knicks removed black from their colors. That era of BFBS seemed over. Islanders were those people who jump into a trend as it ended. 

XM4KeeA.png

On 3/1/2021 at 1:30 PM, Ridleylash said:

spacer.png

Eh, at least this one has character.  Swap out the fisherman with the lighthouse logo and it becomes a pretty workable - albeit very 90's kitschy - look.

The football style jerseys done for the Isles, Stars, Thrashers etc. are devoid of all personality and that makes them considerably worse than something that is merely dated.

Archived