Convince Me This Isn't the Worst NHL Jersey of All Time.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/4/2021 at 2:15 PM, SSmith48 said:

Surprised this bad idea of a throwback look hasn't popped up yet:

10 Ugliest NHL Jerseys of All-Time – Hockey Lists

Eh, that's a one-off centennial jersey that was designed in 1912. It's a time capsule of the infant days of hockey aesthetics (and also predates the NHL). That's a bit different a case from a hideously-designed alternate from the modern era of hockey design. Feels like ripping on the Packers' blue alts because they're not perfectly aligning with modern design sensibilities.

Like, here's the Ottawa jerseys from the same time period;

spacer.png

And here's a Haileybury jersey;

spacer.png

This wasn't exactly a time where hockey had really developed a modern sense of aesthetic. Lots of stripes were just...the norm.

On 3/1/2021 at 11:30 AM, Ridleylash said:

the cheesy logo...

I've said it before and I'll say it again: change the logo to proper Islanders colors, get rid of the toothpaste stripe and put it on a normal jersey and you've got a much better logo.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

IMO all of you are wrong, none of the jerseys any of you have posted are the worst ever, for the simple reason that all of them at least have something happening in them, be they odd colour choices, weird striping patterns, or what have you. Even ironically, they can be enjoyed or appreciated for the attempt that was made at something different or unique, even if most of them failed miserably.

It's why my pick for the worst NHL jersey of all time is the Tampa Bay Lightning's current alternate: 
USATSI_12124604-e1549661815180-1024x682.jpg
No colour. No striping. Numbers that are hard to read. Shoulder patches you can barely even make out. Just black from head-to-toe, with a tiny, barely-visible grey gradient accenting the limbs; a barren, empty, boring void. 

Say what you will about the old barberpoles or the Fisherman jersey, but those at least were loud and obnoxious; they demand your attention. Even the Isles' old black alternate has splashes of blue and orange to keep things interesting; the wordmark is bad and it doesn't fit the Islanders, but the rest of it is serviceable in a vacuum. At least the Avs' Stadium Series sweater from last year is at least trying something different, even if it fails at it. At least the Oilers' Edge jerseys featured some kind of colour, and half-an-arm stripe; it's very little but it's something.

The Bolts' alternates do none of that, for they feature, and represent, nothing. Minimalism at its very worst, taken to its natural conclusion: dull, lifeless nihilism.

The only good part of those jerseys is the New Era snapback I got with the reflective silver underbill and logo. I hate those things.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

On 3/5/2021 at 12:06 AM, mcj882000 said:

IMO all of you are wrong, none of the jerseys any of you have posted are the worst ever, for the simple reason that all of them at least have something happening in them, be they odd colour choices, weird striping patterns, or what have you. Even ironically, they can be enjoyed or appreciated for the attempt that was made at something different or unique, even if most of them failed miserably.

It's why my pick for the worst NHL jersey of all time is the Tampa Bay Lightning's current alternate: 
USATSI_12124604-e1549661815180-1024x682.jpg
No colour. No striping. Numbers that are hard to read. Shoulder patches you can barely even make out. Just black from head-to-toe, with a tiny, barely-visible grey gradient accenting the limbs; a barren, empty, boring void. 

Say what you will about the old barberpoles or the Fisherman jersey, but those at least were loud and obnoxious; they demand your attention. Even the Isles' old black alternate has splashes of blue and orange to keep things interesting; the wordmark is bad and it doesn't fit the Islanders, but the rest of it is serviceable in a vacuum. At least the Avs' Stadium Series sweater from last year is at least trying something different, even if it fails at it. At least the Oilers' Edge jerseys featured some kind of colour, and half-an-arm stripe; it's very little but it's something.

The Bolts' alternates do none of that, for they feature, and represent, nothing. Minimalism at its very worst, taken to its natural conclusion: dull, lifeless nihilism.

I think TV static is something. Its a great jersey because when I turn on my tv to tune into a hockey game, I love also getting the simulated experience that someone cut my cable box. 2 for 1. Thanks Tampa

2 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I would love if Tampa had those colors full time.

If they were the Storm, Thunder or something like that, sure. As the Lightning, a bright blue works just fine for them. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

17 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I would love if Tampa had those colors full time.

What colors? The whole uniform is devoid of color. Really boring for a city like Tampa. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

If ever there was a team that should adopt "volt" as a color, it's the Lightning.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I love that Tampa jersey because as a long, suffering Canucks fan, I can say that the Flying V is no longer the absolutely worst jersey ever.

I don't mind going out of the box a little bit with the design, as long as it somewhat still resembles a regular jersey with some type of stripes, but I don't know how anyone could have given the okay on those.

12 minutes ago, AgentColon2 said:

I tend to let awful alts slide if they’re not used often.

My least favorite regular jersey is this waste of space.

spacer.png

Those are bad, certainly. But they're bad because they're incredibly bland, not because they're an eyesore.

On 3/15/2021 at 8:04 AM, AgentColon2 said:

I tend to let awful alts slide if they’re not used often.

My least favorite regular jersey is this waste of space.

spacer.png

If the base was green, not black, then IMO, it would be passable. nothing special, but passable. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 3/1/2021 at 12:45 AM, Bruins said:

Worn from 2011-2014 by the New York Islanders. It Features BFBS and GFGS, 5 Colors, No Chest Logo, A Lighter Colored Helmet than Jersey, and Weird Diamond-y Things on the Sides.

It's the Worst. Prove Me Wrong.

The Islanders themselves have had worse sweaters than this. 

Archived