Anaheim Ducks Winter Classic

Midwest_surfer

So I like thinking of ways to put Winter Classic games in non-traditional hockey markets. I have done Arizona/Vegas and the Florida Teams, and now I am trying to get a Los Angeles Winter Classic concept off the ground but this one is proving to be harder than the other two. The Kings logo/jerseys won't be an issue since they came around with the Expansion Six, and there was even a team back in the 40s called the LA Monarchs that I can draw inspiration from.

The problem I am having is with the Ducks. I am stuck between trying to embrace their Disney heritage, and do a "What if Disney had the expansion team in the 50s" fauxback for them, or ignore that part of their history and use their current colors and branding and try to make the D Foot thing vintage looking.

Here are two versions of the same logo I am working on but I think I am trying to force something that just isn't there. Even though I literally used a frame from an old Donald Duck cartoon for reference, I think the style still looks too modern for a Winter Classic. I even looked at some old Oregon Ducks logos for reference but I want it to be recognizably Disney if I do decide to go this route.

SNQy5ut.png

GFAW7S5.png

I think there has to be something cool I can do with the Disney fauxback idea but I am just not finding it. Anyway, please let me know what you guys think. And if you have any suggestions on how I can improve this whole thing I would love to hear them.

I changed the colors to match up with the current branding and I think I like it better for a Winter Classic set. The eggplant and teal, while awesome, don't really lend themselves to a "Classic" jersey. I think I am going to stick with this color palate but I still don't know if the art style here can work with a retro jersey. I am also thinking about different fonts and I think if I am going to run with a Disney classic, the Disneyland park font would make sense, but maybe only for promotional material, as olde english looking fonts don't really work for nameplates.

ebE3c5v.png

1cWsuNQ.png

Alright normally, I would polish these a little more before showing them off, but I had this idea last night and I am too excited about it. Keep in mind this is a super rough draft, but I think I cracked how to give a vintage look to the Ducks, without relying too much on their Disney past.

dcbNdH3.png

pUeawbw.png

wy1pNxy.png

I think I am going to stick with the green one for now, maybe do an eggplant background on it. Anyway, please let me know what you guys think, C+C are more than welcome

46 minutes ago, Midwest_surfer said:

Alright normally, I would polish these a little more before showing them off, but I had this idea last night and I am too excited about it. Keep in mind this is a super rough draft, but I think I cracked how to give a vintage look to the Ducks, without relying too much on their Disney past.

dcbNdH3.png

I think I am going to stick with the green one for now, maybe do an eggplant background on it. Anyway, please let me know what you guys think, C+C are more than welcome

This is great!  I agree that you should stick with the green version, it works best with the gold bill.