Crossover: eSports(OWL) x Hockey (Justice Third & NYXL Update)

Dexatron19

1 hour ago, darthjocan said:

This is beautiful. I love the incorporation of the stars on the sleeves and the numbers inside. And the pants are great too. My only critique would be to try a black helmet with the dark jersey. I get wanting to use green, but I don't think it works. 

Thanks for the feedback on the Outlaws. I actually did have a black helmet to go with the black jersey for awhile, but I wanted to see how green would look and forgot to change it back.

So now on to the next team. The Seoul Dynasty.

Seoul is the only team in the OWL to use Gold as a color. When the OWL first started everyone thought this was the team that was going to win it all. But they have only ever gotten as far as the Grand Finals weekend once. But, now on to the uniforms. The Dynasty are one of two teams that will have a shiny fabric (like Vegas in the NHL). I am not completely sold on the DYNASTY wordmark on the front on the primary jersey, but I did like it so I kept it there to show them off.

spacer.png

Update Overhaul of the London Spitfire.

Like I said with the original Spitfire set. "Overall this is a simple design, but now that I am posting it I am realizing that this is very close to a Flyers jersey." So, out with that set and in with a new set. No more different color nameplate. A completely new design for the Spitfire, that I like more than the original.

spacer.png

C&C is always welcome.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing on the Dynasty and the Spitfire. So on to the next team. The Vancouver Titans.

The last of the two Canadian teams. The Titans are owned by the Canucks Sports & Entertainment group, as if the colors didn't already give that away. But for the uniforms I did not want to stray away from what the Canucks currently wear. But you can see I did make one change away from the Canucks. The sleeve stripe has three peaks in it. That is suppose to mimic the top of the Titans logo.

spacer.png

No updates for any teams today.

C&C is always welcome.

Definitely liking the update to the Spitfire; looks much better with a waist stripe.

Seoul looks really classy, though I think you were right on the away to put the wordmark on the helmet rather than on the stripe. On the sleeve, I'm curious, is the striping supposed to make a V shape? Either way, I like it.

Chengdu is perfect! Its striping is sorta similar to (and way nicer than) Guangzhou, but I don't think that's a problem.

Like the update to the Glads. The LA on the shoulders should be white at home, though.

I'd be curious to see the Uprising with the numbers below the yoke? Either way, it's an interesting idea; can't decide if I like it.

Paris is fun and feels very appropriate to the locale. I like the logo treatment on the white jersey. Only suggestion there would be to make the collar match the jersey color. 

Not feeling the Titans, personally, though a lot of it isn't your fault (not a big fan of the logo or Canucks branding in general). I like the callout to the "Vancouver" wordmark from Canucks jerseys, but the straight line of text doesn't work with this logo. I'd shrink the logo a bit, and put the text (maybe slightly bigger and/or bolder) on a circle above the logo. You could make the thicknesses of the white pants striping smaller (or maybe ditch all the white outlines?)

You've done more good work here!

On 3/16/2021 at 1:31 PM, vtgco said:

You've done more good work here!

Thank you so much for the feedback. I share your feelings about Vancouver, they're definitely going to be a team that gets an update, maybe an overhaul like the Spitfire did. 

But now after missing a day. On to the next team. The Philadelphia Fusion.

The Fusion were one of two teams that originally used Orange as their primary color. But after the first season they switched from Orange to Black. Philly is owned by the same group that owns the Flyers, Wings, and former owners of the 76ers. Fun fact about the Fusion, they released a concept branding for their team that showed they were originally going to be closer to the Eagles in color. But now on to the uniforms. I really went hard with mimicking the logo with the design. The stripe is suppose to be the atoms path with the sleeve number on the left sleeve being within that atom. 

spacer.png 

Back at it tomorrow with the last of the international teams.

C&C is always welcome.

Ok so this is really great. I was popping over here to read something cool like this so I'm really grateful you put this awesome set together! What a cool idea.

It's so good, I feel like I need to talk about every team so here I go... (sorry for the novel...)

Toronto Defiant
Cool to see something unique in Toronto! The striping almost feels like a bunch of razorblades stacked end-to-end... which is really awesome. Maybe match that on the waist stripe too? Would be cool to see the arm numbers on either side of the arm-stripe a-la some NFL teams.

Guangzhou Charge
Charge look great - and would be a cool set for the Lightning too! I feel like the arm stripes could have more aggressive angles to give more of that 'bolt' feel (without going too far) - but I really appreciate your moderation too! Overall great set. Maybe a bit more of that (aqua?) blue to bring more 'electricity'?

Washington Justice
Yeah these are great. Maybe the stars could be a bit smaller?
Great work I really like these!

Hangzhou Spark
These are straight-up fantastic. I like the update with matching arms, but like the wordmark-less crest a little better. Such a fun palette and restraint was a good call!

LA Gladiators
This looks great and the update looks even better. It's a varsity feel that I think works really well with their crest.

LA Valiant
I love all of this. I'd like the away more if the chest logo was blue, and maybe thicken the tiny stroke on the arms and waist. But this is a really cool look for a clever logo and awesome palette. If I was picking teams I might be an LA fan for that home set

Dallas Fuel
I like it! I agree the 'Fuel' on the arms look out of place, but it looks great without them. What if the flames were a feature inside the arm-strokes opposed to on-top?

Paris Eternal
The is so weird I like it. Striping picks up some vibes from the logo which is cool. Can't say that I ever like numbers on the front, but it does add some interest to the chest panel. Waist striping could help, but with the red pants I kinda like the blocking this creates. On the home jersey I'd drop some white behind the strokes to bring in the colour as you did on the white version and see how that looks. Overall though I really like it. I've stared at this a while!

Boston Uprising
I'm mixed! I like it, but it also feels too busy? Pretty much anything I've tried thinking about is just turfing creativity

Chengdu Hunters
I like what you did here!

Houston Outlaws
Yeah these look awesome. Bit of a practical design bit here, but the numbers in the stars will be small or the star will have to be super large to work - but I love the idea. What if the star was smaller and sat under the numbers?

Seoul Dynasty 
That’s a good looking dark team! I think it looks better without the wordmark myself. For such a black-heavy primary, I’d maybe try bringing a bit more black (something I rarely say…) into the design. Maybe on the waist extend the black all the way and enlarge the black cuffs a bit? Would be interesting to see how that arm stripe works with arm numbers

London Spitfire
I think I like the original better, but I do like the nameplate update and the waist stripe. I don't know why, but I really liked the original design for aviation. For something a bit more unique, what if you squared off the yoke as you did in the update, but matched it with the swooping arms like the original? Thinking of the London Bridge as an inspiration there.

Vancouver Titans
Great looking set from a good roadmap! The logo feels flat though on the home jersey, but a white keyline should help. On the white I'm not in love with the typography of 'Vancouver'. I like what you did there with the striping! I'd make that white stroke on the arms a bit thicker (on the away too).

Philadelphia Fusion
I like what you did on the arms here quite a bit. I think he circle would be large but look pretty darn good. I'm on the fence about the arms being different as I can see why you did it to carry the stroke... which is cool! I'd taper the stroke a bit like the Ducks to match the logo, but these look sharp! Big big big fan of those pants

I don't know anything about them besides what you wrote... but go Valiant. Those are beauts 😍

On 3/18/2021 at 7:02 PM, Split98 said:

Ok so this is really great. I was popping over here to read something cool like this so I'm really grateful you put this awesome set together! What a cool idea.

It's so good, I feel like I need to talk about every team so here I go... (sorry for the novel...)

Thank you so much for the feedback, I didn't mind the novel at all. I actually really like all the feedback you gave.

But now after the weekend break how about I show off two teams. And now on to the Shanghai Dragons and Miami Mayhem.

First up the Shanghai Dragons. The Dragons went down in the sports history books in the first season of the OWL and not for a good reason. The Dragons went 0-40 in the inaugural season, making them have the worst record of any sports team ever, at least according to ESPN. But since that first season they have gone 40-17 over the last two seasons, and in the third season making it to the Grand Finals weekend. But now onto the uniforms I wanted to follow the shape of the logo for the design of the uniform. The Dragons are one of two teams that has shoulder numbers. They also have on of the more unique helmet designs, like the Seahawks in the NFL, the dragon on the helmet connects in the back.

spacer.png

The Miami Mayhem, the second of the two teams that uses Pink in the OWL. However they didn't originally use the Vice colors, instead they used Red and Yellow, and were apart of a lot of McDonalds jokes. For the design I wanted to use the bomb logo main feature. The numbers on the sleeve are within the bomb logo, like the Fusion and the Outlaws. The helmet design like the Dragons doesn't follow the normal helmet design. Instead an large Palm Tree fuse takes the place on a small logo or name. For the secondary uniform I was stuck between which color to use for the sleeves, I ended up going with black in the end, but I do have designs with Pink and Blue.

spacer.png

C&C is always welcome.

Nothing on the Dragons or the Mayhem. So on to the next team. The Atlanta Reign  

The Reign joined the OWL in the second year as the league expanded to a lot of new cities. They do use a shade of red like every other team in Atlanta, but it is a darker shade of red. When I was designing the Reigns uniforms I almost did a call back to the Thrashers which you still might see later , but instead I went a different route. Like the Dynasty the Reign are the other team to use a shiny fabric for everything that is silver. As well as being the second of the two teams that have a shoulder numbers.

spacer.png

Only two more teams to go.

C&C is always welcome.

19 hours ago, NashConcepts said:

This is awesome! What font are you using for the jersey numbers?

Jersey Number font is 4th and Inches     The Nameplate font is Academic M54.

On to the next team and some updates to the Outlaws and the Valiant. But first the New York Excelsior.

The Excelsior or NYXL have always been contenders in the OWL, but they have always struggled to get to the Grand Finals Weekend. They have the second best overall record of the teams that have been in the OWL since its first season, only behind the Fusion. But now on to the uniforms. I will admit NYXL does not have the best logo, but it did inspire me to do the only chest stripe of all the teams in the OWL. As well as the secondary jersey might just be my favorite jersey that I have done in the entire OWL.

spacer.png

Now on to some updates. First for the Houston Outlaws.

No big changes here just a helmet change color for the primary jersey, no changes to the secondary uniform.

spacer.png

Next is a small update to the LA Valiant.

No big changes to the primary uniform, fixed the collar so that it is yellow all the way around. The secondary jersey, like the primary, has a fully sky blue collar. Biggest change to the secondary jersey is the sky blue outline on the logo on the chest.

spacer.png

Only one more team to go.

C&C is always welcome and appreciated. 

Guest darkpiranha

Great job on translating these into hockey.  They feel like they've always been hockey logos.  I also have to say that as a league, that's a rock solid set of logos that's been developed for those e-sports teams.  The fact that they translate so seamlessly into other sports shows just how solid and classic they are.  And that Houston Outlaws logo?  That may be my favorite non-big-four-sports logo I've seen.  I haven't compared these with their e-sports originals.  Have done any tweaks to any of these?  It would be neat to see how the original teams implemented the logos to be able to appreciate just how far you had to go to make them feel like traditional hockey logos.

On 3/24/2021 at 10:58 AM, QCS said:

I like what you did with New York! You've really made the best of a bad situation and I dig it. The updates to the Outlaws and Valiant are both great as well.

Thanks for the feedback. NYXL is one of my favorite sets and the update in the OWL. 

On 3/25/2021 at 12:17 AM, darkpiranha said:

I haven't compared these with their e-sports originals.  Have done any tweaks to any of these?  It would be neat to see how the original teams implemented the logos to be able to appreciate just how far you had to go to make them feel like traditional hockey logos.

I haven't actually tweaked any of the logos much. The first two seasons the teams all had the same templated design with the team logo on the front. A new brand called Staple took over the production of the jerseys last season and still have a templated design for all team, instead of the logo they put team names and the chest and the logos were placed on the shoulders.

But now on to the Final set for the OWL. The San Francisco Shock.

The Back-to-Back champions of the OWL. A dominant team over the last two years. The Shock are one of the favorites going into this upcoming season as well. But now onto the uniforms. The Shock, like the Fusion, originally used Orange but switched to Gray after the first season. I went through 3-4 different designs before I landed on this design. The shockwave logo is the primary sleeve design. The SHOCK on the primary jersey is the only diagonal script of all the teams in the OWL at the moment. The secondary jersey instead has the SF logo on the chest.

spacer.png

An update to the Seoul Dynasty

Biggest change to both sets is the pants now have a stripe to match the uniforms. No changes to the secondary jersey. The primary jersey has the DYNASTY removed from the waste stripe. And the helmet is now chrome gold, thank the Golden Knights for that idea, mostly to break up the completely black set that it originally was.

spacer.png

And with that all OWL team sets are done. Third Jerseys will be coming soon. As well as more updates.

Philadelphia looks great. The electron orbit sleeve striping is really out there without being over the top. My only suggestion would be to go with different colors for the sleeve numbers on each sleeve (orange numbers on black, black numbers on orange and white)

Shanghai's helmet is a really cool touch! I'd go red dominant rather than black on the white jersey, though, and use red pants for both.

Not feeling the design for the Mayhem. The bomb for the numbers are fine, but the color blocking makes the sleeves too heavy. Maybe cut off the sleeve striping instead of going all the way to the bottom?

Okay, not surprising that the Excelsior are really hard to deal with. I like the idea in theory but the V's are kinda big, and they really need a background stripe rather than just going straight onto the main jersey color. Easiest way to explain my suggestion to fix it is just a picture: BDuFEsU.png. I think the whole thing could go on top of navy or white.

Updates to the Valiant and Dynasty are good; I think you've got them down.

I love the San Francisco jersey! The sound wave striping is really great; I especially like it on the pants. Good call to use the diagonal wordmark at home and the logo on the road. Only one complaint: the gray helmet's wordmark should match the jersey. Not a complaint, but I'd love to see the white set without any gray on it. It'd be like baseball jerseys, where the gray or white are just backdrops for team colors, except this would be gray at home!

Anyways, congrats on finishing off the league! Never imagined that I'd see a full OWL concept series here, but you've done a really nice job. Looking forward to the third jerseys.

On 3/26/2021 at 10:06 PM, vtgco said:

Anyways, congrats on finishing off the league! Never imagined that I'd see a full OWL concept series here, but you've done a really nice job. Looking forward to the third jerseys.

Thanks for all the feedback. I never imagined I would actually finish the main sets for every team in the OWL, mostly because I have never finished a thread I started here on the boards. I will take most to all of your suggestions into account when I go to update these last couple of teams.

But now after a long time between posts. I am back with the first Third uniform set. No updates today, as I really had no time since my last post to work on updating any of the teams.

So here's how the Third uniforms will be presented. The left picture will always be the actual Third jersey the team had, if I used it as inspiration. Middle picture will be the actual uniform set. The right picture will always be another inspiration for the uniform set if there is one.

But now onto the first of the teams to get a Third jersey. The Atlanta Reign.

Like I hinted back in the original Reign set, the Third uniform is based off one of the Thrashers uniforms. The peach color actually comes from their Third jersey from the one year they had one. I used the dark red that they normally use as a accent color. Also the number and name fonts match that of what the Thrashers used. The Reign are one of the only teams, that I currently have the Third uniform finished for, that use White as the primary color for the Third set.

spacer.png

So now with the Third Uniform for the Reign posted. Here is the Full Set for the Atlanta Reign.

spacer.png

Nothing on the Third for the Reign. So on to the next team.

First up is an update to the Shanghai Dragons.

Only an update to the Secondary jersey for the Dragons. Went with a more Red based uniform, as was suggested. Eliminated all yellow on the Secondary jersey and made the Black outline thicker than it normally was on the Primary.

spacer.png

Now for the Third for the LA Gladiators.

Not hard to see what I used as a reference here, the Kings Stadium Series uniform from when they played the Avalanche. Didn't want to do black on white, instead it is black on purple, with a white outline to try to make sure the two colors wouldn't blend to much. Oversized logo on the Right arm, and the GLADIATORS name logo wraps around the waste of the uniform.

spacer.png

Now with the Third for the Gladiators posted. Here is the full set for the Los Angeles Gladiators:

spacer.png

As always all C&C is welcome and appreciated. 

Nothing on the update to the Dragons or the Third for the Gladiators. So on to the next update and third.

First an update to the Philadelphia Fusion.

No big changes here, just a sleeve number color change on each set. Instead of Gray numbers on both sets, the Primary now has White sleeve numbers. While the Secondary jersey has Orange sleeves numbers.

spacer.png

Now the Third for the Dallas Fuel.

The Third for the Fuel is inspired by their actual Third jerseys. I wanted to keep the monochromatic look that the original had. But I wanted to add something to it so that was more that just a dark blue jersey with darker blue accents. So, I added what is basically racing stripes on the sleeves and shoulders only breaking up to have the sleeve numbers.

spacer.png

Now that the Third is posted, here is the full set for the Dallas Fuel.

spacer.png

As always all C&C is welcome and appreciated. 

Thanks for the feedback on the updates and Thirds. On to the next update and Third set now.

First an update to the San Francisco Shock.

As was suggested by vtgco, I fixed the helmet sticker on the Primary set to match the wordmark of the jersey. And the Secondary set is now Black accented rather than gray.

spacer.png

Now to the Third Uniform for the Houston Outlaws.

Not to hard to see what this uniform was inspired by, its not like I also show you pictures of the inspiration either  the Astros famous or infamous Tequila Sunrise uniforms. But at the current moment, the Outlaws Third design is the same design as the Primary and Secondary sets, I really only did that because I just really like the base design for the Outlaws. But as you can tell this is a Light Green Tequila Sunrise design on a hockey jersey. This isn't the first time I've done something with the Tequila Sunrise design. There is a sublimated OUTLAWS name on the upper chest to mimic the out Astros uniform. And lastly to match the old Astros set, a number is on the front of the right leg.

spacer.png

Now that the Outlaws Third is posted. Here is the full set for the Houston Outlaws:

spacer.png

As always all C&C is welcome and appreciated

Love that Atlanta third! Colors are great and the Thrashers callback is really well done.

I don't think the outline is thick enough for the LA third, unfortunately, and the sleeve logo is almost invisible at first glance. Nice idea though, and the Glads' font is certainly better than the Kings' font for a jersey.

Dallas's third is a nice design, but I'd be curious to see a version with light blue numbers and/or yoke stripes that don't have horizontal outlines where they meet the numbers.

Houston's third is the best jersey for them. I appreciate that you used the old Astros block font instead of the standard league font.

On 4/5/2021 at 12:01 PM, vtgco said:

Love that Atlanta third! Colors are great and the Thrashers callback is really well done.

I don't think the outline is thick enough for the LA third, unfortunately, and the sleeve logo is almost invisible at first glance. Nice idea though, and the Glads' font is certainly better than the Kings' font for a jersey.

Dallas's third is a nice design, but I'd be curious to see a version with light blue numbers and/or yoke stripes that don't have horizontal outlines where they meet the numbers.

Houston's third is the best jersey for them. I appreciate that you used the old Astros block font instead of the standard league font.

Thanks for all the feedback. The Atlanta Third was one I had thought of basically when I started to design all the teams. I am just happy it came out so good. I also did think the outline was a little thin for the Glads third, but I didn't want make it to thick. I did have a version of the Dallas Third with light blue numbers, but I liked it better with the dark numbers and a light blue outline. The Outlaws Third was almost completely different, originally I had the tequila sunrise design on the sleeves and not on the main part of the jersey.

Now to another round of updates and thirds.

First an update to the Miami Mayhem.

Big changes to both sets of uniforms. Sleeve designs changed, the bomb is now on its own and a stripe has been added to the lower part of the arm that matches the waist stripe. The sleeve numbers have been made bigger now that there is more space for them. Other than that there are collar changes for each set, fully pink collar with a light blue trim for the primary. And a fully black collar with light blue trim for the secondary unifrom.

spacer.png

Now the Third uniform for the Shanghai Dragons.

Unlike with the other teams so far, there was no inspiration for the design of the Dragons Third. I wanted to have one team that had an oversized logo and I thought the Dragons were the team to do that with. The right sleeve does have a scale design on the entire sleeve, I don't know if I am fully sold on it, but I liked it enough to show it off. Left sleeve has the DRAGONS wordmark on it. And their Third is the only Third, that I have done at the moment, that has the name below the number on the back.

spacer.png

Now that the Third for Shanghai has been posted. Here is the Full set for the Shanghai Dragons.

spacer.png

As always all C&C is welcome and appreciated

Archived