Crossover: eSports(OWL) x Hockey (Justice Third & NYXL Update)

Dexatron19

It has been over 2 years since I posted any concepts on this website and finally I am back with a new thread. While I might be wrong here, I believe this is the first time on the boards that a crossover has happened between a traditional sport and eSport teams. At the current moment I have only started working on the Overwatch League teams, because of the teams are named like traditional sports team: City/Area/State and a Nickname. Depending on how this thread goes I might start doing third uniform sets as well as the COD League and then maybe eSport organizations. One thing I will say now all uniforms will share the same fonts when it comes to the nameplate and the numbers, that is the only similarity between the jerseys the players wear and these concepts. If I get into third uniforms that is when I'll make it more unique for each team.

Overwatch League: 

You found the secret. Congrats 

So to get started, I am going to choose 1 of the 2 Canadian teams in the OWL. The Toronto Defiant.

The main goal I had when designing this was to differentiate away from what the Leafs wear. Granted the colors are the Raptors colors. I ended up with the sleeve design being a "T" that extended to the front and back of the jersey. As well as the little notches in the stripe to mimic the notches is the logo. And the nameplate being the only thing that breaks the stripe. The pants and sock share the striping that is on the jersey just without the notches. I do currently have a couple teams done and this might be one of my favorite sets so far.

spacer.png

Thank you for looking at the Defiant. I'm really excited to be posting concepts again and look forward to the rest of this series.

As always C&C is welcome.

Also I do know this is the adidas template, I put Staple as the uniform provider because they are the jersey manufacturer for the OWL.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooh, this looks promising! I've never been a big fan of Esports, but a lot of the teams I've seen have some really cool brands, especially in the Overwatch league. Hockey seems to be an interesting choice for this idea, as I see a lot of team logos working better on football helmets or baseball caps than on sweaters, but I can't wait to see this play out!

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

20 hours ago, PERRIN said:

Ooh, this looks promising! I've never been a big fan of Esports, but a lot of the teams I've seen have some really cool brands, especially in the Overwatch league. Hockey seems to be an interesting choice for this idea, as I see a lot of team logos working better on football helmets or baseball caps than on sweaters, but I can't wait to see this play out!

The only reason I didn't pick football was because that seems to be the most popular sport to do a crossover with and when it comes to baseball, the OWL had already sold baseball uniforms for some of the teams after the first season. So I didn't want to end up copying some designs. But thank you for your interest in the thread.

Lets get to the second team now. The Guangzhou Charge

I'll be honest with you here. This was an Tampa Bay Lightning concept I've had for almost 3 years at this point. I was never gonna get around to doing what I was hoping was going to be a NHL thread, so I repurposed it as the Charge's set. The Charge are unique in the OWL for using 3 different shades of blue (I know someone is going to say that one of the colors is closer to green than blue). I wanted to keep any white off the dark jersey because I believe that the 3 blues are different enough from each other that they could work together without blending into each other. The only real different between the Dark and the Light jersey is that the light jersey has Guangzhou above the logo.

spacer.png

As always C&C is welcome and appreciated. 

Nothing on the Charge, so on to the next team. The Washington Justice.

Now in my opinion the Justice might just have one of the worst logos in professional sports, I just don't like it. That's why their primary logo has been made a shoulder patch rather than having it be on the front of the jersey. Also, because most teams in OWL only have one logo, the Justice are one of the few teams that have a shoulder patch. Just like the Caps in the NHL the Justice have their name on the front of the jersey. While the striping on the jersey is based off the stripes within the logo. And because every team based out of DC has to have some reference to the DC flag, at least with all the concepts I've seen. Three stars are on the pants.

spacer.png

Nothing on the Justice. So on to the next team. The Pink Nightmares. The Hangzhou Spark

One of only two teams to use Pink in OWL. The Spark being the only team to use Pink as its primary color. With that in mind I did not want to go crazy with this set, as having a Pink jersey on its own is already kind of out there. This set is probably, if not the most, tame set that I have finished so far just because of the two colors that the Spark use. Really the only unique part of the Spark's set is the right sleeve has the Spark wordmark instead of a number.

spacer.png 

On 3/6/2021 at 10:28 AM, QCS said:

Love that set! I'm a "fan" of the Spark simply because their colors and you did it justice. Great work so far!

Thanks for the feedback, the Spark were a fun team to make, but like I said they aren't the only team to use Pink, so be on the lookout for the other pink team in the OWL.

On to the next team. The London Spitfire.

The Spitfire were the champions of the OWL in its first year, and that is reflected by the gold tab on the back of the collar. Overall this is a simple design, but now that I am posting it I am realizing that this is very close to a Flyers jersey, so when I get to updating some of the sets the Spitfire will be one of them. But at the when I made these no team had a fully contrasting sleeve color to the rest of the jersey, and I thought the look worked good with the Spitfire.

spacer.png

As alsways C&C is welcome and appreciated.

Not a fan of the Spitfire's nameplate. I'd rather just see the name below the yoke, especially because the jerseys are so top-heavy. Maybe some more waist stripes would help too.

Guangzhou looks cool, though I'd consider having the navy continue to just above the neon stripe on the away jersey (i.e. no neon touching white), and having a less horizontally-stretched out bolt on the pants.

The Spark's design look great, but the wordmark feels out of place when it's so big on the sleeves, so I'd rather just see another sleeve number. That said, it'd be a shame not to use it since it's so unique, so maybe it could replace the crest on the white jersey? 

On the other hand, the Justice's font isn't unique enough as-is to be a crest. Maybe you could pull a NY Rangers and make it italic and/or diagonal or something?

Only suggestion for Toronto would be to ditch the number outlines to match the crest.

Finally, if you want to use the same fonts for all teams, I think I might prefer a block font without serifs for the names?

Overall, a fun series idea! I'm excited to see how you deal with the Excelsior 😋

Thanks for the feedback on series so far. On to the next team teams. Lets double dip to start the week off.

Here are the LA Gladiators and LA Valiant

LA being the only city to have two teams in the OWL, the Gladiators and Valiant. With the Gladiators I did not want to go to crazy with, mostly because they use two dark colors that could blend together if you look at it for a split second. The stripe on the sleeve is suppose to mimic the inner stripe on the logo. The black on both jerseys is still something I am not fully sold on but I still like how these came out.

spacer.png

The LA Valiant. One of only a few teams in the OWL to have more than one logo. And one of two teams that have changed their colors from what they originally started with. The Valiant started out as a Green and Yellow team, but only after one season did they switch to the better Light Blue and Yellow look. I just do not think you can go wrong with these colors, they look beautiful together. But overall this is one of my top 5 sets that I have done at the moment.

spacer.png

Nothing on the LA teams. So on to the next team. The Dallas Fuel.

The Fuel have some of the best fans in the OWL, even when you consider they have never really had a good season. They share the colors of the Mavs and while they do use Navy as their primary color. I made their primary jersey the brighter blue because it just pops. And I didn't want to have over half the OWL having a dark color for the primary jersey. Overall though, this is a simple design, I did add the flame to the top stripe on the sleeve. The only thing I am so sure on is the FUEL name on the shoulder, while I like it. I will admit it does kind of seem out of place for a shoulder logo. 

spacer.png

This is a very interesting idea for a series, and I'm a fan of pretty much all of the looks so far. Good color schemes and differentiation in striping and whatnot. I'd say my favorite so far is Guangzhou. Loving the striping and color scheme on them.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

On 3/9/2021 at 9:27 AM, GriffinM6 said:

This is a very interesting idea for a series, and I'm a fan of pretty much all of the looks so far. Good color schemes and differentiation in striping and whatnot. I'd say my favorite so far is Guangzhou. Loving the striping and color scheme on them.

Thanks for the feedback. I felt like it was time for a crossover between eSports teams and traditional sports, because I feel like every sports league has been crossed over with another one at some point on the boards. And one of my main goals was to make sure every team had a different type of stripes and so far I feel like I've done a good job of that.

So we move on to the next team. The Paris Eternal.

Hoops, hoops, and more hoops. Nothing really more to say about the design other than Hoops. I did have a hard time figuring out what to do with the Eternal, but after about three or four different designs I landed on this design and fell in love with it. With the hoop striping Paris has one of the more unique designs in the OWL. The Eternal are only one of two teams that will have a number on the front of the jersey.

spacer.png

As always C&C is welcome and appreciated. 

The next team will be the halfway mark for teams in the OWL.

Nothing on Paris, so on to the next team. The Boston Uprising.

The Uprising are owned by Robert Kraft, who owns the Patriots and Revolution. But this is the only team that he owns that does not use Red and Navy Blue as the teams colors. Instead the Uprising are Royal Blue, Yellow, and Black. Overall the Boston was one of, if not, the hardest teams to make a set for. I ended up with a shoulder stripe that extends to the mid-sleeve, and it is suppose to mimic the logo. I can see myself doing a big update or overhaul on Boston, but still I do like how these came out.

spacer.png

As always C&C is welcome and appreciated.

Boston marks the halfway point for OWL teams, the next post will be updates for the first batch of teams. Not counting Boston.

I have finished all of the sets for the OWL teams and have started to begin on third jerseys. I will continue to post one set a day, which could become two depending on how the feedback is.

Nothing on Boston. So onto some updates for the Toronto and Guangzhou here.

Starting off with Toronto.

No big changes here, took the feedback I got for them and made the changes. I did actually forget to give the white uniform a white helmet to go with it, so I fixed that here. 

spacer.png

The Guangzhou Charge are the second team getting updated.

Again I took the feedback I was given and made the changes, biggest change is the pants. Changed the bolt design there. Nothing on the primary jersey, and a striping update on the white jersey.

spacer.png

C&C is always welcome and appreciated.

I did not want to put all the updates into one post, so I might start posting a team and a update starting with the next team.

17 hours ago, Bruhammydude said:

I like these so far, they are very out there considering the teams you are dealing with, while also still looking like professional hockey uniforms.

Thank you, that was one of my main goals was to make them look professional given that they are eSports teams. But I will admit some of the teams that are coming up will be a little out there, because at some point I just said they're eSport teams, they can be a little crazy.

So now on to the next team. The Chengdu Hunters

The only team to use white as its primary color in the OWL. That is reflected here that their primary uniform is white, again the team in the OWL who would wear white at home games if they were a real thing. The stripe design actually comes straight from the logo, I thought that looked really nice and was happy with how it came out. For the orange jersey, I almost did leave the logo transparent, because that is how it actually is, but its looks a lot better with the head filled in. 

spacer.png

Update for the Hangzhou Spark.

Got rid of the SPARK name on the right sleeve, replaced it with another number. Fixed the right cuff on the primary jersey. On the secondary jersey again got rid of the SPARK on the right sleeve replaced it with the number. Biggest change comes on the chest of the secondary jersey, added the SPARK workmark to the chest and added a smaller logo under it. 

spacer.png

C&C is always welcome and appreciated. 

The Hunters have a great look, no notes there! I like removing the wordmark on the Spark, but I'm not sure how I feel about the wordmark on the chest. It seems a little unnecessary when the logo itself would serve just fine as the identifier. Other than that, great stuff!

the user formerly known as cdclt

Thanks for the feedback on the Hunters and Spark. 

Lets get to the next team. The Houston Outlaws

Houston has a solid color scheme and a amazing logo in my opinion. This was one of the first teams I actually finished, why I waited this long to show them off is a question I dont even know the answer to. But as always I didn't want to go crazy with them and I wanted to focus on the star in their logo, that is why I made it the focal point on the sleeve design. I almost did have the sleeves be green on the white jersey, but decided against it after I saw how good the black looked. My favorite part of this set though has to be the pants, I took the pistol from the logo and put one of each side. Because an outlaw always has to be ready to shoot.

spacer.png

Update for the LA Gladiators

Got rid of the black bottoms on the sleeves for both sets and added a stripe that goes around the waist as well. On the primary jersey the small stripe between the two white stripes is now black. On the secondary jersey the top stripe has been changed to black. Also the logo was made smaller because of the waist stripe

spacer.png

C&C is always welcome.

15 hours ago, Dexatron19 said:

Thanks for the feedback on the Hunters and Spark. 

Lets get to the next team. The Houston Outlaws

Houston has a solid color scheme and a amazing logo in my opinion. This was one of the first teams I actually finished, why I waited this long to show them off is a question I dont even know the answer to. But as always I didn't want to go crazy with them and I wanted to focus on the star in their logo, that is why I made it the focal point on the sleeve design. I almost did have the sleeves be green on the white jersey, but decided against it after I saw how good the black looked. My favorite part of this set though has to be the pants, I took the pistol from the logo and put one of each side. Because an outlaw always has to be ready to shoot.

spacer.png

This is beautiful. I love the incorporation of the stars on the sleeves and the numbers inside. And the pants are great too. My only critique would be to try a black helmet with the dark jersey. I get wanting to use green, but I don't think it works. 

Archived