Unified Podcast - Official Thread

SportsLogos.Net News

Unified: Anniversary Patches

February 11, 2021 - 15:28 PM

Episode two of Unified, my new podcast project which I am co-hosting with Paul Lukas of UniWatch dropped (the cool kids still say “dropped”, right?) this morning. In this week’s show, a discussion about the Cleveland Browns celebrating their 75th next season led us back through time to look at

Read More...

Unified: MLB 2021 Preview

February 18, 2021 - 15:03 PM

Episode Three of the new UNIFIED podcast co-hosted by Paul Lukas and myself was published today. In it Paul and I discuss the Vegas Golden Knights and those new shiny gold helmets, we take a look at what changes are coming to Major League Baseball logos and uniforms (or lack

Read More...

Unified: The Heroes of Zero

February 25, 2021 - 16:14 PM

Episode Four of our new Unified podcast co-hosted by Paul Lukas of Uni Watch and myself went live today. This week, Paul and I discuss the Jaguars switch to teal, the latest with the Washington Football Team’s quest to find a name, before moving on to our main topic —

Read More...

40 minutes ago, simtek34 said:

And another reason the Newsbot should be discontinued...

You're suggesting that the owner of the site discontinue the bot that posts his own content to his own message boards?

• Like 2

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

And the opposite of 0, in Liga MX, Atlas has a player wearing 218.

I know this topic (0, 00, and triple digit numbers) has come up more than few times, but it’s one I always seem to enjoy.

I haven’t had the time to listen to the podcast yet, but I’ll continue to say it: the NFL and NHL really need to allow the use of 0 and 00; everyone else—NCAA Football now included—allows it. I can’t think of better-fitting numbers for a hockey goalie to wear.

In the NFL, 0 can be for players in the 1-19 position group while 00 can be for any player in the 90-99 position group to wear. At least that’s what I’m thinking.

• Like 1

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

22 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

In the NFL, 0 can be for players in the 1-19 position group while 00 can be for any player in the 90-99 position group to wear. At least that’s what I’m thinking.

It might be an unpopular opinion but WRs should also be allowed to wear 0-9 in the pros as well.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

0 and 00 look ridiculous, but especially in football.  If they were to open up 1-9 for receivers (which I would be against), then they should just make 80s a defensive number again since no young receiver wants an 80s jersey.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I've enjoyed the episodes so far, particularly how Chris and Paul sort of evolved into making uniforms and logos more than just an odd interest (like it always was for me).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Unified: Fixing the NBA Uniform Mess

March 4, 2021 - 15:02 PM

Episode Five of the Unified podcast co-hosted by Paul Lukas of Uni Watch and me, Chris Creamer of SportsLogos.net is up. This week, Paul and I try to fix the mess that is the NBA’s current state of team uniforms. With every team having anywhere between four to six uniforms,

Read More...

The Unified Show: Retired Numbers

March 11, 2021 - 15:20 PM

Episode Six of the Unified podcast co-hosted by Paul Lukas of Uni Watch and me, Chris Creamer of SportsLogos.net is up. In our latest virtual roundtable, Paul and I take a look at retired numbers, the policies some teams have that they routinely break, teams that retired numbers of players

Read More...

• Like 2

On 3/11/2021 at 10:25 AM, SportsLogos.Net News said:

The Unified Show: Retired Numbers

March 11, 2021 - 15:20 PM

Episode Six of the Unified podcast co-hosted by Paul Lukas of Uni Watch and me, Chris Creamer of SportsLogos.net is up. In our latest virtual roundtable, Paul and I take a look at retired numbers, the policies some teams have that they routinely break, teams that retired numbers of players

Read More...

Ah, I hadn't seen this thread.  So I will post here the contents of the e-mail containing comments on episode 6 that I sent to the show at info@unified.show.

Another player who had his number retired while he was still active is Phil Niekro, whose number 35 was retired by the Braves after he signed with the Yankees in 1984. Niekro would again wear that number for the Braves for one game, when he went back there for the final game of his career in late 1987. (Side note: that was the only time in Niekro's career that he wore the tomahawk.)

On the question of league-wide number retirements, I am firmly opposed.  I would rather see individual players be able to express their appreciation. 

This is how Reggie Jackson began wearing number 44. When Jackson came to the Yankees in 1977, he could not wear the number 9 that he had worn with the A's and the Orioles, as that number belonged to Graig Nettles. The Yankees originally assigned Jackson number 20. But a few days into spring training, he elected to take number 44 in honour of Hank Aaron, who had retired after the previous season.

Baseball has institutionalised "Jackie Robinson Day", during which all players wear number 42. In my view, this is less of a tribute to Robinson than it is a day on which Major League Baseball congratulates itself.  (Though I do like seeing all the uniforms without names.)

A player electing to wear number 42 is a much more sincere tribute. It's also better for the education of young fans. Nowadays, Jackie Robinson is mentioned on one April day a year. But when players were free to take number 42, he was mentioned just about every time Mo Vaughn or Butch Huskey came to the plate.

Then there's the case of the un-retired number: number 5 with the Marlins. This number was retired before the team's inaugural 1993 season, for team president Carl Barger, who had died during the winter meetings. The Marlins chose number 5 because Barger's favourite player was Joe DiMaggio.

Eventually the team decided to go back on this decision, and put the number into circulation. I believe that a Marlins player first wore number 5 in the team's 20th season.

Finally, I strongly agree with Paul that the Mets should retire Ed Kranepool's number 7.  This honour should be able to go to a player who is important to his team's history, whether or not the player is an all-time great or a Hall of Famer.  Indeed, I would also advocate that the Mets retire the numbers of Jerry Koosman (36), Rusty Staub (10, not 4), Dwight Gooden (16), and Darryl Strawberry (18).

Similarly, I find it shocking that the Blue Jays have only two retired numbers. The Blue Jays, like the Mets, should retire the numbers not just of hall of Famers but of the players who gave the team its identity. Deserving of the honour for their outsized place in team history are Tony Fernandez (1), Dave Steib (16), and George Bell (11).

However, I disagree with Paul on the question of Willie Mays's number 24 with the Mets. For me, this number should be retired. Some players are so important to their city that their numbers merit retirement, even on the flimsiest connection to a subsequent team. 

The Brewers retired Hank Aaron's number 44, even though Aaron played only two uneventful seasons with the team. Yet his importance to Milwaukee baseball makes this appropriate. The New Orleans Hornets (now Pelicans) retired Pete Maravich's number 7, even though the team was created and then moved to New Orleans well after Maravich died. This, too, strikes me as appropriate. I wouldn't want to see this sort of thing in every instance; but, in the cases of Aaron and Maravich I approve; and I would likewise approve in the case of Mays with the Mets.

Keep up the good work, gentleman.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

And any player that asks a guy who’s received that honor if he can wear his number should go to hell. Since they don’t care about taking awards away from old timers, why not just ask the guy if he can send you his MVP trophies and championship rings too?

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."