Portland Timbers Concept

DrJack

Playing around with an idea here.  I've long thought soccer kits could do a better job of representing the franchise, city, and supporter culture that is unique to them.  Seems to me that often designs are disconnected from that base beyond maybe crests and colors.  Stripes, checkers, hoops, sashes, etc. are all great (and for some clubs those design elements become iconic), but more often they're just an abstract design chosen by a designer.  No basis in narrative.  No story behind it.

So for this Timbers concept, I swung the pendulum back for a more literal interpretation of what the Portland Timbers culture is.  Crunchy, muddy, rainy Pacific Northwest chic.  Roots in logging culture, an evolution towards recreational enjoyment of the outdoors - camping, hiking, and hot coffee mixed with soggy soccer.  So this kit is inspired by this little "Timbers Off-the-Pitch Starter Pack" I cooked up:baHTMU2.png

I softened the color palette to mix in more natural greens (olives, sages, khakis) that you see in the forest.  Heathered the jersey fabric for a more organic feel.  Used the soccer socks to mimic classic hiking socks (can't go wrong with a Kirkland 6-Pack from Costco, imo).  The crest on the jersey, shorts, and the league patch are embossed leather patches, that are tough enough for the elements, but still natural and crafted locally.  Hopefully this is a kit Timber Jim would be proud of.  

wAW3x6f.jpg

I'd love to hear your thoughts and feed back.

This may or may not become a series...  I do want to explore a few other teams and see how their on-field look could better reflect their off-field culture.  We'll see if inspiration strikes...!

Love the inspiration, and I really admire the effort to step outside the box here! I think you’ve really nailed the theme, I get a lot of hiking/outdoors/Eddie Bauer vibes from the look. The embossed leather crest patches are a brilliant idea, as well. I think those are the specific elements, among the others, that really drives that rugged outdoor look home. Very, very nice work! I’d love to see a series as well, I think your approach to kit design would make for an entertaining and interesting series for sure.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Archived