NWSL Kits

upperV03

The art direction is spot on. The name, the colors, the art-deco vibes, the typography; it's all really nice and perfectly fits the team, ownership and location. 

With all that being said, I think this logo is average at best.

That's a rookie-level design mistake.  Additionally:

• Shoehorning in the "hawk-tail"  element does more to visually confuse the design then to add anything of real substance. ("Do angels have bird butts?"
  • The curves in the cuts of the wings are sloppy and are randomly distributed. Look at the cuts in the tail: the top two "feathers" are small with rounded curves on the underside. That is followed by a thick "feather" with a half-rounded under-curve and a heavy cut,  and that is followed by a smaller "feather" with a square curve and a lighter cut.  None of the angles of the cuts are aligned, consistent, or follow any sort of planned pattern or logic. 

The sharp, pointed curves of the "palm-wings" doesn't really match traditional art deco stylings (straight lines and curved edges). Take something like the NAIAS logo (which has some really similar to aspects to the ACFC angel) and how the perfectly horizontal lines naturally fit the LA art deco motif in a way that the more aggressive cuts do not:spacer.pngspacer.png

fc-tulsa-2020-kits+%25281%2529.jpg

spacer.png

I'm probably being harsh here, because when viewed in it's entirety, I do like the branding. 

However, because we've known the name for so long and the typeface created by Matt Wolff was already in place and the art deco direction was clear.  From a designer's standpoint, you can't ask for anything more: the table was set, bases loaded with a 3-0 count and a green light... and they hit a weak fly ball just deep enough to score the run. 

Ultimately, I think it's a good example how important art direction is. My guess is that the things in this brand that resonate with people the most isn't the design itself, but rather the club name, the colors, the idea of an art deco angel,  and the general vibes the identity gives off.  Hats off to the decision makers here, they definitely picked the right target to aim for... I just wish the designer had done a little more with the ingredients that were at their disposal. 

• Like 6

Wow, the wordsmiths at their marketing/branding company but every bit of BS into their description of the new logo as they could.  Can't someone just release a logo and not tell us why every detail is an homage to the history of the sport or the great people of the city?   Just once (and I know Forward Madison did this) I want to see a new logo and have all that BS noted as BS. 

• 4 months later...

We’re at the end of the season and going through a leaguewide reckoning re: sexually abusive men but the as-yet-untitled Kansas City team came out with their “real” brand at halftime tonight. Don’t love Kansas City Current as a name but I’ve heard worse singular soccer names. Also think the “real” crest is a downgrade from the placeholder but I’m very glad they’re keeping the colors and the strong KC lettering,

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Wow, KC really did downgrade from the placeholder crest. That’s almost impressive in its sadness.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Yeah. I'm getting conflicting reports that the numbers and texts are either white or pink. Some pictures look white, some pictures look pink.

I fear it'll be another Inter Miami situation: a really great and unique color that just comes off as too light. 

2 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

19 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Yeah. I'm getting conflicting reports that the numbers and texts are either white or pink. Some pictures look white, some pictures look pink.

I know they're probably "rose gold", but old gold would have been a better choice. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

If there's an, I guess, incandescent sort of rose-gold effect on the printing and/or the graphic that would be a pretty great design I'd say. Even if it's boring white I don't mind a team staying simple and basic for their debut (as long as it's not lowered to the level of teamwear). Gives a nice base to build variations on in the future, if we must exist in a change-the-kit-every-year world.

• Like 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Natalie-Portman-3_4-1024x809.jpg

I feel like as thin as that sponsor is, they should have looked at placing the D logo above the Doordash wordmark. I wonder if we'll see NWSL spot their own logo over the swoosh if they keep going with two sleeve sponsors.  I wouldn't be surprised if they and MLS do that rather than taking a spot back on the sleeve. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 4 weeks later...