2021-22 NBA Changes

2022 NBA All-Star Game Logo Unveiled

March 8, 2021 - 19:22 PM

Just hours after the NBA All-Star Game ended, the league began looking forward to its next game with the unveiling of the 2022 NBA All-Star Game logo. The game, at least for the moment, is scheduled to be held at the Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse in Cleveland, Ohio, home of the

Read More...

• Like 1

Gonna take another stab at the dark on this one.

New Orleands complete revamp.

Charlotte/OKC/Indiana/Dallas/Denver/Washington/Boston/Brooklyn/New York to get new "statement" uniforms.

City Edition bold predictions:

OKC Orange Honoring Nick Collison

Denver Carolina Blue Rocky Mountain Inspired

Portland White Version of the 2021 set honoring Oregon landscape

Minnesota White Version of the 2021 set honoring the Minnesota North Stars

Utah will keep the same as 2021

Lakers Futuristic Gold/Purple/Black/White to honor Phil Jackson

Clippers Red honoring inner city LA

Phoenix Purple Version of 2021 set honoring Arizona desert

Golden State Royal Blue Honoring early 90's club

Sacramento Black Fauxback Honoring 2002 club for 20th Anniversary

Dallas Green Fauxback 80's inspired

San Antone Teal Version of 2021 set honoring 90's warmups Hemisphere Arena

Houston Red with Pinstripes 1995-2003 fauxback inspired

New Orleans same as 2021 honoring city flag

Memphis Gold version of 2021 set honoring hometown legend Isaac Hayes

Chicago Black w/red pinstripes 1996 fauxback inspired

Cleveland Wine/Gold fauxback70's inspired

Detroit Red Version of 2021 set honoring Detroit's automobile industry and blue collar ethic

Indiana Navy Blue Version of 2021 set honoring 1997-2005 uniforms

Milwaukee Lime Green/Kelly Green 80's fauxback inspired

Brooklyn Royal Blue honoring Jackie Robinson and the Brooklyn Dodgers

New York White w/Blue and Orange pinstripes Yankees/Mets inspired

Toronto Black honoring Neal Peart/RUSH

Boston Green and White parquet theme honoring parquet floor at Boston Garden

Philadelphia Black honoring Allen Iverson and the 1997-2009 look

Miami Teal Vice Miami Dolphins theme

Orlando Silver w/Black pinstripes 1989-99 fauxback inspired

Washington Royal Blue fauxback based on the 1988-97 look

Charlotte Gold w/pinstripes honoring Jim Crockett Promotions

Atlanta will retain the MLK inspired set again

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ThunderCeltic said:

Portland White Version of the 2021 set honoring Oregon landscape

Utah will keep the same as 2021

Lakers Futuristic Gold/Purple/Black/White to honor Phil Jackson

Clippers Red honoring inner city LA

Phoenix Purple Version of 2021 set honoring Arizona desert

Golden State Royal Blue Honoring early 90's club

Sacramento Black Fauxback Honoring 2002 club for 20th Anniversary

Dallas Green Fauxback 80's inspired

San Antone Teal Version of 2021 set honoring 90's warmups Hemisphere Arena

Houston Red with Pinstripes 1995-2003 fauxback inspired

New Orleans same as 2021 honoring city flag

Memphis Gold version of 2021 set honoring hometown legend Isaac Hayes

Chicago Black w/red pinstripes 1996 fauxback inspired

Cleveland Wine/Gold fauxback70's inspired

Detroit Red Version of 2021 set honoring Detroit's automobile industry and blue collar ethic

Indiana Navy Blue Version of 2021 set honoring 1997-2005 uniforms

Milwaukee Lime Green/Kelly Green 80's fauxback inspired

Brooklyn Royal Blue honoring Jackie Robinson and the Brooklyn Dodgers

New York White w/Blue and Orange pinstripes Yankees/Mets inspired

Toronto Black honoring Neal Peart/RUSH

Boston Green and White parquet theme honoring parquet floor at Boston Garden

Philadelphia Black honoring Allen Iverson and the 1997-2009 look

Miami Teal Vice Miami Dolphins theme

Orlando Silver w/Black pinstripes 1989-99 fauxback inspired

Washington Royal Blue fauxback based on the 1988-97 look

Charlotte Gold w/pinstripes honoring Jim Crockett Promotions

Atlanta will retain the MLK inspired set again

I hate to discredit your guesses, but I believe the NBA is doing some sort of reverse retro/throwback inspired City Jerseys for the 75th Anniversary from speculation of this Suns jersey leak ...

8i0xzmum9m561.jpg?width=1536&format=pjpg

• Like 7

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

11 hours ago, ThunderCeltic said:

How does an orange jersey honor Nick Collison? Why would the Thunder create a jersey just for him?

Why would a Denver team wear Carolina blue?

Which 2021 Wolves jersey honored the Minnesota North Stars? 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

6 hours ago, kimball said:

I hate to discredit your guesses, but I believe the NBA is doing some sort of reverse retro/throwback inspired City Jerseys for the 75th Anniversary from speculation of this Suns jersey leak ...

And I hate to make anyone puke up their breakfast muffins today, but are we sure those mashup jerseys are going to be "City" or "Earned" or some other extra designation entirely?

• Like 4

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

My best guess is the era mash set would be a special “Classic” designation that every team gets rather than a City set. If they’re going to turn out like that potential Phoenix leak, though, I’d rather they not exist at all. A straight up throwback for every team would suffice for the anniversary.

As far as rebrands go, I think Dallas is by far the most due. I’d love to see them finally make a change next year, though I doubt Cuban will ever part from his look. I don’t think the Pelicans have to scrap everything, but they sure could stand make a few changes here and there to freshen things up (and best to do it now with Zion on the rise). 

• Like 3

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

8 hours ago, Digby said:

And I hate to make anyone puke up their breakfast muffins today, but are we sure those mashup jerseys are going to be "City" or "Earned" or some other extra designation entirely?

Good question. Let's pray it's the earned so we don't have to see something like this ...

719f02289d77de7a3991ee645ac2b5ff.jpg

• Like 5

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

This Uni Watch article from 2019 had a discussion with the Rockets marketing executive about the 75th anniversary

So, there are some things with their 75th anniversary of the NBA that they’re wanting to, uh, they’re wanting to celebrate, and it’s going to tie through, across the league, through their — I don’t know whether it’s their City or their Earned, I don’t remember which one it is. I think it’s the Earned jersey, which is that one that, you know, the teams that make the playoffs have ’em. Get that extra uniform

https://uni-watch.com/2019/06/26/nba-nike-planning-75th-anniversary-uniforms-for-2021-22/

• Like 1

The timeline is a little hazy, but a new logo and uniforms are on the way for the Cavs:

https://www.nssmag.com/en/sports/25645/daniel-arsham-cleveland-cavaliers-logo

Separately, I’ve heard that the team is phasing out navy and going with wine/gold/black/white. This makes sense, as if you look closely, their primary court this season is limited to those colors (the drop shadow on the logo at center court is black instead of navy).

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, CitizenTino said:

The timeline is a little hazy, but a new logo and uniforms are on the way for the Cavs:

Separately, I’ve heard that the team is phasing out navy and going with wine/gold/black/white. This makes sense, as if you look closely, their primary court this season is limited to those colors (the drop shadow on the logo at center court is black instead of navy).

They just changed it in 2018! 3 YEARS AGO!! 

This franchise can only get it right when LeBron's around, basketball-wise and uniforms. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 17

When people talk about teams with identity crises, I don't think enough people mention the Cavs. They've got a trainwreck of a brand, with multiple eras of different colors and even nowadays with navy and black competing unnecessarily. That first picture with the 2000s LeBron era is fantastic, the Cavs never should've gone away from that.

• Like 31

the user formerly known as cdclt

29 minutes ago, QCS said:

When people talk about teams with identity crises, I don't think enough people mention the Cavs. They've got a trainwreck of a brand, with multiple eras of different colors and even nowadays with navy and black competing unnecessarily. That first picture with the 2000s LeBron era is fantastic, the Cavs never should've gone away from that.

Well, that's what happens when the owner is a big billionaire crybaby.

We should just be happy he doesn't own his hometown Pistons.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

59 minutes ago, CitizenTino said:

Glad they are dropping navy, which they should've done in 2010 when they went back to classic wine and athletic gold. Wish they'd drop black too, but then how else will you be able to create 5 new jerseys every year without unnecessary colors? (Unless they considered having a gold jersey again... no? Just me?)

The 2010 rebrand felt a little generic compared to 2003, but at least there was some "traditional" merit. The latest rebrand was an insult, with a new pointless font, a primary jersey that just said "CAVS," the overuse of both navy and black, further degraded logos, and uniform elements that felt like they were picked at random out of the Nike box. Maybe they'll do well in the next change but Gilbert has just made the team look worse and worse over the years. There have been some CavFanatic/City jerseys that were fun, but in most cases they'd be better as fashion jerseys anyway.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

The 2010 redesign felt like an “austerity” design, as if the team was crying poor after Lebron left. It’s classic, sure, but it had awful timing.

You're right, and I think it's too bad it has that connection, because it's a really nice design. Probably marks the start of the simplification trend with some NBA uniforms (Toronto, Atlanta, Minnesota to a lesser extent.)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, QCS said:

Black is the one color I hate the Cavs using, ever since they changed in 1994 (?) with that computer generated looking logo. The most disappointing thing about the 2016 championship is that it was won in that horrid black t-shirt that adidas was trotting out. An updated version of the Cavalier silohuette is the best way to go, which means they'll look like a bastardized version of the Canton Charge instead. 

• Like 4

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, CitizenTino said:

Sadly, won't be next season. 

Got no info on when or what the redesign will be, but I too hope they phase out the navy and stick with wine, gold, black and white. I'd be even more happy if they phased out black, too, but that's not likely to happen since black merch items sell well.

• Like 9

I suppose I understand the reasoning for keeping black from a marketing standpoint, but it sure doesn’t look that good with wine. Cleveland would look so much better if they’d just simplify to wine, gold, and white.

Regarding Cleveland’s historical identity crisis, I’ve never really known what the “essential” Cavs identity is, and I don’t think the Cavs have ever really known either. They’ve seemed to chase after different identities thier whole existence, and to a detrimental fault. 

They’re in a weird spot in my head where they’re both relevant and irrelevant at the same time; relevant because of Lebron and a recent title, yet irrelevant because they suck again and I have no bearing on what thier brand or identity is or ever was. If I were ever hired to rebrand them, I honestly have no idea what I’d do with them nor would I trust the brand would last five years at this point. They’re perpetual shapeshifters and I just don’t understand how or why they insist on being such time and time again. 

• Like 7

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png