2021-22 NBA Changes

5 hours ago, Conrad. said:

from what i saw of the merch related to the canceled Jazz mashup uniform, it could have been nice. certainly very different than the Red Rocks theme. now we'll never know!

Darn, that’s too bad we’ll never see it! I was looking forward to it because I figured there’d be a good chance it would’ve been purple (or even green). Oh well. Maybe they’ll whip something up and finally let go of the red rocks for the 100th anniversary! :P 

• Like 3

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Idk if this has been noted before, but it looks like the Knicks finally updated their wordmark, now using a font more akin to the organization's current brand image. It's a small but welcome change. Was shown during the NBA Draft where every team's wordmark was displayed:

OLD:

7ikpl8mfi4qr7u0z0q5klnphc.gif

NEW:

ymFJVBD.png

• Like 6

59d079d580ab2_SL.netbannercopy.gif.b34a0491e0c5e4344fa6fc764ec2043e.gif

NYC x STL

^ looking at the official logosheet, both wordmarks are technically still in the style guide (in addition to an oblique version of the "old" wordmark), but I too am happy they have a block-type wordmark option now, too. Much more reflective of the rest of their branding.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, GMW79 said:

These in particular though because it’s green on a rockets jersey. Just text too, no interesting logo. Pretty much went from the best ad they could get (rokit which was small, team colors, and a nice tie in for the team name) to the worst.

• Like 2

Excellent!

Oh man, that new Rockets patch is bad. Looks more like a sticker or button. 

I get that some of these companies likely want to express thier branding to the fullest when used as jersey ads (keeping the patch in brand colors), but it’s hard for me to believe there aren’t monochromatic white or black logo versions that could’ve been used instead. 

• Like 3

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I think the whole point of the ad patch is for it to be a little obnoxious and draw attention to itself, just like any other ad in any other format.  So even if there were logo versions that would blend in better, I'm not sure they'd want to use them, because "blending in" is not really the purpose of the ad; if anything, that is kind of what they're trying not to do.

• Like 5

On 7/31/2021 at 1:30 PM, Digby said:

So that Phoenix mashup uniform, that leaked a year ago and got everyone all freaked out about the whole concept… isn’t even going to actually ever happen? 😂

It would  probably better if this didn't  even happen.  For a lot of teams it will just end up being a completely gaudy looking mess...especially those that have had different color schemes over the years.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

I think the whole point of the ad patch is for it to be a little obnoxious and draw attention to itself, just like any other ad in any other format.  So even if there were logo versions that would blend in better, I'm not sure they'd want to use them, because "blending in" is not really the purpose of the ad; if anything, that is kind of what they're trying not to do.

Oh I 100% understand that, I get the approach for sure. I don’t think a monochromatic ad is going to blend in as much as some companies must feel, though. Player close-ups on broadcasts happen all the time; free throws, interviews, after the whistle, instant replay, etc. A monochromatic ad would still be very visible and readable in those cases, without the need for large white backgrounds or starkly contrasting colors. So while I completely understand where the approach is coming from, I also don’t think it’s as necessary as it’s made out to be.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Is this Warriors setup part of the same thing as these other mash-up jerseys we've seen (Mavs/Cavs/Lakers/Heat/etc) or are they, and possibly the Knicks/Celtics, getting a special 5th jersey since they're original BAA franchises?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Krz said:

Things I noticed:

They’re using the old Nike logo

Called it “origins” possible name of the program?

Less “mashup-y” than the leaks

Reading into the press release on the new jerseys, it's really hard to tell whether Origins is limited to the Warriors for their 75th anniversary or is the start of a rebrand for the Classic Edition. I'm suspecting the former more than the latter. Here's what it had to say about the entirety of the team's 2021-22 uniform set: 

In addition to the Classic Edition (Origins) jersey, the Warriors’ 2021-22 uniform set features five jerseys, including the Statement (The Bay), Icon (road blue), and Association (home white) jerseys that have been previously worn by the team. The Warriors will unveil the 2021-22 City Edition jersey later this fall.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Reading into the press release on the new jerseys, it's really hard to tell whether Origins is limited to the Warriors for their 75th anniversary or is the start of a rebrand for the Classic Edition. I'm suspecting the former more than the latter. Here's what it had to say about the entirety of the team's 2021-22 uniform set: 

It is interesting that “Nike” appears over the logo instead of the metallic emblem swoosh. Maybe it is a classic edition rebrand after all. It is really interesting that they note the city edition will release later on unless it’s just a mistake.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jb1322 said:

It is interesting that “Nike” appears over the logo instead of the metallic emblem swoosh. Maybe it is a classic edition rebrand after all. It is really interesting that they note the city edition will release later on unless it’s just a mistake.  

Yeah, I think it's interesting to see Nike rollout the classic Nike/swoosh wordmark for throwback sets. I know Nike uses it pretty liberally on its retro/reissue footwear and lifestyle apparel, but I haven't seen it so much on team-branded performance products.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jb1322 said:

YVqvxmR.png

Looking like we might be getting classic editions in addition to the city unis. 

The Classic Edition line already existed, but only for a limited number of teams: Lakers (powder blue), Nets (Drazen Petrovic tye-dye) and Grizzlies (initial Memphis designs) were among the teams that had them last year. 

I wonder if it's only a three-teams-a-year kind of thing and these are the three for 2021-22?