Jump to content

2021-22 NBA Changes


Recommended Posts

I’m really liking the variety Nike is bringing with their logo. We’ve seen normal, throwback, gold/silver bevel, nyc, and diamond  versions of the same logo. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Pistons' court should have red keys, I see no reason why have them unpainted like that. I like everything else about it.

 

Also, as an observation, the 313 logo looks really – and I mean really – angry to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, projectjohn said:

I think I could be more on board with it if it didn’t have that giant superimposed logo. Maybe red keys too instead of the whole no paint thing which is best left to the mid 2000s, kind of an inverse of the (sadly) now old court. Let’s not talk about the 313 court..

 

It feels like everything the Pistons do with their branding is catering to the 15 year old crowd on Instagram, chasing fire emojis.

Sadly this is the case. The Pistons seem to be doing everything for the Twitter Instagram crowd. I have nightmares about them going back to teal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm actually okay with what the Pistons are doing.  At this point, teams are getting so experimental that this looks relatively tame.  I'm ok with the 313 logo... does it look "angry?" Yes, kind of, but I think that's the point.  They managed to make 3 numbers look intimidating; I give them credit for that.

 

The Pistons have a very boring and generic-looking set of logos, so I guess they're doing the best they can to somehow do something different.  The superimposed logo thing doesn't bother me all that much; I don't think it looks amazing or anything but it doesn't look terrible and it's something different.  The downplaying of red and the "unpainted paint" ... I find myself okay with that, too.  I guess they're just going for that bare bones look, like a lot of other teams have in the past, and I don't think it looks that bad.  Pretty much every team that has gone to that simplistic unpainted look has found their way back to color, anyway.  I guess it's just the Pistons turn to try it.

 

Probably what they realized is that if they did both the superimposed logo AND had red paint, it would look too cluttered, and would draw away from the attention of the superimposed logo.  So if their heart was set on the superimposed logo, I think they were smart to make the actual court sort of plain.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

I'm actually okay with what the Pistons are doing.  At this point, teams are getting so experimental that this looks relatively tame.  I'm ok with the 313 logo... does it look "angry?" Yes, kind of, but I think that's the point.  They managed to make 3 numbers look intimidating; I give them credit for that.

 

The Pistons have a very boring and generic-looking set of logos, so I guess they're doing the best they can to somehow do something different.  The superimposed logo thing doesn't bother me all that much; I don't think it looks amazing or anything but it doesn't look terrible and it's something different.  The downplaying of red and the "unpainted paint" ... I find myself okay with that, too.  I guess they're just going for that bare bones look, like a lot of other teams have in the past, and I don't think it looks that bad.  Pretty much every team that has gone to that simplistic unpainted look has found their way back to color, anyway.  I guess it's just the Pistons turn to try it.

 

Probably what they realized is that if they did both the superimposed logo AND had red paint, it would look too cluttered, and would draw away from the attention of the superimposed logo.  So if their heart was set on the superimposed logo, I think they were smart to make the actual court sort of plain.


The 313 logo looking angry doesn't bother me at all, I just mentioned it as a fun observation. On the contrary, I'm all for logos having character and always  been a supporter of "angry" logos. And as you said, especially since the Pistons logo set is so lackluster and unexciting.

 

What comes to the paint and the superimposed logo,  it did cross my mind too that they might've thought that having red painted areas with it might be visually too much, but just picturing it in my mind I can't say it would. Moreover, the use of Pistons' bright red and blue colors is what had always made the court so visually appealing and losing that is a shame.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, sayahh said:

Wasn't the logoman on back supposed to have "75" inside the logo?

 

Also, Phoenix supposedly opted out.

Good call, you’re right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually kinda like the Pistons new home court. The wordmark on the baseline should have a red outline, and the paint should be red. Otherwise, I like it. The oversized logo in the background I like, it brings both a color balance and its just, good. I imagine some other teams could create a design like that as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, flyersfan said:

I actually kinda like the Pistons new home court. The wordmark on the baseline should have a red outline, and the paint should be red. Otherwise, I like it. The oversized logo in the background I like, it brings both a color balance and its just, good. I imagine some other teams could create a design like that as well.

 

I think the Jazz could pull something like that off with their basketball logo. Maybe even the Pacers? But, I agree with you ... I kinda like it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, sayahh said:

Wasn't the logoman on back supposed to have "75" inside the logo?

Supposed, but it might be a sample version.

Wilson ball should also has 75th logo as we seen it from Vucevic Leak but a this moment all photos show ball with standard logo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

s-l400.jpg

 

I have to take back my criticism of the Celtics throwback, I was imagining the Russell-era serifed wordmark (still better!) but I guess the original 1946 jersey did have the smaller wordmark.

 

though it still feels like every year Nike is just finding a new way to churn out a Celtics alt that’s just “the normal white jersey but with a new font and simple single-color collar/arm trim”.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/4/2021 at 4:18 PM, SCalderwood said:

The Pistons have a very boring and generic-looking set of logos, so I guess they're doing the best they can to somehow do something different. 

That’s the argument I always hear the younger crowd make. To me, there is a difference between boring and classic. Making changes just to “try something different” is never a good idea. That’s how the Pistons ended up in teal for 5 years back in the 90s. I thought their lesson was learned but management under Tom Gores has been so inept I am pretty afraid for what lies ahead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, projectjohn said:

That’s the argument I always hear the younger crowd make. To me, there is a difference between boring and classic. Making changes just to “try something different” is never a good idea. That’s how the Pistons ended up in teal for 5 years back in the 90s. I thought their lesson was learned but management under Tom Gores has been so inept I am pretty afraid for what lies ahead.

 

 

I would say the Pistons are both boring and classic.  And that's not necessarily a bad thing.  But I'm also not against teams trying different things every now and then.  And I do not put the Pistons into some untouchable category where I don't think they should be allowed to change anything at all.  To me, they are not one of those "untouchable" team identities.

 

I actually respect the Pistons a lot for keeping things as consistent as they generally have.  They've maintained essentially the same colors, logos, and uniforms (except for silly alts, but that goes for every team these days) for nearly 20 years (along with some occasional tweaks).  My biggest complaint about the Pistons is their navy and gray/chrome  alternate identity thing, but I am against alternate identities and color schemes for all teams, not just the Pistons.

 

I didn't particularly mind the Pistons' teal years.  They were fun, they fit the era, and they looked good. I would not want them to be worn today, but they felt right for the time.

 

I'm often against change for the sake of change, but I find their new court rather inoffensive.  It could have been SO much gaudier, ugly, and worse. It just doesn't strike me as something to get too bothered about.   To say that teams should never change just to "try something different," I can't agree with that. 

 

Finally, if you want to get really technical about keeping things classic and not changing just to try something different, I give you the court of the 1958 Detroit Pistons:

 

PistonsatOlympia1958.jpg

 

 

If you are truly a proponent of classic looks and not changing just to "try something different," you should be happy that the Pistons are "returning" to their original unpainted court.  After all, their red/blue court was just "trying something different" - they never needed a red/blue court.  They could have just kept the above court forever.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Look at the ad on the Celtics. Either that’s Vista Print’s old logo, or it’s just taking up more space on the jersey.

 

Doing a 30-second Google search, um ... I know nothing about that logo? They've had three logos since 1995 and nothing like that. I wonder if it's a fauxback logo just for the throwback? Which is half cool, half disappointing and all the way wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Vistaprint did a sorta fauxback logo on last year’s “Banners” jersey, just replacing their usual typeface with Futura Condensed. Not sure what’s happening here with this rearrangement. I guess it’s nice that sponsors, at least some, are down to change up their look for certain jerseys to fit in, in a “titanic deck chairs” kind of way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, LAL_GOAT_17X said:

 

 

its seems the Lakers won’t have the Wish ad patch for next season hope they keep em like that ad patch less

 


we can hope … but … it won’t happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.