2021-22 NBA Changes

1 hour ago, keynote said:

Is there evidence of Dwyane Wade making ego-driven decisions in his capacity as a minority owner (or in general)? Is there a story here? 

Look at their practice court, look at the articles about how he wants to put his stamp on the jazz look. Yes he is making ego-driven decisions, and the other owners are just letting him.

• Like 2

On 9/14/2021 at 11:41 AM, WSU151 said:

Oooohhhh sounds interesting. Maybe some clear side panels to accent the woodwork. 

Still sticking with my original "predictions" but no one has answered as if the Celtics/Knicks/Warriors will have "City" editions this year or are the "classic" editions their "City" editions this year.

Also are the Thunder going to do a Seattle Sonics Fauxback but in Thunder colors?

It sucks NBA 2k has fans in the audience in previous City/Earned/Classic Nike jerseys but they aren't in the game. I suppose it's because they're following Football (Soccer) in that kits change every year.

Also are the "Earned" editions only every other year (Odd number years when the Finals take place) ?

On 9/18/2021 at 10:45 PM, dont care said:

Look at their practice court, look at the articles about how he wants to put his stamp on the jazz look. Yes he is making ego-driven decisions, and the other owners are just letting him.

Are there any articles that depict Wade as making decisions to satisfy his own ego, vs. helping to develop and execute a strategy that the other owners endorse?

If not: it's a leap to go from "he wants to play an active role," "he wants to influence the direction of the Jazz's brand" to "he's making ego-driven decisions." 

What if the Jazz's ownership group recruited Wade precisely because *they* concluded that the Jazz suffers from a coolness perception gap of sorts? What if the owners ostensibly gave him a mandate to shake things up?

I'm not a Jazz fan, so perhaps this is common knowledge, and local sports writers and bloggers have documented Wade's ego-driven decision-making, and I'm just late to the game. If so: I'd appreciate the links. But absent that info, this feels like thin gruel. Can't we dislike the new practice court without maligning Wade's motives? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, keynote said:

Are there any articles that depict Wade as making decisions to satisfy his own ego, vs. helping to develop and execute a strategy that the other owners endorse?

If not: it's a leap to go from "he wants to play an active role," "he wants to influence the direction of the Jazz's brand" to "he's making ego-driven decisions." 

What if the Jazz's ownership group recruited Wade precisely because *they* concluded that the Jazz suffers from a coolness perception gap of sorts? What if the owners ostensibly gave him a mandate to shake things up?

I'm not a Jazz fan, so perhaps this is common knowledge, and local sports writers and bloggers have documented Wade's ego-driven decision-making, and I'm just late to the game. If so: I'd appreciate the links. But absent that info, this feels like thin gruel. Can't we dislike the new practice court without maligning Wade's motives? 

To be honest, as a Jazz fan myself, I’m going to come to Wade’s defense here. I haven’t seen anything myself that alludes to him making ego-driven decisions. He did tweet a couple of months ago (in response to another tweet asking about purple, I think) something about “new fire” coming for the Jazz down the road, but didn’t specify if that was a future alternate, a future rebrand, or if it was uniform related at all. He also never - as far as I’ve seen - has alluded that anything has been his sole decision or influence, either. I think that tweet paired with the black and white stuff slowly coming out is giving the impression he’s behind it all, but I honestly think it may be him and Smith together. The Smith tweet pointing out the color scheme mess lends me to believe this approach is meant to be thier solution to a branding problem, and nothing ego-driven or “change for change’s sake”.

Now granted, I don’t agree at all with the black and white solution (if it’s really a thing) and think going back to one of the classic purple schemes is the better route to go. That said, I’m not in the least worried about any sort of ego-trip or stranglehold going on from ownership. I genuinely believe they’re trying to tackle the Jazz’s branding problems and that it’s all coming from a good place. I’m very stoked to have Wade and Smith as owners, and the good they’re already doing with the team and community is absolutely worth any branding directions they take, regardless of whether or not I’ll like the aesthetic result.

• Like 4

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Wade has a hard job to do, make the Jazz the cool, it's a tall task. The Jazz don't transcend different cultures, etheir stars outside of Donavon Mitchell have been unlikable or even worse people have indifferent feelings about.  Then you have the documented reputation of the Jazz fans, all this contributes to a franchise nobody outside of Utah likes or respects.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tracy MidGrady said:

Wade has a hard job to do, make the Jazz the cool, it's a tall task. The Jazz don't transcend different cultures, etheir stars outside of Donavon Mitchell have been unlikable or even worse people have indifferent feelings about.  Then you have the documented reputation of the Jazz fans, all this contributes to a franchise nobody outside of Utah likes or respects.

So if that's Wade's job, what is the hoped-for end result? To somehow make a franchise based in Utah a globally relevant brand? And that's not a knock on Utah. I don't see the Jazz as some universally disliked franchise. I just think they're living the existence of any small to mid-market NBA franchise without a recent championship. They're essentially the Portland Trail Blazers -- beloved locally but (outside of a single marketable superstar who holds their fate in his hands) easily forgettable by the rest of the sporting public.

The way I see it, there are only two real ways to do this in the modern NBA.

1. Win, which is why the Bucks -- another once-easily ignored franchise -- is having its day in the sun. 
  2. Cultivate the next top-5 superstar and hope he's either unfailingly loyal or develops quickly enough that your team gets the best of him before he's lured away by a bigger market.  
  • Like 9

9 hours ago, Jay_Mellowed said:

The Lakers have nabbed their newest uniform sponsor in the form of “Bibigo,”a brand based in Korea. The partnership is said to be the most lucrative to date, setting up a 5-year, $100 million pact.

Link: https://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/lakers-and-bibigo-announce-multi-year-global-marketing-partnership-2021

spacer.png

At least its in Lakers purple ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 2

alkaline-trio_logo-with-heart.jpg

On 9/20/2021 at 8:33 AM, mattr1198 said:

I can guarantee you the Knicks will not use orange again. That color is legit cursed for the team, they're much more likely to go with a 90s look with black than that.

It's not orange that's "cursed" for the Knicks, it's Dolan. They could wear pink jerseys with purple polka dots and it wouldn't matter.

• Like 10

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

It's weird how often jersey sponsors change in the NBA, even for cash cows like the Lakers and Celtics. You'd think corporations would be jumping at the chance to develop a longterm association with an NBA team like soccer sponsors tend to do.

5 years seems pretty long to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThunderCeltic said:

Still interesting to see what Oklahoma City does with their "City/Heritage" edition.  Will they do a Seattle fauxback in Thunder colors and say "Thunder" ? Will they bring back one of their previous City editions ? If so the 18-19 Native American one would be fine. Sucks 2k won't add previous City/Earned sets.

Please stop asking this over and over. When there is news it will be posted. You asking for details won’t make them come out any faster. No one here is keeping this info from you.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Jay_Mellowed said:

The Lakers have nabbed their newest uniform sponsor in the form of “Bibigo,”a brand based in Korea. The partnership is said to be the most lucrative to date, setting up a 5-year, $100 million pact.

Link: https://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/lakers-and-bibigo-announce-multi-year-global-marketing-partnership-2021

spacer.png

I love how proud of it he is

• Like 1