2021-22 NBA Changes

1 hour ago, HighCheese said:

wow that is just terrible. they really managed to suck the soul out of that team. if they like black so much i don't see why they can't just rebrand themselves into red rock and have the black redrock city jersey be one of their main jerseys. 

• Like 12

IMG-7122.gif

I'm surprised by all the non-jazz fans hate lol. Nearly every jazz fan hates the idea, but nearly every non jazz fan hates it too haha. 

I'll be the quiet minority that likes the idea so far. I think they have needed a refresh/new look for a while. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, DJT said:

I'm surprised by all the non-jazz fans hate lol. Nearly every jazz fan hates the idea, but nearly every non jazz fan hates it too haha. 

I'll be the quiet minority that likes the idea so far. I think they have needed a refresh/new look for a while. 

I ... I ... don't hate the idea?

I just feels like someone took the original purple and decided to play with the shadow and saturation levels until they got to black.

hi-res-831d20831d1727f7a62594e07cdc8ff7_

Jazz-star-Donovan-Mitchell-returns-to-pr

FBm2I0ZWUAMgcm1?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 3

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, DJT said:

I've heard the rumors about the Jazz switching to black and white with yellow as an accent. From what the owner said is that "it won't be just black and white, but those will serve as the base." So not sure how yellow got added except for the Jazz game schedule.

But regardless i'm excited. They also said they will be getting a new logo (not sure if its just a recolor of their current or a new one all together). 

I like the blue, green, yellow look they have now, but I do think its time to update their normal set since they've had since 2016.

They need to update because they’ve had a uniform for 5 years? How about they keep a look for longer than 5 years and allow it to grow and become their identity rather than changing it every 5 years. They can have different alternates as much as they want. I don’t care at this point with how the league is at this point. But when you don’t have an established look and are constantly changing it they end up not having an identity at all. Who are the jazz? Are the the green yellow and purple? Are they the purple mountains? Are they the bronze jazz? Are they the double blue jazz? Are they the navy green and yellow jazz? Or are the now the nets imposter jazz?

• Like 6

Not that the Jazz had a great thing going before, but borrowing heavily from one of my least favorite brands in pro sports is not a great move. I didn't think they could do worse than the lifeless 2004 redesign that "just screamed Utah," but this "we're just like the Jay-Z team now" clueless grope would do it.

• Like 7

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

maybe it's just me but i feel like the jazz's colors have always given me a nature-y vibe outside of the pistol pete purple green and gold (which are obviously just mardi gras colors from new orleans)

to me i always correlated their colors with nature kinda like milwaukee with their forest green. which is why black and white out of all things just feels so incredibly out of place for a utah team. i just don't see the fit 

87371-EF4-CD79-4-F78-88-D8-9740-A154-ADC

like this is just a sad picture to look at

• Like 22

IMG-7122.gif

1 hour ago, dont care said:

They need to update because they’ve had a uniform for 5 years? How about they keep a look for longer than 5 years and allow it to grow and become their identity rather than changing it every 5 years. They can have different alternates as much as they want. I don’t care at this point with how the league is at this point. But when you don’t have an established look and are constantly changing it they end up not having an identity at all. Who are the jazz? Are the the green yellow and purple? Are they the purple mountains? Are they the bronze jazz? Are they the double blue jazz? Are they the navy green and yellow jazz? Or are the now the nets imposter jazz?

You may need to check their uniform history haha. They have had plenty of looks for longer than 5 years. 

I just think the current base set (icon and association have become stale. Yes there are the new statements and city editions frequently that provide some fresh looks, but to me their base set needs changed. Whether it's around 5 years or 10 years I've grown tired of it.

Also I didn't check around but I'm pretty sure a lot of teams switch up jerseys every 5 or so years unless it's the Celtics/Lakers.

5 minutes ago, DJT said:

You may need to check their uniform history haha. They have had plenty of looks for longer than 5 years. 

I just think the current base set (icon and association have become stale. Yes there are the new statements and city editions frequently that provide some fresh looks, but to me their base set needs changed. Whether it's around 5 years or 10 years I've grown tired of it.

Also I didn't check around but I'm pretty sure a lot of teams switch up jerseys every 5 or so years unless it's the Celtics/Lakers.

The difference being those teams keep the same color scheme, and if you bother to really look most teams have kept the same basic look for decades.

• Like 2

Honestly, the color change sounds more like the Jazz wanting to keep capitalizing on the sunset/dark mode jerseys. The only thing missing from the color palette is the red and orange. I betcha the Jazz will keep the sunset/dark mode jerseys around in the next set as their Statement jersey so they can experiment more with a City jersey.

N5mb6KRARdThsFcYSMMGHEKBnQNRMG9cS1AcDKsZ

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, dont care said:

The difference being those teams keep the same color scheme, and if you bother to really look most teams have kept the same basic look for decades.

That's true. The Jazz seem to change their colors around more than the rest. 

6 hours ago, HighCheese said:

Kornheiser_Why.jpg

5 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

In another tangent of thought, I’m curious how much bees/beehive as a state symbol has influenced the supposed color scheme? The baseball Bees also wear black/gold/white, so there’d be some cohesion there as well. Just something that came to mind.

I can actually buy this as a hypothesis--though it was actually the Memphis Grizzlies I'd hoped would adopt this color scheme before the Jazz (apparently) decided to.  Still doesn't beat the mountain green/blue/copper I was hoping for, but it makes sense given the whole bee thing...

5 hours ago, pelicanfan said:

wow that is just terrible. they really managed to suck the soul out of that team. if they like black so much i don't see why they can't just rebrand themselves into red rock and have the black redrock city jersey be one of their main jerseys. 

As one who initially loved the first red rock alternate, I also quickly became annoyed with how much they were used.  (This is aside from the fact that Moab isn't anywhere close to SLC--but that's beside the point.)

2 hours ago, pelicanfan said:

87371-EF4-CD79-4-F78-88-D8-9740-A154-ADC

like this is just a sad picture to look at

ron-simmons-damn.gif

Like preparing for a funeral or something...I mean at least they could alternate some yellow in there with the black or something.

• Like 7

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

5 hours ago, kimball said:

hi-res-831d20831d1727f7a62594e07cdc8ff7_

Jazz-star-Donovan-Mitchell-returns-to-pr

FBm2I0ZWUAMgcm1?format=jpg&name=small

At this point the Jazz have pretty much used every color known to man in one way or another... they were going to work their way around to black and white at some point.

Still gonna look way too similar to Brooklyn. I would love either a Red Rock theme or a Purple/Light Blue color scheme more if they need to change. Maybe even a kelly green/yellow they did for the Earned edition this year.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

5 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

spacer.png

Oh boy. As I’ve said before, I really do think this general idea is coming from a good place, and I do appreciate that ownership understands there’s a been a bad branding problem for some time. That said, I just don’t think this was the right solution at all. 

Instead of doubling down on and re-emphasizing one of the previous color schemes and cementing the brand that way (a la the Padres), they’ve just added one more color scheme on top of many. Perhaps this color scheme could look good in a vacuum (and of course I hope the final product does look good) but in the grand scheme of things, I think this is going to add more to the problem than solve it overall. Now the spilled skittles bag that is the collection of Jazz gear worn to the arena won’t match anything.

In another tangent of thought, I’m curious how much bees/beehive as a state symbol has influenced the supposed color scheme? The baseball Bees also wear black/gold/white, so there’d be some cohesion there as well. Just something that came to mind.

Pretty much my thought. I don’t hate the idea of Black/White/Yellow for the Utah Jazz as much as just Black/White, but I like the idea of going back to Purple/Light Blue/Copper (or even Navy/Light Blue/Copper) far more.  I’ll reserve final judgement until we see the full rollout of this rebrand.

This is a classic case of “The more things change, the more they stay the same.” Despite new staff from the top down, Jazz brass is trying to cram themselves into an already over-bloated trend hole, all the while shouting “Me too!” while jumping in a year or two too late, forgetting their previous brand equity in the process. In 2004, purple was dropped for navy; in 2022 (most likely), navy itself is getting the boot for black.

The ironic thing is, despite its origins in trend-chasing, I feel that Utah is one of the teams/places that two-tone blue could’ve really taken hold, had the Jazz remained committed to it (and adding copper) after returning to the note logo. That could’ve led to an easy jumping-off point back to purple, and little, if any, of the current identity crisis in the process, Nike program notwithstanding.

A couple more things: First, I’ve heard rumors that Ryan Smith is no fan of purple. Like, at all. So there’s your likely reason why purple is not, nor ever was, in the equation in this Jazz rebrand (if true). 

Second, does this make the Utah Jazz the NBA’s Vancouver Canucks and San Diego Padres, or does this make the San Diego Padres and Vancouver Canucks MLB’s and the NHL’s Utah Jazz?

• Like 3

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396