2021-22 NBA Changes

On 10/14/2021 at 7:22 AM, Foxxtrot44 said:

New logo incoming too.

J-note will be kept around in "some form."

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2021/10/13/owner-ryan-smith-confirms/

“I’ll never forget when you called me and you were like, ‘Hey, my mom wants to know what the Jazz colors are, and we can’t figure it out,’” - Ryan Smith

Yeah so you know the problem and do everything to confuse things even more.

That's sound like a disaster to me. He needs to listen a fans.

• Like 3

4r2eer.png

8 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

Pretty much my thought. I don’t hate the idea of Black/White/Yellow for the Utah Jazz as much as just Black/White, but I like the idea of going back to Purple/Light Blue/Copper (or even Navy/Light Blue/Copper) far more.  I’ll reserve final judgement until we see the full rollout of this rebrand.

I have similar thoughts. I think the yellow is getting a bit undersold in this equation. A tertiary color is more likely to stand out as a primary if the base colors are black and white. That on its own will keep the Jazz from looking like a Nets ripoff. 

Not saying I like it, but I'm guessing the team will come off more as a black-and-yellow brand than a black-and-white one, which on its own would set it apart in the NBA. 

Saying that, I still think it's silly. And be prepared for some Nike-speak about Utah being the "beehive state" when explaining the switch to black/white/yellow. 

• Like 11

Reminder! Dwayne Wade has just a token piece of ownership; the team's money now comes from a millennial tech CEO who made a fortune convincing websites to pop up focus-group survey questions at you all the time. We must expect only the worst of branding choices as long as they're owned by the type of guy who wears flat-brim caps and mid-priced Nikes to CEO speaking engagements at boring conferences.

• Like 7

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

The yellow the Jazz have been using to go along with the black and white roll-out has been a bit brighter, with a little bit of a highlighter yellow look to it:

spacer.png

I kind of get Columbus Crew vibes from it, though it would remain to be seen of course if they’d use the yellow as much as they do.

• Like 3

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

9 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

The ironic thing is, despite its origins in trend-chasing, I feel that Utah is one of the teams/places that two-tone blue could’ve really taken hold, had the Jazz remained committed to it (and adding copper) after returning to the note logo. That could’ve led to an easy jumping-off point back to purple, and little, if any, of the current identity crisis in the process, Nike program notwithstanding.

No no no. It was always a terrible fit for them. Phantom side panels, the most WordArt scripts we've ever seen, purple being a team color but also not. It was a disaster of a rebrand, especially because the Grizzlies rolled out almost the same colors like a week later.

• Like 8

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Jazz should do one of three things, and neither of them is changing to Black & White. 

1. Lightening the shade of green currently used in the Navy set the currently have so it stands out more, along with dropping the yellow alternate entirely. 

2. Making the change back to purple. 

3. New set based on the Stockton/Malone 90's colours. 

• Like 14

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

46 minutes ago, the admiral said:

No no no. It was always a terrible fit for them. Phantom side panels, the most WordArt scripts we've ever seen, purple being a team color but also not. It was a disaster of a rebrand, especially because the Grizzlies rolled out almost the same colors like a week later.

Yeah, all of this. Add into that the only rationale for double blue seemingly being “uh, well, it snows here.” Compared to the very Utah-centric color scheme that preceded it (as well as a similarly Utah-centric color scheme for the Salt Lake Olympics just two years earlier), the double blue came off as generic-cold-weather-team as it gets. Adding copper or orange to it would’ve made it better, but I still don’t think it’d have escaped the inevitable comparisons to Denver and Memphis either. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I like that the Jazz used every color in the rainbow for uniforms at some point and, having run out, are going to the both absence of and abundance of color, reflected in black and white. There really is something for everyone in Utah (I just saw a TikTok about navel inflammation due to lack of sex education among certain Utah-based religious sects, so anything feels possible in SLC).

I thought they had a winner with the red rocks set. Sadly, it's going into the dustbin of other City uniforms that should have been more.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Has a rebrand been done like this before? It's weird that the Jazz are updating social media accounts and posts to this black white yellow before a change even happens. 

Practice court, logos at the arena are already changed to black and white. Seems like a weird way to go about it before actually making the change. 

• Like 2

I’m going to copy and paste what I said in reply to the post on the UniWatch Facebook page...

“So... as a musician, there are a couple things that stand out to me. One, the obvious things being that music notes are black on white. Two, the typeface seems somewhat inspired by the font used in jazz “fake books” (see attached). I like the use of yellow as a tie-in to the Beehive State. Hopefully they will reference the state highway signs on a future uniforms.”

spacer.png

• Like 5

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

They should use the music publishing font, but they very clearly aren't. It looks more 8-bit NES than anything.

3 hours ago, DJT said:

Has a rebrand been done like this before? It's weird that the Jazz are updating social media accounts and posts to this black white yellow before a change even happens.

Tampa Bay Maple Wings in 2010-2011, they actually had to roll back some of the minimalism by popular demand before the season started.

2 hours ago, QCS said:

I know they're not black and yellow, but we do already have an iconic bee-themed team in the NBA.

DO NOT TEMPT THE THREE-WAY NAME TRADE PROPOSAL

• Like 10

4 hours ago, DJT said:

Practice court, logos at the arena are already changed to black and white. Seems like a weird way to go about it before actually making the change. 

The Sixers' marketing went full retro in 2008-09 before they made the change official in 2009-10.

• Like 4

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

On 10/13/2021 at 4:51 PM, HighCheese said:

Fans: we love the Purple/Sky Blue/Teal/Copper mountain scheme/jerseys!

Also Fans: we love the red rock gradients!

Also Fans: we would love to see a return to the Purple/Green/Yellow throwback colors!

Fans, probably:  current colors are fine.

JAZZ: 💡WE SHOULD GO TO BLACK AND WHITE WITH A DROP OF YELLOW! 

• Like 5

It wouldn't surprise me if the reasoning behind Brooklyn Nets Dress-Up, a sequence of words that should never be, were to take the heat off the hostile atmosphere at Jazz games and instead make people think of the sophisticated urbanites who support the Nets. Would it work? No. It doesn't even make any sense. But that doesn't mean they didn't pay some mediocre consultant to tell them that anyway.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

The yellow the Jazz have been using to go along with the black and white roll-out has been a bit brighter, with a little bit of a highlighter yellow look to it.

Maybe we're switching yellows with the Lakers? At least Lakers fans can only hope.

• Like 2

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

DO NOT TEMPT THE THREE-WAY NAME TRADE PROPOSAL

I never got this trade proposal. Utah is the Beehive State, based off the honeybee. Hornets aren't bees, they're jerks. 

8 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I thought they had a winner with the red rocks set. Sadly, it's going into the dustbin of other City uniforms that should have been more.

I feel like you won't see the Red Rocks Jersey go anywhere. Maybe to a Statement Jersey rather than City, but it fits better within a black, white and yellow set than the current look. 

10 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

3. New set based on the Stockton/Malone 90's colours. 

I can't be the ONLY Jazz fan who hates the '90s colors? The purple, teal, copper, etc. is just dated. I feel like if I'm sporting those colors I need to own a horse, wear a 10 gallon hat and brag way too much about my belt buckle collection. 

• Like 9

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

21 hours ago, DJT said:

Probably next season or the one after that. The process takes a while. 

That's what I would expect. I'm surprised they've already started recoloring other items, and adopting black into their current identity. 

I figured a basic recoloriong (without any actual redesign) might be faster. The Wizards switched from slate blue/black/copper to slate blue/black/gold without much fanfare. And, teams used to recolor their primary logo and push a new secondary logo to speed up and/or reduce the cost of rebranding. 

If the Jazz really wanted to, couldn't they have pulled off a recoloring of the existing brand template in a single off-season? 

55 minutes ago, keynote said:

That's what I would expect. I'm surprised they've already started recoloring other items, and adopting black into their current identity. 

I figured a basic recoloriong (without any actual redesign) might be faster. The Wizards switched from slate blue/black/copper to slate blue/black/gold without much fanfare. And, teams used to recolor their primary logo and push a new secondary logo to speed up and/or reduce the cost of rebranding. 

If the Jazz really wanted to, couldn't they have pulled off a recoloring of the existing brand template in a single off-season? 

I don’t think even we realized the wizards switched from bronze to gold. That’s probably why there wasn’t any fanfare. Switching from navy green and yellow to black and white is much more drastic.

• Like 3