2021-22 NBA Changes

42 minutes ago, pelicanfan said:

since we're on the topic of the color black, i would like to mention how many black painted courts there are  in the league. the jazz are just going to add more to the pile if they go with a black painted court. 

Reveal hidden contents

124383343_2801545606784447_8685226826224

NBA2-K21-2021-04-15-15-55-37.png

hawks-mlk-city-court.jpg

1305106728.jpeg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgxk9_d1Fk-0fHvbNEHww

nba2k20.exe+Screenshot+2019.09.09+-+18.4

valley-mainn.jpg

002350mmraq6nkz9uyeaar.png

203012j4g3uqq4uvxqfpmv.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLO5-6_wzsgrb0_f1brLG

now jazz:

IMG_2977.0.jpg

The NBA has an interesting relationship with the color black. I think it's a great color and one that goes well with mostly any color either as a trim or base color. And, the league tends to lean heavy on wearing the color ... to the point that in the early to mid-2000s the color was banned as a base color for new identities and/or second jerseys.

We wouldn't have these jerseys without that policy ...

third_jersey_111504_600.jpg2675568.jpg74401885-850x560.jpeg 

I say embrace the color. It looks good.

• Like 2

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Most of those courts are alt courts though. And one thing is if that's the shade of yellow Utah will use (highlighter yellow) I'm not sure how that would look on a court either. 

Time to fire up 2k and tinker with jerseys/court with the new colorway. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DJT said:

Most of those courts are alt courts though. And one thing is if that's the shade of yellow Utah will use (highlighter yellow) I'm not sure how that would look on a court either. 

Time to fire up 2k and tinker with jerseys/court with the new colorway. 

When they wear alternates as often as they do their primaries they might as well be the primary courts.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dont care said:

When they wear alternates as often as they do their primaries they might as well be the primary courts.

True. They are wearing the icon blues only 10 times this season which is wild. 

On 10/14/2021 at 12:41 AM, DustDevil61 said:

Second, does this make the Utah Jazz the NBA’s Vancouver Canucks and San Diego Padres, or does this make the San Diego Padres and Vancouver Canucks MLB’s and the NHL’s Utah Jazz?

The Canucks & Padres at least were smart enough to eventually realize that the best way to rebrand was to return to their classic colour scheme, not unveil another, completely different colour scheme that you’ve never used before. 

Hopefully there’s enough backlash this season that they reconsider, but it sounds like the wheels may be a little to far in motion. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

This is one of those jerseys that I'm half ashamed to admit that I think look amazing. It's so early 2000s and I love it. I don't really like the white and red versions of this either, just the yellow one.

Those alternates were great and I'm not ashamed to say it at all. One among the numerous recolor alternates in the league with slight changes during those times, that didn't feel as forgettable disposable afterthought like the current alternates produced by the City program etc do.  That's what it was about. I liked the regular whites and reds too.

On 10/14/2021 at 8:45 AM, the admiral said:

No no no. It was always a terrible fit for them. Phantom side panels, the most WordArt scripts we've ever seen, purple being a team color but also not. It was a disaster of a rebrand, especially because the Grizzlies rolled out almost the same colors like a week later.

I've said this once regarding the 90s Suns uniform, and the same thing probably applies to the 90s Jazz set: it was probably the right time to go away from the mountain uniforms.  That said, I wish the design they'd used for the light blue thirds had been the main design, if only due to at least looking somewhat distinctive.  Or that they'd been purple/light blue instead of double blue.  The whole thing was both bland and ugly to the extent that you don't even need to mention how the Grizzlies used basically the same colors in the same manner but more coherently.

• Like 2

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 10/14/2021 at 4:16 AM, the admiral said:

Not that the Jazz had a great thing going before, but borrowing heavily from one of my least favorite brands in pro sports is not a great move. I didn't think they could do worse than the lifeless 2004 redesign that "just screamed Utah," but this "we're just like the Jay-Z team now" clueless grope would do it.

Can't unthink it: the Utah Jay-Z

On 10/14/2021 at 8:22 AM, Foxxtrot44 said:

New logo incoming too.

J-note will be kept around in "some form."

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2021/10/13/owner-ryan-smith-confirms/

This sucks. The J-note is a solid logo with a long tradition. I guess when the Millers sold the team, its soul was sold too. Everything Smith says in this article doesn't bode well at all. The idea that the practice facility center court logo might be a hint of things to come just further screams wannabe Nets. So lame. 

On 10/15/2021 at 2:43 AM, the admiral said:

It wouldn't surprise me if the reasoning behind Brooklyn Nets Dress-Up, a sequence of words that should never be, were to take the heat off the hostile atmosphere at Jazz games and instead make people think of the sophisticated urbanites who support the Nets. Would it work? No. It doesn't even make any sense. But that doesn't mean they didn't pay some mediocre consultant to tell them that anyway.

I think you're probably right on some level.

On 10/15/2021 at 2:54 AM, kimball said:

Maybe we're switching yellows with the Lakers? At least Lakers fans can only hope.

The bright yellow makes me think of Atlanta's "volt" green. Hopefully Utah will also quickly move back to something a bit simpler.

13 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The Canucks & Padres at least were smart enough to eventually realize that the best way to rebrand was to return to their classic colour scheme, not unveil another, completely different colour scheme that you’ve never used before. 

Hopefully there’s enough backlash this season that they reconsider, but it sounds like the wheels may be a little to far in motion. 

One can only hope...

• Like 3

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

On 10/14/2021 at 9:44 AM, FinsUp1214 said:

The yellow the Jazz have been using to go along with the black and white roll-out has been a bit brighter, with a little bit of a highlighter yellow look to it:

spacer.png

I kind of get Columbus Crew vibes from it, though it would remain to be seen of course if they’d use the yellow as much as they do.

Yeah, or the Pittsburgh Jazz lol

• Like 2

17 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

One thing that Ryan Smith said that gives me hope is something to the effect of “Don’t be afraid to screw up.” Granted, that was regarding the 1980s computer-y font on the social media posts, but I’m hoping that he’s telling himself that about the rebrand too, whether with its criticism now, upon its full unveiling, or 3 years down down the road from then after his new stamp on the team is no longer new.

Smith and Co. seem to be at the same stage in regards to a return to purple as Padres management was about 5 years ago regarding a return to brown: “We own the team and have our own idea; we’re not changing back at this point.” Hopefully Jazz brass begin reconsidering—as Padres management eventually did—once the Black/White/Yellow novelty starts to wear off some 4 years from now.

Edited by DustDevil61
  • Like 1

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

2 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

One thing that Ryan Smith said that gives me hope is something to the effect of “Don’t be afraid to screw up.” Granted, that was regarding the 1980s computer-y font on the social media posts, but I’m hoping that he’s telling himself that about the rebrand too, whether with its criticism now, upon its full unveiling, or 3 years down down the road from then after his new stamp on the team is no longer new.

Smith and Co. seem to be at the same stage in regards to a return to purple as Padres management was about 5 years ago regarding a return to brown: “We own the team and have our own idea; we’re not changing back at this point.” Hopefully Jazz brass begin reconsidering—as Padres management eventually did—once the Black/White/Yellow novelty starts to wear off some 4 years from now.

That gives you hope? If anything that worries me more. That’s how we got the browns and bucs mistakes

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pyromania1983 said:

Sixers president Chris Heck posted a picture of the team's shorts waistband. Features another nod to the Spectrum with the iconic "S" logo. Pretty nice branding on this one by the Sixers!

Other than the goofy Boathouse row jerseys last year, that featured some input from that clown Simmons, the Sixers usually hit it out of the park with their branding since 2015

• Like 9

Speaking about 76ers, it's pretty sad that NBA got problem with recoginze NBL as their preceder because Sixers should have a Classic uni too since they were established in 1946 just like Celtics, Knicks and Warriors which received a Classic uniforms.

• Like 5

4r2eer.png