2021-22 NBA Changes

8 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

The Jazz are becoming one of those franchises where, by having so many variations on its brand, determining the "right" one will depend on when you grew up.

For example, as an NBA fan who came of age in the '80s, I'll always think of the Jazz as a purple/yellow/green franchise first. I never cared for the mountain jerseys — it was the start of their trend-chasing present. 

I think that's why I'm ... okay? ... with it.

And, I am in the same boat. I'd have to dig for a reference (which I really feel like doing right now), but from my understanding LHM was content on keeping the purple Jazz note logo, but was kiiiiiinda forced by the league. But, the revenue from a new look was the carrot the league dangled in front of LHM, which for a small market team makes a difference. The same thing happened in 2004 when the team went to navy and baby blue. It was all $$$ and Reebok drive from my understanding.

But, that's why you saw the team go back to the note logo shortly before his death and then a return to a more classic color (albeit navy swapped for purple).

The team HAS to at least keep the note logo, but I ... think? ... I am okay if the colors change.

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Warriors “mixtape” jerseys were just leaked. Been putting together some collages of the jerseys! I may be missing 1 or 2, but here’s what I got so far.

spacer.png

spacer.png

edit: I don’t know if the Phoenix jersey is legit. Also found out through @camisasdanba on twitter that the Pistons jersey will likely be 🔴

Edited by sharplcd
  • Like 3

The Bulls, Hawks and Sixers look like the best of the bunch so far, with the Celtics and Lakers not far behind.  Not a huge fan of what the Cavs did here...to be fair though, they must've used up all the good mashup ideas in the CavFanatic era.  It's still better than what the Heat and Thunder came up with, but that's like saying a torn dixie cup is more usable than a smushed cup.

• Like 5

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

49 minutes ago, Igor Coelho said:

@sharplcd,

Phoenix are not happening.

Cleveland, Atlanta and Brooklyn jerseys in this collage are counterfeits (but layout seems to be real).

yep, the Nets one is especially egregious with an incorrect wordmark and two side panels instead of just the left-side, like the real jersey.  accurate wordmarks for the Nets and Mavs below...

• Like 5

I wish the Lakers had yellow somewhere in their mixtape jersey…whether it be in the stars or replacing the light blue in the collar/shoulder trim. Don’t need a lot, just something small. 

And I wish the Warriors number font was the early 90s font. 

• Like 4

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 10/18/2021 at 10:07 PM, monkeypower said:

RE: Jazz talk, I don't know where I stand on it. I do agree that the Jazz have a colour palette issue (though I do think that's a bit overstated because not all the colours have been used over the same season)

They nearly did over the course of two seasons in which they wore classic editions, as they coincided with two seasons of the redrock set. While you’re correct in that they’ve never busted out EVERY color they’ve ever worn in one season, they just about did it over two with the exception of powder blue.

In both seasons, they wore three color schemes per season:

- Navy/Gold/Forest Green

- Redrock gradient (includes black)

- Purple/Gold/Kelly Green or Purple/Teal/Sky Blue/Copper

Sure, that isn’t all of the color schemes they’ve ever worn, but it’s still too way much over the course of one or even two seasons. And…..it also says a lot that it still wasn’t all the colors they’ve ever worn, either.

• Like 2

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

10 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I wish the Lakers had yellow somewhere in their mixtape jersey…whether it be in the stars or replacing the light blue in the collar/shoulder trim. Don’t need a lot, just something small. 

I think gold instead of white would work great with that color scheme.

Quick mockup on top of a mockup:

kB02FiZ.jpg

• Like 2

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

They nearly did over the course of two seasons in which they wore classic editions, as they coincided with two seasons of the redrock set. While you’re correct in that they’ve never busted out EVERY color they’ve ever worn in one season, they just about did it over two with the exception of powder blue.

In both seasons, they wore three color schemes per season:

- Navy/Gold/Forest Green

- Redrock gradient (includes black)

- Purple/Gold/Kelly Green or Purple/Teal/Sky Blue/Copper

Sure, that isn’t all of the color schemes they’ve ever worn, but it’s still too way much over the course of one or even two seasons. And…..it also says a lot that it still wasn’t all the colors they’ve ever worn, either.

I guess I worded my part incorrectly. It's not that they were all worn at different times, it's more that not all of them were permanent colours.  I don't even think the Jazz wearing three colour schemes a season is completely out of the ordinary in this modern NBA with the City jerseys and vague throwbacks. It's not great, but it's not a massive difference from what other teams are doing.

I don't think it's fair to include the throwbacks in this specific discussion because those, for the vast majority of teams, are going to be different than the main uniform set and are an intentional departure from the main uniform set. I don't think it's fair to say a team immediately has an identity problem just because they wore throwbacks a couple times over the course of a season.

If the new owner wants to change the look, that's his prerogative. I just don't think the narrative that he implied with his one tweet about the Jazz having too many colours is a good justification for this change because it's not as if all those colours are being used permanently at the same time. Especially since it looks like it'll be a completely new colour scheme and I would have to assume some of the previous colour schemes would return in some fashion. It's not the case where they are in between schemes (like the Arizona Coyotes of recent years) or wearing one colour set at home, a different on the road and then like the arena signage is a third. Everything is (or was) based in the Navy/Gold/Forest Green being the primary.

• Like 2

IEI5Tg1.png

21 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I guess I worded my part incorrectly. It's not that they were all worn at different times, it's more that not all of them were permanent colours.  I don't even think the Jazz wearing three colour schemes a season is completely out of the ordinary in this modern NBA with the City jerseys and vague throwbacks. It's not great, but it's not a massive difference from what other teams are doing.

I don't think it's fair to include the throwbacks in this specific discussion because those, for the vast majority of teams, are going to be different than the main uniform set and are an intentional departure from the main uniform set. I don't think it's fair to say a team immediately has an identity problem just because they wore throwbacks a couple times over the course of a season.

If the new owner wants to change the look, that's his prerogative. I just don't think the narrative that he implied with his one tweet about the Jazz having too many colours is a good justification for this change because it's not as if all those colours are being used permanently at the same time. Especially since it looks like it'll be a completely new colour scheme and I would have to assume some of the previous colour schemes would return in some fashion. It's not the case where they are in between schemes (like the Arizona Coyotes of recent years) or wearing one colour set at home, a different on the road and then like the arena signage is a third. Everything is (or was) based in the Navy/Gold/Forest Green being the primary.

I get where you’re coming from here, but I think you might be missing the bigger picture. Yes, the Jazz haven’t officially made all of those colors co-existing primary colors, and yes, everyone has city uniforms and most have had classic editions. But in the Jazz’s case, all of those identities have unofficially co-existed anyways because of how much these different identities have either segmented the fan base or led some fans to assume it’s all official. The story Smith told about D-Wade’s mom not knowing what the actual colors are isn’t all that uncommon, really, even within the Jazz fan base.

Fans outside of our CCSLC community generally don’t know the fine details like we do, and sometimes we have to step away from our lens to see the bigger picture and wider effect of these brand choices: if the team wears it, it’s going to appear official to most fans no matter what the designation is. Take it from someone who goes to multiple games every year, ALL of those colors are routinely worn to games as if they are all official in some capacity. And to be totally honest? Redrock and purple is worn more than the primary navy/gold/green, at least by my eye test. You still see it of course, but not so much that you’d assume it to be the primary scheme. This isn’t like the occasional Chicago flag color stuff in a sea of red and black at Bulls games.

In short, I’ve yet to attend a single game in which fans showed up to the arena in one dominant, “primary” color scheme (not including shirt giveaway games). You see them all, and some more do than what the team seems as primary. Maybe the team hasn’t made all of those colors co-existing primary colors officially, but the fan base sort of unofficially has.

BTW: I do agree with you that black/white/yellow isn’t the right solution either. I’d much rather them pick either of the purple schemes, stick with it, and reinforce the brand that way.

• Like 4

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

9 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I get where you’re coming from here, but I think you might be missing the bigger picture. Yes, the Jazz haven’t officially made all of those colors co-existing primary colors, and yes, everyone has city uniforms and most have had classic editions. But in the Jazz’s case, all of those identities have unofficially co-existed anyways because of how much these different identities have either segmented the fan base or led some fans to assume it’s all official. The story Smith told about D-Wade’s mom not knowing what the actual colors are isn’t all that uncommon, really, even within the Jazz fan base.

Fans outside of our CCSLC community generally don’t know the fine details like we do, and sometimes we have to step away from our lens to see the bigger picture and wider effect of these brand choices: if the team wears it, it’s going to appear official to most fans no matter what the designation is. Take it from someone who goes to multiple games every year, ALL of those colors are routinely worn to games as if they are all official in some capacity. And to be totally honest? Redrock and purple is worn more than the primary navy/gold/green, at least by my eye test. You still see it of course, but not so much that you’d assume it to be the primary scheme. This isn’t like the occasional Chicago flag color stuff in a sea of red and black at Bulls games.

In short, I’ve yet to attend a single game in which fans showed up to the arena in one dominant, “primary” color scheme (not including shirt giveaway games). You see them all, and some more do than what the team seems as primary. Maybe the team hasn’t made all of those colors co-existing primary colors officially, but the fan base sort of unofficially has.

BTW: I do agree with you that black/white/yellow isn’t the right solution either. I’d much rather them pick either of the purple schemes, stick with it, and reinforce the brand that way.

I'm not one to talk as, like I said in my first post, the two (2) pieces of Jazz merchandise I own are both Mountain jersey stuff. I have a sweater I bought four or five years ago with that era logo and then a Donovan Mitchell jersey I got two Christmases ago from my brother.

To your larger point, my brother got the Mountain jersey for me because he thought it was the cooler jersey.

IEI5Tg1.png

18 minutes ago, QCS said:

Really excited for teams to introduce their City unis and have like at least 10 of them be better than their normal sets

I feel like with the "mixtape" jerseys this year we won't be seeing that this year. Everything I've seen so far kinda sucks.

• Like 2

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

6 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Take it from someone who goes to multiple games every year, ALL of those colors are routinely worn to games as if they are all official in some capacity.

Change to black/white/yellow wouldn't resolve that problem but make it even deeper. Smith is naive or dumb or both if he think that changing an identify will cause people to ditch all other jerseys they wearing. It won't happen.

• Like 6

4r2eer.png

1 hour ago, Conrad. said:

Intriguing logo on these tees, with the OG Raptor wearing a chevron jersey...maybe it has something to do with the City unis  😉 

Interesting in that the Raptors were a little ahead of the whole “mixtape” trend, with both the 90s wordmark rendered in Drake black/gold, the new-style black alt with the subtle shadow jagged pinstripes, even the purple half/half revival.

• Like 4

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers