2021-22 NBA Changes

11 hours ago, colortv said:

I will say, the gold jersey numbers on the purple jerseys are a definite upgrade

This is another thing I don't like about the Lakers Statement jersey. The yellow numbers on purple absolutely sucks and it's because the contrast with a yellow number and white drop shadow is messed up, that font is not made for it at all, that drop shadow is so minimal that it makes that specific color combo look bad. Another issue is that the shade of yellow is ass and it doesn't help.

Even the Showtime Era numbers look bad when it's yellow. You just can't do these colors with a drop shadow.

ff_3666609-12ba95021de166fa4150alt1_full

The yellow wordmark and white number was a better color balance overall.

• Like 8

bSLCtu2.png

4 hours ago, JayMac said:

Each player will be equipped with coke bottle glasses and a pair of suspenders.

Great, it'll be just like every postgame press conference in 2014

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

This is another thing I don't like about the Lakers Statement jersey. The yellow numbers on purple absolutely sucks and it's because the contrast with a yellow number and white drop shadow is messed up, that font is not made for it at all, that drop shadow is so minimal that it makes that specific color combo look bad. Another issue is that the shade of yellow is ass and it doesn't help.

Even the Showtime Era numbers look bad when it's yellow. You just can't do these colors with a drop shadow.

I've always wondered why the away jerseys didn't have yellow numbers to match the yellow team name,  but the white numbers on the purple jerseys grew on me.  That said, these look perfectly fine to me.

15 hours ago, colortv said:

I will say, the gold jersey numbers on the purple jerseys are a definite upgrade over the white ones, look great on tv. This is what they should look like:

jerseys.jpg

la-lakers-2019-new-uniform-maybe-590x334

I still detest it. It goes against 50 years of Lakers’ history to have the purple jersey with yellow numbers and a white outline.

Of course it’s not the abomination that are the black side panels, but that’s another discussion. They need to throw away the whole jersey and start again. 

• Like 1

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

1 hour ago, sayahh said:

I've always wondered why the away jerseys didn't have yellow numbers to match the yellow team name,  but the white numbers on the purple jerseys grew on me.

Kinda feels like one of those historical quirks, like the Detroit Tigers’ jersey and cap D logos, that seems like maybe it happened by accident but then years later it gets “fixed” but it seems the fix is worse.

• Like 6

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

13 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I'm going to have to disagree, vehemently.

The gold numbers look great on tv, and contrast wonderfully with the dark purple the Lakers use.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

I still detest it. It goes against 50 years of Lakers’ history to have the purple jersey with yellow numbers and a white outline.

I think it's time we see the purple jersey with yellow colors.

I mean we saw the Lakers' yellow jerseys with purple and white numbers.

322e47873d8de9bd21c1e1ebaf49c3d2.jpg

The Greatest Lakers of All-Time: Shaquille O'Neal – Lakers UK

• Like 1

The Lakers don’t necessarily have the problem that the Celtics do: They can get away with a couple tweaks here and there. Number color doesn’t matter all that much, and it looks fine to me.

• Like 4

Excellent!

10 hours ago, TheRealPepman said:

I think it's time we see the purple jersey with yellow colors.

I mean we saw the Lakers' yellow jerseys with purple and white numbers.

322e47873d8de9bd21c1e1ebaf49c3d2.jpg

I agree with you, but to be fair, white numbers on home gold jerseys have been done before.  Nothing wrong with shaking things up, though!  It's not like the threw black numbers on there.  Crap, I hope I didn't give them any ideas!

On 5/13/2021 at 12:33 PM, sayahh said:

I've always wondered why the away jerseys didn't have yellow numbers to match the yellow team name,  but the white numbers on the purple jerseys grew on me.  That said, these look perfectly fine to me.

Maybe the issue is white drop shadows? Seems ok on 80s yellows. But 70s had white numbers

On 5/14/2021 at 11:26 AM, TheRealPepman said:

I've said it before but the Kobe/Shaq era jerseys will always be the best Lakers jerseys to me. I still don't fully understand why they felt the need to change in 2018. That incarnation transitioned fine to the Nike Aeroswift template in 2017.

https://www.nba.com/lakers/news/170808-lakers-nike-uniforms

• Like 7

4 hours ago, projectjohn said:

I've said it before but the Kobe/Shaq era jerseys will always be the best Lakers jerseys to me. I still don't fully understand why they felt the need to change in 2018. That incarnation transitioned fine to the Nike Aeroswift template in 2017.

https://www.nba.com/lakers/news/170808-lakers-nike-uniforms

Same reason why Cleveland switched jerseys: money and (coincidence or not) LeBron.

I hated those wishbone collars, the loss of the drop shadows, and the Haettenschweiler NOBs. Downgrades across the board from the quirkiness of Magic and Kareem's Lakers. I don't mind cleaning up the wordmark, and sure, maybe the drop shadows could have been scaled back a teensy bit, but they modernized too much. Always something to be said for classic cuffs and collars on basketball jerseys (see also: Bulls, Spurs). 

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

I hated those wishbone collars, the loss of the drop shadows, and the Haettenschweiler NOBs. Downgrades across the board from the quirkiness of Magic and Kareem's Lakers. I don't mind cleaning up the wordmark, and sure, maybe the drop shadows could have been scaled back a teensy bit, but they modernized too much. Always something to be said for classic cuffs and collars on basketball jerseys (see also: Bulls, Spurs). 

Yes, the dropping of the traditional collar/shoulder reducing color contrast, loss of dropshadows, and bulky side panels were downgrades imo.

I actually think the West/Chamberlain era uniforms might be the best:

Kobe+Bryant+Los+Angeles+Lakers+v+New+Yor

Just invert the color piping on the collar/shoulder so purple is dominant.

I also like this showtime era uniform with the white numbers:

kareem-abdul-jabbar-where-are-they-nowjp

I don't mind the white dropshadow numbers, they look good but I want consistency on the uniforms.

Kareem-Abdul-Jabbar-Goggles.png?fit=1500

• Like 6

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

It’s strange; I would never be caught dead wearing a v-neck t-shirt over a crew neck, yet for some reason I always liked the wishbone on basketball jerseys. Guess I was the right age at the right time when those debuted - I was a big fan of all the Nike ones that were introduced around that time (Lakers, Raptors, Mavs, Heat, Pistons) which all used similar design elements for the most part.

The Mavs have probably aged the worst, but the Lakers, Heat, and Pistons were all based on older classic jerseys so they’ve held up over time IMO, with the Heat and Pistons still being in use to the current day.

• Like 4

Speaking of the Knicks from earlier in the thread, I really wish they'd emphasize orange more in their branding.

They need to own the orange/royal blue colors like the Lakers do with purple/gold, Bulls with red/black, Celtics with green/white..

Their brand has so much potential to be just as iconic as those.

celtics-vs-knicks.jpg

lakers-vs-new-york-knicks.jpg

knicks-vs-blazers.jpg

bucks-vs-knicks.jpg

nCAC9KIBNz79nFwwMDo5pgRSK7-rrU21tLz3JEog

New-York-Knicks-vs.-Indiana-Pacers.jpg

magic-vs-knicks.jpg

I forgot to say it here earlier, but at the final Magic home game of the year they were selling the Statement and City jerseys 50% off AND buy one get one free. Obviously the City jersey won’t be around next year, but it’s interesting that the Statement ones were also in that promotion. This was the second year of the current blue jerseys with the weird rectangle panels, so I’d expect a new one for next season.

• Like 3

ExJworW.png

1 hour ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I forgot to say it here earlier, but at the final Magic home game of the year they were selling the Statement and City jerseys 50% off AND buy one get one free. Obviously the City jersey won’t be around next year, but it’s interesting that the Statement ones were also in that promotion. This was the second year of the current blue jerseys with the weird rectangle panels, so I’d expect a new one for next season.

Hopefully they return back to the old pinstriped blues.

spacer.png
These were their best jerseys in the set, and possibly the best since the original pinstripes.

• Like 7