THE NBA ALL-STAR SERIES - Dallas 3/16

timberwolf

I've decided to use this thread to continue my NBA All-Star Series. No use in making a whole new one.

I'm going to go in order by doing Cleveland, Salt Lake City, and then Indianapolis. After that, I'll just predict where the NBA will host their games based on the likelihood of the city (so cities like Chicago and Toronto are out because they just hosted one).

Here's the link to my Cleveland one...

I'll update this section of the thread whenever I complete a new city. Stay tuned for more!

Cleveland 2022

Salt Lake City 2023 (v2)

Indianapolis 2024

Miami 2025

Dallas 2026 (v2)

San Francisco 2027 (coming tonight)

Portland 2028 (coming soon)

and more...

spacer.png

The 2023 NBA All-Star Game is set to be held in Salt Lake City, Utah. This is my idea.

The logo (as seen above) is fairly self-explanatory. The classic Jazz note with Jerry on the basketball (while holding another basketball...basketballception).

The wordmark I used was derived from this uniform, which was from the only other time that Utah hosted an All-Star game. For the life of me, I could not find this script anywhere. I looked for an hour and then tried to make my own, but it came out really scuffed. 

The number font on the back is inspired by these uniforms, a rather forgotten part of Utah's uniform history.

The design should be obvious to any basketball fan. These beauties.

The colours for Team Siakam are inspired by these fan-favourite uniforms (which I also love). A nice ode to the mountains of Utah.

The Team Brown uniforms are the classic retro colours that have become so famous in the NBA.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Let me know what you guys think!

I really like these uniforms, they look great.

A lot of all-star game logos I find to be over the top (though I can understand why they are made that way) but I really like the note/ nba logo integration.

9 hours ago, jackkmart said:

I really like these uniforms, they look great.

A lot of all-star game logos I find to be over the top (though I can understand why they are made that way) but I really like the note/ nba logo integration.

Appreciated! I love minimal logos over complicated ones. It's way easier to recognize.

5 hours ago, jaytavo305 said:

gotta love the team brown purple beauties. Can we see an iteration with the current yellow blue and green?

Ask...and you shall receive.

spacer.png

spacer.png

What do we think?

3 hours ago, jackkmart said:

the jazz colored ones look even better i think. great work

(new blue and green unis)

I think they look sharp too! I appreciate it!

2 hours ago, Megildur said:

I love these, you've made great design choices and I appreciate you explaining all the sources of inspiration! My one gripe would be that the number on the front appears a little too small to me.

I love the feedback! My reasoning for the numbers was I wanted to replicate this look, by having the numbers over the peak of the mountain (similar to how it's over the star). I do agree it's on the small side, but the NBA doesn't seem to care about small numbers when it comes to All-Star uniforms so I guess it would pass in real life.

I'm going ahead and doing some Indianapolis concepts that will be posted in the next couple days. Stay tuned!

2 hours ago, timberwolf said:

I love the feedback! My reasoning for the numbers was I wanted to replicate this look, by having the numbers over the peak of the mountain (similar to how it's over the star). I do agree it's on the small side, but the NBA doesn't seem to care about small numbers when it comes to All-Star uniforms so I guess it would pass in real life.

You do make a fair point there, those 2021 all-star jerseys have tiny numbers. Because of that I'll retract my critique since it makes sense given the concept :)

15 hours ago, Megildur said:

You do make a fair point there, those 2021 all-star jerseys have tiny numbers. Because of that I'll retract my critique since it makes sense given the concept :)

All good!

Here's the next iteration of the series. I love doing these so far.

We go back to Indianapolis for 2024! Due to the COVID pandemic, the game held in Atlanta this year instead of the originally-planned Indianapolis. That didn't stop the NBA from using Indiana-inspired uniforms and logos this year.

To make this a bit of a challenge, I vowed to use none of the elements from this years set. That meant that this wordmark and these numbers were eliminated.

Here's what I did.

The logo for the event is the outline of Indiana from this alternate logo, combined with Jerry to create this...

spacer.png

It's really simple, but gets the job done.

The colours are a no-brainer. Classic Pacer colours from the dawn of time.

The wordmark and font is from the Paul George-era of Pacer basektball.

The design is inspired by these retro beauties, although I modified the sash a bit to fit the jersey cut.

Here's what happened!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Let me know what you all think!

Any suggestions for the next city?

5 hours ago, timberwolf said:

Any suggestions for the next city?

I’m surprised Miami wasn’t suggested.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

2 hours ago, jaytavo305 said:

Let's see Toronto or dallas

Dallas will be next! Toronto will be a bit down the line, considering they hosted in 2016.

On 3/13/2021 at 9:31 PM, Blindsay said:

I’m surprised Miami wasn’t suggested.

And here we are.

South Beach!

spacer.png

Allow me to break down the main mark.

The MIAMI ALL STAR font is derived from this famous poster. I had the Heat font in the beginning, but switched it to fit the design.

The "building" design is inspired by Miami's art deco culture. I used this building as a landmark when I was drawing it up.

The 2025 font is also art deco-inspired.

Do I need to explain the palm tree?

Also Jerry is featured in the building instead of the NBA logo. Just fit better.

I also created this icon as an alternate option.

spacer.png

And here's a better look at the text logo, which is featured on the shorts.

spacer.png

And the uniforms! I've got some explaining to do.

There was two colour combos I was considering. Their main colours or the Miami vice scheme.

I ultimately went with the Miami vice, because I felt it represented the city and the franchise - as opposed to just the franchise.

I went with a black jersey to represent the vibrant Miami nights...and a white jersey as a nod to the beautiful daytime in South Beach. Pretty simple.

The main jersey design is inspired by this uniform (one of my favourite Heat throwbacks) and this one. The Heat have used pretty consistent jersey designs throughout their history so I tried my best to honour more than one era.

The main script is derived from their famous Vice alternate series.

The name/number font is a nod to this set, as I wanted to avoid using the regular Heat font and explore a different direction.

The big shorts logo is an ode to this design from the 90s, when the Heat used a big flaming hoop on the right leg.

The black set...

spacer.png

The white set...

spacer.png

Let me know any thoughts and comments!

Dallas will be next up!

1 hour ago, synged said:

Can't wait!

I love all the art-deco inspiration, particularly the font from the poster. 

Appreciated! Dallas has an interesting history so I'm looking forward to it.

46 minutes ago, jaytavo305 said:

Hope to see the whole league potentially, that's a tall order but this series has been awesome!

I won't promise the whole league, but I'm definitely going to keep rolling for awhile. I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Hoping for a couple more comments on Miami, but I'm working on Dallas right now and it will be posted this evening!

2026!

Thanks to @synged for the suggestion...we go to Dallas for the next instalment of the series.

spacer.png

Here's the explanations.

The general theme of the logo comes from this mark, which was designed and used for the 1986 NBA All-Star Game (the first time the Mavericks were chosen as hosts).

The hat on the top of Texas is inspired by this logo, which I really want them to remaster and start using again.

The star is the location of Dallas on the map. :)

I don't know if this logo is my favourite of the series, but I really enjoy how it came out.

The uniforms!

The main design (and colours) for the jerseys is derived from these classic throwbacks. I never loved the side-piping they've used for the last couple decades.

The main wordmark is the same script as the current primary logo (to an extent) and the number font is the one they currently use.

The dark uniform...

spacer.png

The light uniform...

spacer.png

Spoiler

Here are the alternate colour options. They're taken from this uniform, which is just their typical double-blue and grey combo.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Let me know what y'all think! 2027 will coming in the next couple days!

I like Dallas! I think the Jazz and Pacers' editions are cooler, because you have more interesting team history to work with, but Dallas does good with what you have to work with. I do think switching the logo on the bottom of the shorts with the one on the center of the shorts could make it scream "Dallas" a bit more. An outline of Texas with the NBA logo in it (ala what you did with the Pacers) would fit more than the star with the logo IMO. Also, I think the Timberwolves, Wizards, or previously mentioned Warriors could offer up some interesting design ideas!

13 hours ago, Silence of the Rams said:

Seeing as San Francisco just opened up a new arena. How about something for the chase center

The San Golden Francisco State Warriors will be next up! :) 

6 hours ago, jbird669 said:

The Miami set is on point! I love the logo with the palm trees. 

Love the feedback! Thank you.

13 hours ago, Megildur said:

I like Dallas! I think the Jazz and Pacers' editions are cooler, because you have more interesting team history to work with, but Dallas does good with what you have to work with. I do think switching the logo on the bottom of the shorts with the one on the center of the shorts could make it scream "Dallas" a bit more. An outline of Texas with the NBA logo in it (ala what you did with the Pacers) would fit more than the star with the logo IMO. Also, I think the Timberwolves, Wizards, or previously mentioned Warriors could offer up some interesting design ideas!

Here's what I did...

I tried out a Texas outline Jerry logo (similar to the Indiana one) but I didn't look as natural and cohesive as I wanted. I opted to go with the full event logo on the shorts instead.

The dark uniform...

spacer.png

The light uniform...

spacer.png

I also adjusted the name/numbers because I noticed they were a little low on the first draft.

What do we think?

Golden State 2027 will be posted later tonight/midday tomorrow. I'm thinking Portland next? They're one of the four teams who haven't hosted an All-Star Game yet (alongside Memphis, Sacramento, and OKC).

Archived