Your Uniform/Logo "Rules" That You've Relaxed Over Time

I've noticed over the past few years, that I've really gotten over a personal peeve of mine where I wanted everything in a uniform or logo to match.

An example:

2559d7603ouedg7ldhw0br4fn.png

I used to dislike that TORONTO was solid, while BLUE JAYS the distinctive split-lettering. I always wanted the TORONTO to match, so everything could be nice and neat and perfect.

Now, when I look at the Blue Jays logo, I really like that Toronto is different than Blue Jays; it helps to break up the logo.

Another one:

6559_indianapolis_colts-road-2020.png

I always wanted the helmet to have the same 2 stripes as the jersey and the pants. While I still think that would be preferable to the one stripe, I think the mismatched stripes give the look a little bit of personality, and prevents it from looking too over-designed, where everything HAS to match.

Same thing with the Maple Leafs' current look:

Toronto Maple Leafs Officially Unveil Their New Uniforms – SportsLogos.Net  News

The single stripe on the jersey hem and the pants (rather than carrying the 2-stripe theme throughout) helps to break up the look and prevents a look where everything matches TOO well.

These are things that used to bother me, but now I have started to lean the other way, and it doesn't bother me as much when things like stripe color/size/outline/layout don't bother me as much as they used to when the exact theme doesn't repeat over the entire uniform.

Do you have any personal logo/uniform "rules" that you've relaxed, or changed thoughts entirely on?

I guess I am pretty old and curmudgeonly. I pretty much hold onto most rules.

The closest I can come is not being as interested in MLB going with no-NOB at home and using an NOB on the road. It was never a rule but I liked it.  That was a nice little tradition that I still recall being done by some teams.  But that's pretty much gone now and I don't really lament that reality.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, neo_prankster said:

With this new era of limited crowds or crowdless games, I say we should let ads stay on uniforms.

But in a few months, when stadiums are back to full capacity, would you get rid of them?

the user formerly known as cdclt

2 minutes ago, QCS said:

But in a few months, when stadiums are back to full capacity, would you get rid of them?

I'm not too sure. Because there may be a chance those uniform ads could be a viable revenue stream, especially for teams that have been unable to have crowds or unable to play in their own market (ex. 49ers, SJ Sharks) for the past year.

HOWEVER, It would be nice if Charlotte's city crown could be shared by the Hornets, Panthers, Checkers, Knights and the new MLS club.

1 minute ago, neo_prankster said:

I'm not too sure. Because there may be a chance those uniform ads could be a viable revenue stream, especially for teams that have been unable to have crowds or unable to play in their own market (ex. 49ers, SJ Sharks) for the past year.

HOWEVER, It would be nice if Charlotte's city crown could be shared by the Hornets, Panthers, Checkers, Knights and the new MLS club.

That's the thing, they are a very viable revenue stream. That's why we're seeing the NHL's helmet ads continue and why the NBA hasn't dropped the sponsor patch. And once they start, they won't stop.

As for the crown, I'd love to see it shared, but the trademark is owned by the city. Those teams would have to pay to use it, which they don't seem keen on doing.

the user formerly known as cdclt

On 3/14/2021 at 8:32 AM, Bob5151 said:

I've noticed over the past few years, that I've really gotten over a personal peeve of mine where I wanted everything in a uniform or logo to match.

An example:

2559d7603ouedg7ldhw0br4fn.png

I used to dislike that TORONTO was solid, while BLUE JAYS the distinctive split-lettering. I always wanted the TORONTO to match, so everything could be nice and neat and perfect.

Now, when I look at the Blue Jays logo, I really like that Toronto is different than Blue Jays; it helps to break up the logo.

Another one:

6559_indianapolis_colts-road-2020.png

I always wanted the helmet to have the same 2 stripes as the jersey and the pants. While I still think that would be preferable to the one stripe, I think the mismatched stripes give the look a little bit of personality, and prevents it from looking too over-designed, where everything HAS to match.

Same thing with the Maple Leafs' current look:

Toronto Maple Leafs Officially Unveil Their New Uniforms – SportsLogos.Net  News

The single stripe on the jersey hem and the pants (rather than carrying the 2-stripe theme throughout) helps to break up the look and prevents a look where everything matches TOO well.

These are things that used to bother me, but now I have started to lean the other way, and it doesn't bother me as much when things like stripe color/size/outline/layout don't bother me as much as they used to when the exact theme doesn't repeat over the entire uniform.

Do you have any personal logo/uniform "rules" that you've relaxed, or changed thoughts entirely on?

The Colts’ uniforms provide an example of something on which I’ve changed: I used to hate sleeve/shoulder stripes that didn’t go all the way around. Anymore I see them as a function of tight-fitting jerseys. 

(I still get illogically happy when I see one that does go all the way around, though.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2021 at 12:17 PM, QCS said:

That's why we're seeing the NHL's helmet ads continue

I laughed when the NHL tried to claim with a straight face that helmet ads are only for this one season. Yeah, sure. They're here and will not go away.

Archived