2021-2022 International Club Soccer Kits

MJWalker45

Here's a weird one from the fourth tier of English football: Newport County AFC have been forced to stop selling their 2021-22 third kit after they were threatened with legal action by Burberry.

Here's Burberry's signature plaid pattern on the left, and Newport's kit on the right:

side-by-side.jpg

The story also involves a comedy rap group from Wales and the rise of "chav" culture in the U.K. Click the link above for my writeup on it for the mothership.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, officeglenn said:

Here's a weird one from the fourth tier of English football: Newport County AFC have been forced to stop selling their 2021-22 third kit after they were threatened with legal action by Burberry.

Here's Burberry's signature plaid pattern on the left, and Newport's kit on the right:

side-by-side.jpg

The story also involves a comedy rap group from Wales and the rise of "chav" culture in the U.K. Click the link above for my writeup on it for the mothership.

They don't even look the same! 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

They don't even look the same! 

Ehhh, it's not exactly the same, but it's close enough to cause confusion at a glance, what with the similar base colours and a plaid pattern. This might be a case where they believed in the "change it 30%" myth and thought they could get away with it. 

• Like 1

I don't love the new Norwich one but it does retain the character and the feel of the old one, so I don't know what more you could ask for if you liked the original. I think they could have done something more elegant but it does run the risk of entering the bland modernity a lot of other badge redesigns have hit.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

46 minutes ago, Prince Harry said:

Norwich re-design is about as good as you could hope for but of course there’s supporters in the Twitter replies be-moaning the removal of the black lines as a loss of character lol. I guess to their credit, Norwich has rarely altered their badge to the extent other clubs have. 

Norwich City launch third kit for 2020-21 season - Norwich City

I thought this might be the new canary, but getting a better look it's still the current bird. I like the idea of it sitting on it's own outside of the crest. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 11/23/2021 at 12:04 PM, -kj said:

Norwich City just released a new club crest.

That’s a home run right there… or, a goal, I guess.

On 11/23/2021 at 12:21 PM, Digby said:

I am cracking up at this. Can't believe I didn't appreciate Sad Mean Lion when I had the chance.

spacer.png

Reaction GIF

• Like 2

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Norwich City launch third kit for 2020-21 season - Norwich City

I thought this might be the new canary, but getting a better look it's still the current bird. I like the idea of it sitting on it's own outside of the crest. 

That feels too Tottenham for me. And I don't normally get too bent out of shape about re-coloring crests for away kits in weird color schemes, but in Norwich City's case, their color scheme is so distinctive that they should keep the crest in that standard as much as possible.

• Like 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

It's always funny to me when a soccer club outside of the States/Canada upgrades their crest by improving it in like every way and the fans are livid because it doesn't include a poorly drawn lion/bird/crown/whatever that's been there since like 1890. Such a different world compared to how the US does it.

• Like 7

the user formerly known as cdclt

5 minutes ago, QCS said:

It's always funny to me when a soccer club outside of the States/Canada upgrades their crest by improving it in like every way and the fans are livid because it doesn't include a poorly drawn lion/bird/crown/whatever that's been there since like 1890. Such a different world compared to how the US does it.

And if they hadn't mentioned it, how long would it take for those not paying attention to that club to notice? Granted you had Juventus downgrade their logo and it got torn apart. But they refused to go back like other teams have. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png