1977 & 78 Brewers

I just realized in 1977 when the Mariners joined the American League, they had blue caps with a gold "M" but it was shaped like a trident.

The 1977 Brewers had blue caps (although they always looked purple to me for some odd reason) and a gold "M".

Would this possibly be why the Brewers switched in 1978 to the ball in glove MB logo for their caps?

I doubt it. The Brewers announced their contest to look for a new logo in 1977. I doubt that they reacted due to the Mariners' debut, rather they were planning a redesign all along. They tweaked their unis with regularity in their first decade of existence. 

It's where I sit.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree it was a coincidence more than anything. What always perplexed me is that the Mariners chose such similar colors to the Brewers in the first place. 

Sure, the Brewers colors were technically a hand me down from Seattle. But if you're the Mariners, why align yourself in any way with the disaster that was the Pilots franchise?

On 4/9/2021 at 4:43 PM, NicDB said:

I have to agree it was a coincidence more than anything. What always perplexed me is that the Mariners chose such similar colors to the Brewers in the first place. 

Sure, the Brewers colors were technically a hand me down from Seattle. But if you're the Mariners, why align yourself in any way with the disaster that was the Pilots franchise?

That is an excellent question.  It was the 70s, and bright colors were in vogue.  But that color combination was an odd choice.

Archived