2021 NCAA Frozen Four

Brian in Boston

We're just hours away from the bracket for the 2021 NCAA Men's Frozen Four tournament being announced.

That said, one hopeful program has already had its dreams of capturing the title dashed.

"Due to a positive COVID-19 test result within the Saint Lawrence University men's hockey Tier 1 personnel on Sunday afternoon, and in accordance with New York State and NCAA quarantine guidelines, the team will not be able to accept the ECAC Hockey automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament."

Men's Hockey 2020-21 Season Ends with ECAC Hockey Title

I have a dear friend whose son plays for SLU. Absolutely gutting news.

That is rough... Replacing St. Lawrence in the bracket is Quinnipiac. The Bobcats were going to be an at-large team, but this ends up allowing Omaha and Notre Dame to get in.

Anyhow, the games:

Midwest Regional - Fargo, ND

(4) American International vs. (1) North Dakota

(3) Minnesota Duluth vs. (2) Michigan

East Regional - Bridgeport, CT

(4) Bemidji State vs (1) Wisconsin

(3) Lake Superior State vs. (2) Massachusetts

West Regional - Loveland, CO

(4) Omaha vs. (1) Minnesota

(3) Quinnipiac vs. (2) Minnesota State-Mankato

Northeast Regional - Albany, NY

(4) Notre Dame vs. (1) Boston College

(3) Boston University vs. (2) St. Cloud State

1 hour ago, Seadragon76 said:

West Regional - Loveland, CO

(4) Omaha vs. (1) Minnesota

(3) Quinnipiac vs. (2) Minnesota State-Mankato

Just so we're clear, these games will be played in something called the Budweiser Events Center in a suburb of Fort Collins.

12 hours ago, sportsfan7 said:

Just so we're clear, these games will be played in something called the Budweiser Events Center in a suburb of Fort Collins.

It's where the Colorado Eagles (AHL) play. They will not allow many fans in, anyway, so they do not need a huge arena for those games.

59ea7286cd78e_NewAvsSig.png.5747971588ea035fdc4dbcf3bf43f77a.png

12 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

#LetsGoRed 

Women's championship already claimed. Let's bring home the men's as well.

Like in 2006.

I really like the way they're playing in recent weeks.  In January, the idea of a 1 seed would have seemed unlikely, but their goalie tandem is solid and they have some firepower, including Caufield, who will finish either 1 or 2 in the Hobey voting. (Also, in Minnesota, I've had suprisingly many opportunities to see them play). NCAA tourney hockey is fairly random, but the Badgers have a shot.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

5 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Like in 2006.

I really like the way they're playing in recent weeks.  In January, the idea of a 1 seed would have seemed unlikely, but their goalie tandem is solid and they have some firepower, including Caufield, who will finish either 1 or 2 in the Hobey voting. (Also, in Minnesota, I've had suprisingly many opportunities to see them play). NCAA tourney hockey is fairly random, but the Badgers have a shot.

I assume you saw Darryl Watts' goal to win the women's title. I feel horrible for the Northeastern defender.

It's where I sit.

5 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I assume you saw Darryl Watts' goal to win the women's title. I feel horrible for the Northeastern defender.

I don't have ESPN U so was following on Twitter.  Was happy when I saw the news, but when I saw the reply I thought "well, that's not exactly how I wanted it to happen."  I do feel bad for her. Such a bang-bang play and she didn't really make an egregious error.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Five D1 programs in Minnesota, all five make it to the tourney. I feel like Herbie would be proud.

St. Thomas, you've got some stiff in-state competition.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2021 at 9:26 PM, Geoff said:

Five D1 programs in Minnesota, all five make it to the tourney. I feel like Herbie would be proud.

St. Thomas, you've got some stiff in-state competition.

And in peak Minnesota fashion, all 5 end up losing.

St. Cloud got smashed. 

Congrats to UMass on their first Championship. 

On 4/11/2021 at 3:09 AM, AustinFromBoston said:

And in peak Minnesota fashion, all 5 end up losing.

St. Cloud got smashed. 

Congrats to UMass on their first Championship. 

That really doesn't do justice to just how peak Minnesota hockey this is.

All 5 DI Minnesota teams made it as part of the 8 teams in the regional semi-finals. UM and MN State played each other, and Bemidji State got blanked by the eventual champs (truthfully, I'm shocked Bemidji made it as far as they did), but we were still looking at 3 of the Frozen Four being from the State of Hockey.

As an aside, this is the first time since 2007 that no #1 seed has been in the Frozen Four.

Congrats to the Minutemen on the win!

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Archived