MJHL Redesign - Winnipeg Freeze

TrueNorth13

Steinbach looks great, though if I'm nitpicking I'd say that the primary logo and alt logo are a *bit* out of sync b/c the car has more shading/lighting than the piston.

Portage Bay are an upgrade! The terrier logo is very nicely executed, but I wonder if it could be a bit bigger because the large T is unfairly hogging the focus a bit.

I like the alt and throwback for the Steelers. You did a good job cleaning up the person logo (though the face he's making is a bit awkward), but mostly I'm just not a fan of the idea of the logo itself. I'd like to see the alternate iron beam logo use the same outlines & shading as the primary logo's hockey stick, and maybe a hard hat shoulder patch or something.

The Stampeders are also an upgrade. The Trojan horse "SVS" fauxback logo is really nice, and pairs well with those stitched numbers and color scheme. The primary logo is also solid; it'd be a good Denver Broncos concept too :) Speaking of Denver, the retro jersey with the rip-off horse head works much better than the full logo would suggest. The colors and restrained design work really well with a potentially busy logo, so well done!

Really good work; keep it up!

22 hours ago, vtgco said:

Steinbach looks great, though if I'm nitpicking I'd say that the primary logo and alt logo are a *bit* out of sync b/c the car has more shading/lighting than the piston.

Portage Bay are an upgrade! The terrier logo is very nicely executed, but I wonder if it could be a bit bigger because the large T is unfairly hogging the focus a bit.

I like the alt and throwback for the Steelers. You did a good job cleaning up the person logo (though the face he's making is a bit awkward), but mostly I'm just not a fan of the idea of the logo itself. I'd like to see the alternate iron beam logo use the same outlines & shading as the primary logo's hockey stick, and maybe a hard hat shoulder patch or something.

The Stampeders are also an upgrade. The Trojan horse "SVS" fauxback logo is really nice, and pairs well with those stitched numbers and color scheme. The primary logo is also solid; it'd be a good Denver Broncos concept too :) Speaking of Denver, the retro jersey with the rip-off horse head works much better than the full logo would suggest. The colors and restrained design work really well with a potentially busy logo, so well done!

Really good work; keep it up!

Thanks for the comments and compliments! With Steinbach, I had made the updated Pistons logo first and the car logo second. When I presented it to the team, they requested several changes for each logo. So a lot of the changes from there were up to the team and me. Though I also wouldn't have picked up on the difference in shading at the time, but definitely see what you're saying! 

I'm also not a fan of the Steelers logo, I think they could've done something way better. But it's an old logo. I also don't want to change some logos too much in hopes that maybe the team will like the changes and consider letting me work with them😅

Virden Oil Capitals

Virden is another team where I didn't do anything crazy with their current look. I really thought about changing their colours, maybe and orange and navy like the Oilers, but ultimately I stuck with their red and black look. I did switch the primary dark uniform colour to red. The biggest change is the logo. Again, not a huge change, but I simplified it a little bit. Took out some aspects I didn't think were all to necessary, the shadowing in the current logo. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

Waywayseecappo Wolverines

I almost made a complete change with Wayway. I changed up their logo style, but kept the paw and claws aspect, while choosing a different 'W' for the primary. I also chose to switch out the yellow with the Florida Panthers gold. The dark and light uniforms feature a custom striping pattern. The stripes on the arm form a 'W'. The alternate is based on (obviously the Senators template) a uniform Wayway used to wear.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

I love this thread! It's great to see more junior hockey on the board. My favourites so far are the Pistons and Wolverines, but they're all so good. The vintage style Stampeders logo is excellent in its departure from the usual genres of hockey logos. The 'W's on the Wolverines' sleeves are a great touch.

Like many on this board I think, seeing a team wear one of my designs would be a dream come true! How did you get that opportunity?

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 12:53 PM, TrueNorth13 said:

I also don't want to change some logos too much in hopes that maybe the team will like the changes and consider letting me work with them😅

Well, that's a fair reason! Hopefully the rest of the teams appreciate your work like Steinbach did, because you're definitely doing some noticeable upgrades!

It's a good font change and cleanup for Virden, though I'd be curious if there's a way to incorporate the tower of the oil rigs, because right now it takes a sec to figure out what they are!

The jerseys are solid. The retro color scheme is quite nice but I'm not feeling the logo execution; maybe an arched gap in the V for the text would improve it, and/or a slightly different block font?

The Wolverines' W striping is fun! I guess the Washington Capitals '90s hem striping was technically W-shaped if you look at them from the side but they totally could've done something like this for a less subtle take.

The old logo you use for the retro uniform really doesn't do well with the introduction of both brown and red. I think you'd be better off if you could pare it down a color or two.

11 hours ago, jwinters said:

I love this thread! It's great to see more junior hockey on the board. My favourites so far are the Pistons and Wolverines, but they're all so good. The vintage style Stampeders logo is excellent in its departure from the usual genres of hockey logos. The 'W's on the Wolverines' sleeves are a great touch.

Like many on this board I think, seeing a team wear one of my designs would be a dream come true! How did you get that opportunity?

Steinbach is my hometown team, plus I had done a few things for them in the past. I've actually had a couple Movember and Pink in the Rink uniforms worn in game that I have designed. That definitely helped my case getting my designs for their full time look to be considered. I actually just ended up emailing the GM/Head coach, and he liked the designs and we went from there. I also work a seasonal job in Steinbach and my boss is the GM's brother, which maybe helps even more😅 I was definitely honoured to have them wear my designs as their full time look, and the special event uniforms in the past as well. I have 3 of the 6 uniforms I've designed so far for them on my wall, so it is truly a dream come true!

Maybe I'll just add the special event uniforms here too, not that I'll change how they look, because they were all used already, but in case anyone is curious about them. Most of them designed before I renamed by business. 

Pink in the Rink 2017

spacer.png

Movember 2018

spacer.png

Movember 2019

spacer.png

Movember 2020 (Wasn't worn in game due to Covid shutdowns)

spacer.png

• Like 3

10 hours ago, vtgco said:

Well, that's a fair reason! Hopefully the rest of the teams appreciate your work like Steinbach did, because you're definitely doing some noticeable upgrades!

It's a good font change and cleanup for Virden, though I'd be curious if there's a way to incorporate the tower of the oil rigs, because right now it takes a sec to figure out what they are!

The jerseys are solid. The retro color scheme is quite nice but I'm not feeling the logo execution; maybe an arched gap in the V for the text would improve it, and/or a slightly different block font?

The Wolverines' W striping is fun! I guess the Washington Capitals '90s hem striping was technically W-shaped if you look at them from the side but they totally could've done something like this for a less subtle take.

The old logo you use for the retro uniform really doesn't do well with the introduction of both brown and red. I think you'd be better off if you could pare it down a color or two.

The retro logos for basically every team is an exact copy of the logo they once wore. I didn't change anything about those logos or uniforms. (Except making Neepawa's retro black instead of red.) I wanted to keep it as a true retro, with little to no changes. That would be the reasoning behind some of the logos, like Virden or Waywayseecappo looking not as good as it could be. Kind of fits the era they were designed in. 

Winkler Flyers

The Winkler Flyers unveiled a new logo and new uniforms a year or 2 ago. Simply put, I didn't really like them. Their new logo isn't terrible, but there's just so much detail in it. They have a black background with some details in a dark grey, and it just doesn't translate well in most cases. You'd have to either zoom in or look real close at a uniform to see the details. It works for a special logo, but I wouldn't add that much hidden detail for the primary logo. I just simplified the logo they unveiled. For the uniforms, the striping is what they use currently. They're light uniforms they released feature no black on the uniform, besides the logo, which didn't make much sense to me. Especially with the predominantly black logo. It didn't really fit. So maybe this is more of a fix than a redesign in this specific case. The Flyers are a team with little to no change which doesn't make it too easy to make a cool retro look. I did use a true to era retro logo. So basically it looks like a hand drawn version of their primary logo. The alternate is similar to what Philly did, a black and orange look with little to no white, except for the numbers in this case, just to make them easier to read from the stands. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Winnipeg Blues

The second last team. The first of two Winnipeg teams. The Winnipeg Blues. They have had many different looks in the past, but most recently they have used almost a cookie cutter look to the Winnipeg Ice of the WHL. The ownership group that owns the ICE, also owns the Winnipeg Blues and Winnipeg Freeze and rather than each team have it's own identity, they figured just make all teams look the same. Not sure that's the best route to take. I wanted to give both Winnipeg teams their own identity. To separate from each other. So I brought the Blues back to a classic royal blue and yellow. It's a very different logo and uniform design than they have ever used, but I'm pretty tired of teams called the Blues to just use the St. Louis logo. 

The alternate uniform uses a template they wore a couple years ago. Except back then it was yellow, which I never understood when they were called the 'Blues'. So I changed it to blue. The retro is one I found while researching the team. Obviously that logo is older than I am, and I couldn't find any other image with that logo, so I can't confirm it's legit, but it fits into the retro theme, so I went with it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

I gotta say this... all the MJHL teams in here for the redesigning of jerseys and logos.. WOW!!! Im so impressed.. and never knew ya did some work for the Stienbach Pistons as well.. impressive... some of the redesigned logos should be made for real .. and I do love some of the retro jerseys however one jersey with the retro logo (Winnipeg Blues) got my attention a bit.. didnt think I would see that old logo before till now.. 

BUT do keep up the good work!! Want to see how ya do with the version of the Winnipeg Freeze too.. I have gone to a few MJHL games years ago but hadnt gone for a long time and hoping to resume that once all the covid crap is done with finally...

• Like 1

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

I've been following on your instagram so I have not really responded here, but I think feedback is always deserved.

Portage Terriers

100% upgrade on that logo simplification. Love when dark jerseys feature a lot of white, and of course the light uniforms are stellar. The alt pop, but I think the collar could use some more green. This is a situation where I'd love to see the pants with each set. I know a lot of junior teams only feature one option (unless they have some shells). The gold definitely need some green bottoms. 

I like the rework for Neepawa. The green on green is the better of the two, but the black/green feels more on brand.

Selkirk Steelers

I don't like the overall approach to this logo to begin with, but I have to say you made it a lot better. Dark/light are classy, but I wish they would have at least one alt that wasn't the Hawks. I completely get the Retro, but some slight variation for the actual alt would have been awesome. I love the I-Beam logo, especially the retro.

Steinbach Pistons

The alt is one of my favorite logos in junior hockey, and I am so happy their new primary simplified the brand by getting rid of chrome. Dark/light/retro are all spot on, but I wish there was some tweaks to the alt. Something about only white on the shoulder feels unbalanced.

Swan Valley Stampeders

Idk which logo I like more of the two. Hell, idk which of your color scheme I like more, either. That Pittsburgh template with a spin is beautiful, and the focus on light blue for the light uniform is bold. The font is awkward, but I could get behind it. The alts are so funky, and I love it. The mismatched colors and stripes somehow feel right. This is the #1 retro jersey without having anything to do with the team's history, while also not even being a retro. Speaking of retros, theirs holds the other three back, but I get why you've used it. This is the best overall team.

Virden Oil Capitals

I've never liked this team in any way, but you did your best with what you had. Only thing I'm not sure about on the logo is changing the sticks to white. They kind of blend with the silver. The Team Canada dark/light are suitable, and the chest striped alt makes the logo look even more busy. I like the Retro the most out of the four.

Waywaytoolongofacityname Wolverines

The new logo is so much cleaner, and I appreciate you killing that funky "W". Dark/light are so clean, I would buy the white one. The Ottawa gold alt is aggressive, but I like it as an alt. I would have liked to see more athletic gold used in the retro. So much more that I would argue the primary color should have been their original athletic gold. I know this idea wouldn't be good, but I would kill to see a "New York" diagonal text like they have on their current dark, but switch out "Wolverines" with "Waywayseecappo". It would be an absolute mess, but it would give hardcore juniors vibes.

Winklers Flyers

Thank you for bringing more orange to the logo. Speaking of orange, it pops on the dark uniform, but seems off on the light. The orange focus is preferred, but I think the light could use some black. The alt/retros are all Flyers. I'll say they look good, but get a low score on creativity.

Winnipeg Blues

Way to upgrade this team from a St. Louis ripoff that is seen often at this level. Your logo blows their current one out of the water. The dark uniform is perfect, but I would not mind a blue buffer between the white and yellow on the light. Honestly, I think the chest stripe can be completely removed for this team. We have seen a ton of it in this series, and that logo gets busy with that added feature. I like the "Blues" chest on the alt, and their retro looks like Buffalo. I have always hated that their arms go blue/yellow/blue while the hem goes yellow/blue/yellow, but that is my own taste.

It isn't here yet, but I have to say that I wish your "Freeze" script was the primary. While I like your new logo, the script is far superior. The modern approach is the right one around your current primary, but you could string together a gorgeous traditional set around the script. 

• Like 1

Appreciate the comments on this series! This will be the last one in my MJHL series. 

Winnipeg Freeze

This was one of my favourites to redesign because the logos and uniforms they released were just so bad. In my opinion at least. The team was put together in a matter of months and their logo definitely reflected that. Their uniforms weren't much to look at either. The Freeze are similar to the Blues. They're both owned by the same group that owns the Winnipeg ICE, and they decided to make all the teams look the same. Same colours, and for the Freeze, the same font as the Ice. They rushed the design and team onto the ice. There was many things I would've done differently if I were them, including taking some more time to develop their own identity and a more modern look. This is what I came up with to replace their current look.

I designed a brand new primary logo. One that stands out and creates an identity for the Freeze. I paired that logo with a fauxback logo for their retro uniform. Since they're a brand new team, they don't have a retro, so I created my own look for that uniform. I agree with one of the comments above this post, I think that "retro" script would work as the primary, but I do quite love the snowman I designed as well. 

I did keep the same colours, even though it's the same scheme as the Ice, but since I updated the Blues colours, I thought it would still work well.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

On 4/1/2021 at 8:40 AM, TrueNorth13 said:

The retro logos for basically every team is an exact copy of the logo they once wore. I didn't change anything about those logos or uniforms. (Except making Neepawa's retro black instead of red.) I wanted to keep it as a true retro, with little to no changes. That would be the reasoning behind some of the logos, like Virden or Waywayseecappo looking not as good as it could be. Kind of fits the era they were designed in. 

Well, at least for Waywayseecappo, I think even the coloration of the "Old" logo in your first graphic is better than the one with red on the jersey, but I can respect your restraint from taking artistic liberties on a throwback.

Not really feeling Winkler that much, TBH. The shape of the wings is improved a big, but the white outline feels like an obtrusive addition. Also, I kinda like the original's details in the shield; sorta reminds of the Golden Knights' floral flourishes that aren't technically part of the logo, but are a nice detail for on-ice applications. The rays you've replaced them with are kinda generic, so I'd rather you just got rid of the shield altogether.

The Freeze, on the other hand, is a huge upgrade! The Winnipeg Ice font of the original looks terrible, and both your scary snowman logo and the script logo are SOOO much better. All the jerseys are perfect; no changes needed.

The Blues' new logo is quite nice, though I'd like to see the treble clef appear without a roundel on at least one of the jerseys. I'd also appreciate a wider kerning for the "Blues" text on the roundel. Jerseys are solid designs, though.

• 2 years later...

MJHL fan late to the party here. I stumbled upon these and I think they are awesome. In a league where a lot of logos look cartoony or like they were cobbled together in Microsoft Word, these would be a huge step forward in professionalizing the league's appearance and presentation. 

I'm a Winnipeg guy and I'm a fan of the Winnipeg teams, I try to make it out at least a few times a year to support the Blues and the Freeze. The Blues have a new set that is OK but a little underwhelming. But the Freeze jerseys that they use right now just looks like a rush job which I am assuming it was. The template is OK but the current wordmark logo flat out sucks. I really like what the OP has done with the Freeze template but I'm not sold on the replacement logo... it looks a little too hallowe'eny or gimmicky for my liking. I respect the effort, it is not easy to come up with a compelling logo for a team named after a somewhat abstract concept, but I'm not sure this is quite it. 

I have to say, I love the retro jerseys... I started watching the MJHL in the late 80s and it would be a real trip to see those throwback Blues jerseys on the ice, ha.

Anyway, well done. These are great.