Tennessee Titans Uniform Discussion

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

Personally I think if you can have a logo showing some sort of motion (i.e. the flames flying from the back of the logo), it's going to look better on a helmet than a static logo, even if on its own it isn't as strong of a logo.

I like the Bucs ship logo more than the sword & flag, but I think the flag works better on the helmet. Same with the flying Elvis compared to a modernized Pat in the 3 point stance.

I agree with this, too. Though my issue with the thumback logo isn't so much with the logo itself but with its placement on the helmet. I can't find any immediate examples, but I feel as if the logo is too often applied inconsistently on the helmet. Sometimes its too far forward, as if to center the entire logo (circle T and flames) in the middle, and other times it looks like it's placed so that the circle T is the center with the flames stretching toward the back.

Or maybe I'm making it up. I just know that sometimes the helmet strikes me as off balance based up on the logo's placement. 

1 minute ago, gosioux76 said:

I agree with this, too. Though my issue with the thumback logo isn't so much with the logo itself but with its placement on the helmet. I can't find any immediate examples, but I feel as if the logo is too often applied inconsistently on the helmet. Sometimes its too far forward, as if to center the entire logo (circle T and flames) in the middle, and other times it looks like it's placed so that the circle T is the center with the flames stretching toward the back.

Or maybe I'm making it up. I just know that sometimes the helmet strikes me as off balance based up on the logo's placement. 

Could it have to do with the many different models of helmets? 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I have always liked the secondary sword & shield Tennessee Titans logo, but additionally must inquisitively inquire something I have always noticed, yet I have never seen addressed before: Why is the top star technically upside-down? At least the "thumbtack" aka fireball has the top star in a proper position. The stars within each logo really should be much more similar in both applications, not necessarily match per se — after all, there are obviously both color & dimensional differences between the two logos, which is fine — but a single star shouldn't appear to be placed upside-down in one version at the very least. Also as an aside, the way said logo currently stands, its three stars' points nearly meeting even forms a Mitsubishi logo (albeit an upside-down version) amid the negative space, just like the actual state flag does.

37 minutes ago, ⋔ 4 ℞ ℞ $ said:

I have always liked the secondary sword & shield Tennessee Titans logo, but additionally must inquisitively inquire something I have always noticed, yet I have never seen addressed before: Why is the top star technically upside-down? At least the "thumbtack" aka fireball has the top star in a proper position. The stars within each logo really should be much more similar in both applications, not necessarily match per se — after all, there are obviously both color & dimensional differences between the two logos, which is fine — but a single star shouldn't appear to be placed upside-down in one version at the very least. Also as an aside, the way said logo currently stands, its three stars' points nearly meeting even forms a Mitsubishi logo amid the negative space.

The upside down star on the sword logo can be explained by its inspiration from the Tennessee flag. It's not an exact match, but you can see the similar layout:

Tennessee State Flags | 100% Made in USA | Flags USA

As for the fireball logo, I can only assume that the logo looked and balanced out better with the star right side up. The layout of the stars is different in both logos. In the sword, a point of each star points to the center, in the fireball, its a gap between two points. 

1053.png

1056.png

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

@GFB had a fantastic critique of the sword: 

And if the second perspective is the accepted view, then the outline should be thickest at the bottom of the logo because that is the part that is closest to the viewer. But nope, of course that's the thinnest part of the outline and results in this really stupid optical illusion.

A good point (NPI) about the sword.

On 3/19/2021 at 11:49 AM, henburg said:

Well-said. The flaming thumbtack is not my favorite logo by any means, but if there's anywhere that it actually works well, it's on a helmet where it's dynamic shape compliments the motion of the helmet.

I don't mind the thumbtack logo at all, and I do think it works very well on the helmet...or I should say it looks good on a WHITE helmet.

I think the titans are just close with the current look. A white Helmet served them better than their current navy one does, and there's a lot of elements of the current looks that i really like. And I love the old, but it was time for an upgrade, definitely. I think they're some tweaks away but its close. The thumbtack logo is their best logo in the set, and I dont think its even that bad honestly. My only critique is the high amount of red when its virtually nonexistent in the uniforms. Either a dash of red (that's not Kevin Byard's gloves) or swithc the logo coloring around a tad.(more silver)

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

On 3/19/2021 at 4:32 PM, SSmith48 said:

The upside down star on the sword logo can be explained by its inspiration from the Tennessee flag. It's not an exact match, but you can see the similar layout:

Tennessee State Flags | 100% Made in USA | Flags USA

As for the fireball logo, I can only assume that the logo looked and balanced out better with the star right side up. The layout of the stars is different in both logos. In the sword, a point of each star points to the center, in the fireball, its a gap between two points. 

1053.png

1056.png

If they turned the T-sword upside-down, it would look a bit like the old Oilers derrick.

48 minutes ago, flyersfan said:

I think the titans are just close with the current look. A white Helmet served them better than their current navy one does, and there's a lot of elements of the current looks that i really like. And I love the old, but it was time for an upgrade, definitely. I think they're some tweaks away but its close. The thumbtack logo is their best logo in the set, and I dont think its even that bad honestly. My only critique is the high amount of red when its virtually nonexistent in the uniforms. Either a dash of red (that's not Kevin Byard's gloves) or swithc the logo coloring around a tad.(more silver)

There is a lot of colors at play in their current uniforms (6 if I’m counting correctly). And red not being a big part of it makes the obnoxious amount of red accessories worn by players even more annoying. I don’t think red is a bad part of their color scheme, but they need to drop a color so it looks more appropriate. Personally, I think they need to focus more on the double blue color scheme. Navy and light blue look really good together.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

21 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

There is a lot of colors at play in their current uniforms (6 if I’m counting correctly). And red not being a big part of it makes the obnoxious amount of red accessories worn by players even more annoying. I don’t think red is a bad part of their color scheme, but they need to drop a color so it looks more appropriate. Personally, I think they need to focus more on the double blue color scheme. Navy and light blue look really good together.

I concur. 

I remember when the then-new uniforms came out, I went down to the Pro Shop at Nissan Stadium to check them out in person, and shot this photo...

tqzYHoa.jpg

...that right there tells much of the story by itself.

Notice how much "brighter" the former ones seem compared to the newer ones? That's largely due to all the unnecessary gray. On that one jersey alone are five colors, all jockeying for attention--two grays, two blues, and white (we won't count the little bit of red made by the Swoosh, which itself is utterly unnecessary). On the older one, we see just three. Also, for those curious, if you study the NOBs, you can see the effect of outlining as opposed to going single-layer...its not something you notice until someone points it out. It's much more noticeable on something small like NOBs.

But anyway, the newer jerseys are a prime example of the 2010s Nike era of "doin' too much" (see Buccaneers and Browns of that same era for more examples--along with, depending on who you talk to, the Jaguars of that same period). Now it seems the trend has shifted the other way to stripped-down simplistic (which may also be what happens when you run out of "forward-thinking creative ideas). Not necessarily a bad thing, but it can lead to rather uninspiring (like the current Jaguars' sets).

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

How about we start a separate thread in the other forum to bandy about how the Titans should look?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I 100% agree that they should embrace the double blue over the sword branding, but my point was more about how I want them to have some consistency and for it all to fit together, because right now they look like a sum of small parts instead of one solid identity.

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

As a Titans fan, here are my thoughts on their current look/branding.

I like the current set over the old set but not by much. The current set is better because of the navy helmet and the numerals are definitely an improvement over the last set. The numerals in the old set killed the entire thing as they didn't match the wordmark at all. After seeing the Titans with a colored helmet, it's hard to see them going back to white.

The current set is actually close to being fairly strong but it's totally misused. The navy monochrome isn't a good look but anytime they mix colors, it tends to look good. I actually wouldn't mind if the Titans went with the white top/navy pants for all games. It looked so great in the 2019/2020 playoff run.

Here is how I'd fix the Titans.

-Emphasize much more of the columbia blue. Helmet should be columbia blue. Columbia blue should be the home jersey with solid navy numerals matching the wordmark, navy pants.

-Greek meander pattern. It's a crime this wasn't used in the rebrand given its usage on the team's social media before the redesign. It should be a huge pattern on the sleeves, helmet stripe and pant stripes.

- Use absolutely no white with the excpetion of the actual road jersey.

19 hours ago, Rebuy said:

-Emphasize much more of the columbia blue. Helmet should be columbia blue. Columbia blue should be the home jersey with solid navy numerals matching the wordmark, navy pants.

-Greek meander pattern. It's a crime this wasn't used in the rebrand given its usage on the team's social media before the redesign. It should be a huge pattern on the sleeves, helmet stripe and pant stripes.

satisfied thats exactly what i wanted GIF by Showtime  

Agreed. Titans should adopt a Greek theme.

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

On 3/24/2021 at 6:33 PM, Rebuy said:

IMO, the new columbia jersey does not look good with navy numbers.  The old one with white numbers looked much better.

I think the only way a Columbia blue helmet works is if the blue if the darkest color in the helmet, like UNC using a blue shell with a white monogram on it. Everything else makes the shell look 'plastic' or oversaturated in a weird way, if that makes any sense. Every Columbia blue helmet with other, darker colorsike navy or red in the logo feels garish.

44 minutes ago, schlim said:

I think the only way a Columbia blue helmet works is if the blue if the darkest color in the helmet, like UNC using a blue shell with a white monogram on it. Everything else makes the shell look 'plastic' or oversaturated in a weird way, if that makes any sense. Every Columbia blue helmet with other, darker colorsike navy or red in the logo feels garish.

I’d hope the helmet would look plastic since that’s what it’s made out of.

Archived