What Could’ve Been: Our First Look at the Cancelled Under Armour MLB Jersey

What Could’ve Been: Our First Look at the Cancelled Under Armour MLB Jersey

March 23, 2021 - 00:16 AM

A glimpse of an alternate baseball jersey universe has been found in San Diego. Thanks to Twitter user @justintyre, we’ve gotten our first-ever look at what Major League Baseball teams might have looked like had Under Armour taken over the on-field uniform contract for 2020, as had originally been the

Read More...

I don't know that this means a lot for what the whole league would have looked like, but that Padres jersey isn't great. The two identical one-color logos on the left chest and left sleeve? I certainly like the way the Padres turned out better than that.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

That mesh does look weird, but I guess you have to consider whether it has a functional appeal for players that outweighs aesthetics. 

But even so, it still doesn't excuse having the SD logo on both the left sleeve and left chest. The UA logo also looks far more awkward than the Swoosh does for some reason. 

1 hour ago, phutmasterflex said:

I would like to know if a player wore a dark undershirt how much of that shirt would be seen from the mesh? What if that shirt some print on it? Would that be seen?

Probably.  And the cynic in me thinks that Under Armour would have come out with a line of undershirts that featured their logo on the back, placed where it could be seen through the mesh around the NOB and number.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

spacer.png

We've heard that nonsense before. 

I guess it’s just my way of saying that, since  I’m not a professional athlete, and I’m guessing you aren’t either, that I can’t assume something like this wouldn’t be preferable for someone who actually understands the rigors of the game.

10 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I guess it’s just my way of saying that, since  I’m not a professional athlete, and I’m guessing you aren’t either, that I can’t assume something like this wouldn’t be preferable for someone who actually understands the rigors of the game.

It’s baseball, it’s not like they are running a marathon out there. Most of the time they are just standing around or sitting in the dugout. Training tops sure make that stuff out of the highest tech stuff possible, but the game requires so much less in terms of things like endurance having a vented back is Nonsensical

3 hours ago, dont care said:

It’s baseball, it’s not like they are running a marathon out there. Most of the time they are just standing around or sitting in the dugout. Training tops sure make that stuff out of the highest tech stuff possible, but the game requires so much less in terms of things like endurance having a vented back is Nonsensical

Don't mistake my comments as suggesting I'm endorsing the idea. It looks ridiculous. My point, which should've been clear, is that we make a lot of assumptions that the performance attributes of uniforms are nonsense with no knowledge of whether they do, indeed, make a difference. 

And feel free to go tell an outfielder attempting to sustain his concentration while standing in 90-degree heat to suck it up because he's not running a marathon. I can imagine that having a vented back -- as ridiculous as it may look -- might be appealing on days like that. But again, I can only imagine -- because I'm not a pro baseball player. 

1 hour ago, stumpygremlin said:

So why exactly did the UA deal fall through and Nike have to step in?

I think UA pulled out because of financial issues.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Don't mistake my comments as suggesting I'm endorsing the idea. It looks ridiculous. My point, which should've been clear, is that we make a lot of assumptions that the performance attributes of uniforms are nonsense with no knowledge of whether they do, indeed, make a difference. 

And feel free to go tell an outfielder attempting to sustain his concentration while standing in 90-degree heat to suck it up because he's not running a marathon. I can imagine that having a vented back -- as ridiculous as it may look -- might be appealing on days like that. But again, I can only imagine -- because I'm not a pro baseball player. 

I didn’t play pro ball, but I did play up until high school in Florida. You barely break a sweat in the 15 minutes on the field, and they are going to shaded dugouts every inning which is more than we had which was just a bench along the baseline. A vented back isn’t necessary and wouldn’t make a difference.

On 3/24/2021 at 8:35 AM, BBTV said:

I think UA pulled out because of financial issues.

It's a shame that UA is falling out of the sports market. It's my favorite of the big 3 brands (Nike, UA, Adidas) and I think it's wildly underrated in the athletic wear culture

SqZ68qe.png

tL45BrE.png

Archived