Los Angeles Sparks New Logo

MellowTheMyth

The font's a bit bland (the loss of italics is the big thing here), but the overall design is nice. I always liked the mint green/teal so I wish it was still a tertiary color. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

It’s very meh. I’d rather they keep the lakers lite logo, this just feels even more generic because literally any coastal team in the southern US could take that logo and recolor it and use it as an alternate. It doesn’t say sparks to me, and doesn’t even say LA to me.

10 minutes ago, dont care said:

It’s very meh. I’d rather they keep the lakers lite logo, this just feels even more generic because literally any coastal team in the southern US could take that logo and recolor it and use it as an alternate. It doesn’t say sparks to me, and doesn’t even say LA to me.

And more roundels... 

2 minutes ago, sayahh said:

And more roundels... 

I presume this is due to how WNBA team logos in recent years have either been relegated to the lapel or have to share space with a number and a sponsor logo on the front. The roundel probably fills the space more efficiently than a more elongated traditional logo. 

The new Seattle Storm logo isn't exactly a roundel, but essentially serves a similar purpose. 

I always wished that the palm tree in their secondary logo (the basis for the new primary) used the spark burst at its center, like in the old primary.  That was an elegant way to tie together the nickname and location.  The sans-spark palm tree conveys LA Basketball Team, but has no connection to the Sparks name.  I know that an effective sports logo doesn't always have to be a literal representation of the nickname, it just seems in this case like they could include that spark so easily.  We already know it would work, because they themselves have shown us.

5021_los_angeles_sparks-primary_on_dark-

20 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I presume this is due to how WNBA team logos in recent years have either been relegated to the lapel or have to share space with a number and a sponsor logo on the front. The roundel probably fills the space more efficiently than a more elongated traditional logo. 

The new Seattle Storm logo isn't exactly a roundel, but essentially serves a similar purpose. 

The logo will be centered on the front of the jersey with sponsors above and below it. Which is pretty disappointing. 

Sparks' WNBA championship aspirations could come down to rebounding - Los  Angeles Times

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

They should have kept the teal imo.  I know they are gonna be thought of as the W Lakers essentially regardless but the extra color gave them more personality

Logo itself it boring but whatever.  This league just can't seem to keep itself away from mediocre and forgettable identities

3 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

Are these practice jerseys? Can't be the real deal, right?

Those have been the jerseys for the past few seasons.  All the teams will be getting new uniforms this offseason, but I don't imagine they'll have any fewer ads on them.

Am I the only person who thinks this is an upgrade? The teal was a relic of the past and the logo needed an upgrade. While I do wish they would separate themselves a bit more from the Lakers, I think this is a step in the right direction while keeping the main identity intake. This is a great professional looking logo. My only tweak would be swapping the basketball for a spark. If you had to have a third color I think powder blue is better than teal. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

On 3/24/2021 at 1:30 PM, WSU151 said:

The font's a bit bland (the loss of italics is the big thing here), but the overall design is nice. I always liked the mint green/teal so I wish it was still a tertiary color. 

On 3/25/2021 at 3:10 PM, Lana_del_Bae said:

They should have kept the teal imo.  I know they are gonna be thought of as the W Lakers essentially regardless but the extra color gave them more personality

Logo itself it boring but whatever.  This league just can't seem to keep itself away from mediocre and forgettable identities

According to the press release on the site,

In addition, the color teal will remain in alternate versions of the logo and icon, and the previous primary logo will still be featured as a legacy logo.

So teal apparently isn't totally gone will just be relegated to other versions. 

Parsons is my dude.

On 3/25/2021 at 4:10 PM, Lana_del_Bae said:

This league just can't seem to keep itself away from mediocre and forgettable identities

I agree they should have kept that teal color.  But to be honest, I always thought of the teal here as more of an "aqua," which gave their logo and identity sort of a "beach" vibe.  Even the purple shape in the old logo looks like a surfboard.  Put all of that together with the palm tree and you've got a cool summery / beach-themed logo that maybe needed some tweaking or updating, but they new logo they came up with is boring and lifeless.

And the league itself is even more mediocre and forgettable than its teams' mediocre and forgettable identities.

Archived