NHL Reverse Retro Whiteout/Blackout 32/32 Capitals

johne9109

So for this series I was going to do a look at what Reverse Retro could look like next year if it continued and I still may do that, but as I was looking at possibilities I realized that some teams don't have very many options. So I thought ti myself what if they added different twists in future years. So I came up with the idea of Reverse Retro with the twist of blackout or whiteout designs. This opens up to the line easily going for 2 year; some teams have white one year and then black the next and vice versa. I tried to take traditionally white jerseys and make them the blackout and traditionally dark jerseys and make them the whiteout. As always feedback and constructive criticism is welcomed. 

Anaheim Ducks
Arizona Coyotes
Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Calgary Flames
Carolina Hurricanes
Chicago Blackhawks
Colorado Avalanche
Columbus Blue Jackets
Dallas Stars
Detroit Red Wings
Edmonton Oilers
Florida Panthers
Los Angeles Kings
Minnesota Wild
Montreal Canadiens
Nashville Predators
New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Ottawa Senators
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
San Jose Sharks
St. Louis Blues
Seattle Kraken
Tampa Bay Lightning
Toronto Maple Leafs
Vancouver Canucks
Vegas Golden Knights
Washington Capitals
Winnipeg Jets

ZUH86xc.png

So let's start with the Anaheim Ducks

Blackout

spacer.png

For the blackout I took the alternate uniform from 2015-2017 (I know not very retro) and moved the orange to a secondary color. I also took out all white and replaced it with gold; I think this creates a very unique look for the Ducks

Whiteout

spacer.png

The whiteout takes their uniform from 1993-2006 and to make it really a white out I removed the big block of color from the bottom of the sleeves and the main part of the jersey. The jade pants also get swapped out for white

ZUH86xc.png

Arizona Coyotes

Blackout

spacer.png

With the Coyotes more than likely going back to the kachina look I decided why not take the more current look, albeit it's first iteration, and make that the blackout. The removal of the white and tan really gives it a unique look.

Whiteout

spacer.png

For the whiteout I took the alternate from 2008-2014 and removed all black and moved the colors around a bit. I did introduce a darker shade of maroon to help the striping stand out a bit more. Man was the striping on the jersey really hard to do and I still didn't get it down, but I did the best I could

ZUH86xc.png

Boston Bruins

Blackout

spacer.png

This is the one that gave me the idea for the whole series. When looking at possibilities for another Bruins Reverse Retro. I came up with this idea and went from there. So I went and took the Bruins yellow jersey from the early '40's and swapped black for the main color. I like the way this one turned out and think this could always be a possibility for them for a retro jersey even in the original yellow

Whiteout

spacer.png

I'm not as crazy about the white, but I think it's decent. With Black being a predominant color for the Bruins it's hard to come up with a good looking white out uniform for them. I took the Bruins previous alternate and swapped brown for black so that it's not just a white and yellow uniform which would have looked truly horrible

ZUH86xc.png

Buffalo Sabres

Blackout

spacer.png

I took the 2000's alternate design and removed all white and silver and main red the secondary color. I think this creates a nice unique look

Whiteout

spacer.png

We stay in the same era for the white out, but this time we use the teams current colors. I like the blue and yellow more for the Sabres and think it works really well with the white

ZUH86xc.png

Calgary Flames

Blackout

spacer.png

For the blackout we just a few years back for the teams red script alternate The flames have always worked with black uniforms as does this design

Whiteout

spacer.png

The whiteout takes the Flames uniforms from the mid to late '90's and removes all traces of black this go around. The flames colors also really work for the whiteout uniform

ZUH86xc.png

Carolina Hurricanes

Blackout

spacer.png

The teams original jersey gets the blackout treatment here. I see why Carolina tends to go to the Whalers for retro stuff; the Hurricanes haven't changed their look a whole lot and don't have much to throwback to.

Whiteout

spacer.png

With that being said I too go to the whalers for the teams whiteout uniform. Specifically, the Whalers final uniforms. 

ZUH86xc.png

• 2 weeks later...

Chicago Blackhawks

Blackout

spacer.png

Essentially just their current design that they've had for years, but I think it works well in black

Whiteout

spacer.png

For the whiteout I took the black jersey from the '40's and gave it the whiteout treatment. I really like this one

ZUH86xc.png

Colorado Avalanche

Blackout

spacer.png

For the blackout I went for a Colorado Rockies tribute/riff on their current alternate. I'm not a huge fan of this design in general, but I think it works for a blackout and freshens up the look a bit

Whiteout

spacer.png

For the whiteout I took a previous alternate and gave it the whiteout treatment. I truly despise the look that this is inspired from, but I do like the way it is in the whiteout. I wouldn't mind seeing Colorado take this jersey and use it as a future alternate

ZUH86xc.png

All of the white jerseys are pretty good. I especially like the Ducks, Flames, and Avs. 

But some of the black jerseys would just be abysmal from more than 20 feet away. The Coyotes would look like plain black jerseys from the stands. Need contrast and legibility. One-color dark material on black jerseys is not what anyone wants. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Columbus Blue Jackets

Blackout

spacer.png

This takes their original uniform and makes it into the black out format. I replaced white with a silver to keep white out of the black out uniform

Whiteout

spacer.png

For the whiteout I took the teams original third jersey (which would evolve into their current jerseys) I think this gets a decent look that would have it stand out from their current uniforms

ZUH86xc.png

Dallas Stars

Blackout

spacer.png

For both of the Stars uniforms here I didn't really reach far back because I immediately had two really interesting ideas for them. The first is taking their winter classic gear and giving it the blackout treatment

Whiteout

spacer.png

Then there's this monstrosity. You thought the black neon uniform was an eyesore; take a look at this. I don't expect this to get a lot of love, but I think this would be an interesting look for at least a season. 

ZUH86xc.png

Detroit Red Wings

Blackout

spacer.png

I like the way this one came out. The Redwings 2016 stadium series gets the black out treatment here and I think this would be a great uniform for Detroit to actually adapt

Whiteout

spacer.png

The 2014 winter classic is the basis for the whiteout and I think this is would be another great uniform for Detroit. Really like how both of these came out

ZUH86xc.png

Edmonton Oilers

Blackout

spacer.png

For the blackout I went back to the teams WHA days and used their original jersey as inspiration while also using their colored logo from the mid '70's

Whiteout

spacer.png

Their whiteout is basically their third uniform but swapping almost all of the navy blue for white. Again the colored logo looks great on this uniform

ZUH86xc.png

Florida Panthers

Blackout

spacer.png

Even though the Panthers have had some of the best looks in the league; they're still kind of limited. This seemed like the obvious choice to me for a black out. What throws it off to me is the blue, but. had a hard time finding an alternative

Whiteout

spacer.png

This was the perfect opportunity to fix the worst uniform in Panthers history. I don't know what they were thinking with the original baby blue uniforms this is based off of, but man did they suck. Changing the colors to the teams red and yellow however, make this a actual decent looking set. That just goes to show it was the design choices, but the color choices that completely ruined these originally

ZUH86xc.png

LA Kings

Blackout

spacer.png

So the Kings are a hard one for this series as their uniforms either predominant feature black and white or don't feature much color variation. So for both the blackout and whiteout uniforms I chose the uniforms from the '80's with the unique striping on the sleeves

Whiteout

spacer.png

What's nice about these two uniforms is they feature unique takes on the logo that removes either black and white depending on the uniform

ZUH86xc.png

Minnesota Wild

Blackout

spacer.png

So I've never been a fan of the red in the Wild's color scheme especially when it's the primary color. So i took the abysmal alternate uniform from the early 2000's and made the red a secondary color. I also lightened up the wheat color to a more vibrant yellow to stand out against the black

Whiteout

spacer.png

The whiteout takes the Wild's other alternate uniform and replaces the wheat with white and makes green the secondary color

ZUH86xc.png

Archived