Products you bought just because you liked the branding design

DCarp1231

18 hours ago, Chromatic said:

I'm not sure if comics really count, as the art is arguably the biggest part of the product, not really the "branding".

Hard disagree.

Cerebus is an acquired taste (and the run went off the deep end toward the end), but what is this if not effective branding?

lnzohvznyhyn.jpg

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Hard disagree.

Cerebus is an acquired taste (and the run went off the deep end toward the end), but what is this if not effective branding?

lnzohvznyhyn.jpg

To me saying buying a comic book because of the art is buying it for the "branding" is the equivalent of saying buying a soft drink for the taste as opposed to the packaging or a sweater for the comfort as opposed to the design is buying it for the "branding".

The "branding" of a comic book is the art, the typeface, etc. And since those are the features that distinguish comic books from other media I would argue you can't separate the branding from the consumption of the product itself in the same way you can with things like a soft drink because you like the label. And since the entire point of this site is aesthetics, the delineation between a product sold for its aesthetic appeal and its "branding" is next to impossible to tell.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Chromatic said:

To me saying buying a comic book because of the art is buying it for the "branding" is the equivalent of saying buying a soft drink for the taste as opposed to the packaging or a sweater for the comfort as opposed to the design is buying it for the "branding".

The "branding" of a comic book is the art, the typeface, etc. And since those are the features that distinguish comic books from other media I would argue you can't separate the branding from the consumption of the product itself in the same way you can with things like a soft drink because you like the label. And since the entire point of this site is aesthetics, the delineation between a product sold for its aesthetic appeal and its "branding" is next to impossible to tell.

Say you buy the comic book for the cover art, put it in a sleeve, and hang it up somewhere to admire. Which some people do. Then what? At that point, you bought the product strictly for the brand design and nothing else.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Say you buy the comic book for the cover art, put it in a sleeve, and hang it up somewhere to admire. Which some people do. Then what? At that point, you bought the product strictly for the brand design and nothing else.

So buying a painting you like is just buying it for the branding?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

So buying a painting you like is just buying it for the branding?

I’d argue that a painting is different. With comic books, there’s more than just the art.

Say you buy a 12 pack of beer because the packaging looked great, but you ended up liking the beer. Same deal with a comic book. You buy the book for the cover art, but end up reading it and actually liking it.

On 4/11/2021 at 6:40 PM, monkeypower said:

MoxieProducts_Lead.jpg

I was sucked in by the branding and the regionality of it. Probably one of the worst things I have ever tasted.

This stuff tastes like they bottled original listerine, the brown stuff, and sold it as their own stuff. I also bought a bottle once, because I really loved the branding and bottle cap. It’s terrible tho...

3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

spacer.png

This stuff is amazing! Being natural is a big plus too. 

• Like 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

15 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I’d argue that a painting is different. With comic books, there’s more than just the art.

Say you buy a 12 pack of beer because the packaging looked great, but you ended up liking the beer. Same deal with a comic book. You buy the book for the cover art, but end up reading it and actually liking it.

This is where we disagree. I think the artwork of the comic is as much, if not the most important aspect of it. If it were a novel and you liked the cover art sure, but the distinguishing feature of comics is the art.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chromatic said:

This is where we disagree. I think the artwork of the comic is as much, if not the most important aspect of it. If it were a novel and you liked the cover art sure, but the distinguishing feature of comics is the art.

Artwork vs spine design are two very different things though. The Cerebus design I posted above is a clear aesthetic choice by the publisher (who also happens to be the artist), but this isn't unique to that series.

Here's another example -- is this the art? Or is it branding?

_20170814_093426.JPG

Here's an even better one:

maxresdefault.jpg

In the comic collecting world (and presumably others), shelf appeal and aesthetics is a real thing. You might never crack open the book but want the product because of how it looks. I know I've been guilty of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

17 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Blue Sky is damn near the best soda I’ve ever had. Just behind Cheerwine

spacer.png

Those are the two best I’ve ever had! Being from Minnesota, I had never heard of Cheerwine until I spent the summer in Myrtle Beach. Amazing stuff. The only place I’ve ever been able to get it in Minnesota is a Lunds and Byerly’s. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 4/11/2021 at 7:40 PM, monkeypower said:

MoxieProducts_Lead.jpg

I was sucked in by the branding and the regionality of it. Probably one of the worst things I have ever tasted.

I just bought this maybe 5 minutes ago. That first smell you get... YEESH. Atrocious. Has a very dense black liquorice/licorice taste

On 4/4/2021 at 3:17 PM, CS85 said:

img_20180730_071008_085.jpg

Bones Coffee comes to mind.  I'm not a big flavored coffee fan, but I had a couple that were alright.  Unfortunately my wife then bought like 14 pounds of Bones Coffee for me that I have very little intention of drinking anytime soon, but their packaging is cool.

My wife found this stuff somehow, and she even saves the labels to display around the house. "Honey, why has the picture of us at the cabin been replaced by a maybe-problematic Jamaican skeleton coffee label?" The mugs are really high quality; if you can get them on sale, I highly recommend them. As far as the coffee, I drink anything from Starbucks to Bones to Great Value and don't really notice a difference.

On 4/11/2021 at 7:40 PM, monkeypower said:

MoxieProducts_Lead.jpg

Like drinking medicine. My uncle told me my great grandfather loved this stuff. So I tried it. Never again. 

iq5b7nF.png