New York Islanders "Clean-up" Concept

alecgoff

As a diehard Islanders fan, it's tough for me to admit that our logo, although iconic, is outdated and possibly flawed. I have since attempted to fix some of these issues. My update tried to find a balance with keeping the classic look and cleaning it up and bringing it into the 21st century. While still not perfect, I wanted to avoid a complete rebrand, which would likely yield better results.  

Final-NYILOGO.png

I figure updating the Isles' logo without it looking like a cheap knockoff will be extremely tricky, and I hate to say it but I'm not sure whether you're close to that sweet spot or not.  It's like it is, but also isn't, I guess.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I do agree that there is that fine line that I may have crossed. I have since made a few tweaks to reduce that "knock-off" feel, but it is still needing a little bit of work. I tried to add that nod to Belmont, but found it to be a little challenging, since the new rink will be right on the Nassau border. 

NYISLANDERSFINALFINALL.png

NYIFINALSTRETCH.png

I hadn't thought much about all the overlapping stuff in the real Islanders' logo before, but while comparing the two, I appreciate the changes in your take.

I like the font update a lot (definitely go with the bigger kerning) but I think the length of the hockey stick looked better in your first, if only because it was centered.

The latest update especially feels way too left-heavy, so maybe you could mess around with the NY and hockey stick to work on that.

Definitely subtle changes, but they make a difference. Plus I imagine it would a small enough change for folks to accept. Good job!

I understand and appreciate what you're doing, but the Isles' logo is an anomaly in sports. It's complex, has too many elements, has weird lettering, and is super cluttered, but for some reason it just works. I can't explain why, but the Islanders logo just feels right.

Your logo is kinda the inverse, where it sounds like it should work good on paper, and it does, but it doesn't work as well as the actual Isles logo. I think it'd work better if you kept the font vertical instead of making the logo a roundel.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/3/2021 at 10:24 PM, DTConcepts said:

I understand and appreciate what you're doing, but the Isles' logo is an anomaly in sports. It's complex, has too many elements, has weird lettering, and is super cluttered, but for some reason it just works. I can't explain why, but the Islanders logo just feels right.

Your logo is kinda the inverse, where it sounds like it should work good on paper, and it does, but it doesn't work as well as the actual Isles logo. I think it'd work better if you kept the font vertical instead of making the logo a roundel.

Agreed. It's like a relic of the 70's that just somehow scraped by, but it works. 

sig.png

Archived