USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

On 4/28/2022 at 1:12 PM, Brian in Boston said:

St. Louis - When I look at the Knights' new logo, the sword and St. Louis Arch elements combine to form a stylized Norman helmet.   

I caught this, too. And if intentional, it's clever. But I’m bothered by the arch having something of a peak created by the sword. It almost looks like the beginning of a wishbone. This also gives the overall shape of the logo something of an igloo shape, or of the sort of bell you'd see at a hotel front desk.

Proportionately, I don't think it works as a helmet logo. One suggestion: use this as a secondary sleeve logo, with the Scottish Claymores design on the helmet. They would play well as variants of each other and give your overall logo package more depth and versatility. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Gearing up for the 1999 USFL Season, which means that the new uniform manufacturer for the 2000 season, Reebok, is going to start revealing the clubs that will get new looks when they take over uni design for 2000.  For 1999 it was Pittsburgh, Portland, and St. Louis.   Who will it be for 2000?

Well, we know Birmingham is getting a new look, postponed 1 year.   The question is which of these elements from real life will make it into the new Stallion look?

1.   Unused St. Louis Stallions logo?
  2.   Unused designs from 1997 Broncos overhaul?
  3.   St. Louis Stampede Arena Football league logo?
  4.   Milwaukee Mustangs influence?

One of those 4 will be key to the reimagined Stallions in 2000.

And I will hint at one other reimagined USFL franchise.   One of the other teams gets a brand new primary logo based on a very popular but somewhat short-lived Arena League team.  Not a new nickname (sorry VooDoo fans), but one USFL club is about to go "classic" with a logo very different from their original USFL look.    Can you guess who?

And a third club will join the Reebok Redo for 2000 as well, though perhaps not as dramatically.    Coming soon. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WideRight said:

Well, we know Birmingham is getting a new look, postponed 1 year.   The question is which of these elements from real life will make it into the new Stallion look?

1.   Unused St. Louis Stallions logo?
  2.   Unused designs from 1997 Broncos overhaul?
  3.   St. Louis Stampede Arena Football league logo?
  4.   Milwaukee Mustangs influence?

One of those 4 will be key to the reimagined Stallions in 2000.

Of those sources, I'd say there are some marks amongst the logos that graphic designer Rick Bakas provided to the Denver Broncos that could make for a dynamic new Birmingham Stallions look.

As for the other, I'd pass on all of them as inspiration. The St. Louis Stallions logo is an uninspired mess, the St. Louis Stampede mark strikes me as being akin to something a third-rate rock band would adopt, and the Milwaukee Mustangs emblem is a dated mediocrity.       

So, it would appear that the Birmingham Stallions' new identity package is going to be based on this mark that Rick Bakas submitted to the Denver Broncos...

spacer.png

Meanwhile, I'm of the mind that the Los Angeles Express is going to be sporting a new logo package inspired by that of the Arena Football League's Los Angeles Avengers.

spacer.png

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

So, it would appear that the Birmingham Stallions' new identity package is going to be based on this mark that Rick Bakas submitted to the Denver Broncos...

spacer.png

Meanwhile, I'm of the mind that the Los Angeles Express is going to be sporting a new logo package inspired by that of the Arena Football League's Los Angeles Avengers.

spacer.png

Nothing gets by you Brian.  Inspired (very heavily) but with some alterations of course.   I wrote to Rick Bakas via LInked In and hoping he gives me a green light to use a modified version of his design, since his is not an official logo from a real team I don't feel as comfortable using it without permission.   With actual logos from actual teams, I think it is fair game to say that instead of being used by this or that team IRL, if the USFL had survived the same logo would have ended up as a USFL logo.  Seems viable to me that this could happen.  

• Like 2

And, since Brian in Boston guessed it, here is the first look at a USFL 2000 logo change.  The new primary logo of the still-struggling Los Angeles Express, still trying to find an identity and build a winner in a market that has not embraced them.  

spacer.png

This will be paired with a new monogram "LA" logo.  I am toying with the idea of bringing back a red/orange color to add some contrast.  I like the twin blues, but it does make for something of a dull color scheme.   Think early 2000's Seattle Seahawks without any pop of neon lime green.    Uniforms coming soon. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

On 5/20/2022 at 11:41 AM, WideRight said:

And, since Brian in Boston guessed it, here is the first look at a USFL 2000 logo change.  The new primary logo of the still-struggling Los Angeles Express, still trying to find an identity and build a winner in a market that has not embraced them.  

spacer.png

This will be paired with a new monogram "LA" logo.  I am toying with the idea of bringing back a red/orange color to add some contrast.  I like the twin blues, but it does make for something of a dull color scheme.   Think early 2000's Seattle Seahawks without any pop of neon lime green.    Uniforms coming soon. 

Hmm… something doesn’t seem entirely right… Is this supposed to be Hermès? Because I don’t see how the former Avengers Logo would describe a Team called the Express. Maybe like a full body secondary that emphasizes movement? Like the previous logo?

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

1 hour ago, Blindsay said:

Hmm… something doesn’t seem entirely right… Is this supposed to be Hermès? Because I don’t see how the former Avengers Logo would describe a Team called the Express. Maybe like a full body secondary that emphasizes movement? Like the previous logo?

Yeah I agree here, what does a warrior like thingy have to do with a team called the Express? I personally think the UFL's Las Vegas Locos logo has some potential. 

• Like 1

xFUdNmt.png

4 hours ago, Blindsay said:

Is this supposed to be Hermès? Because I don’t see how the former Avengers Logo would describe a Team called the Express.

I always took the wing-like portion of the Arena Football League franchise’s logo to symbolize the feathered appendages of an “avenging angel”. As a result, I similarly thought that the wing-like portion of WideRight’s Los Angeles Express mark was meant to denote the winged helmet of a speedy “messenger deity” like Hermes or Mercury.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

I always took the wing-like portion of the Arena Football League franchise’s logo to symbolize the feathered appendages of an “avenging angel”. As a result, I similarly thought that the wing-like portion of WideRight’s Los Angeles Express mark was meant to denote the winged helmet of a speedy “messenger deity” like Hermes or Mercury.

Yeah that’s kinda what I thought

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

On 5/21/2022 at 10:46 PM, Brian in Boston said:

That's logical, but only from the perspective of trying to retrofit an existing logo to an existing name. If the exercise here is to somehow simulate the USFL as if it had continued, and the goal of the brand was to elicit winged helmet imagery a la Mercury, I'd have to think the designers could have come up with something a little more direct. 

Using logos from the leagues that weren't or might never have been created is certainly an understandable convenience, but if you have to do some mental gymnastics just to understand how the logo connects with the name, then it just doesn't work.

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

That's logical, but only from the perspective of trying to retrofit an existing logo to an existing name. If the exercise here is to somehow simulate the USFL as if it had continued, and the goal of the brand was to elicit winged helmet imagery a la Mercury, I'd have to think the designers could have come up with something a little more direct. 

Using logos from the leagues that weren't or might never have been created is certainly an understandable convenience, but if you have to do some mental gymnastics just to understand how the logo connects with the name, then it just doesn't work.

So maybe take the logo we have, put it on a sprinting body, holding Hermes’ Staff? Also Congrats to the 1998 Summer Bowl Champs Tampa Bay Bandits

spacer.pngspacer.png

I always viewd the Avengers' warrior as looking a lot like Hermes, so for me the connection seemed pretty direct.  However, I can certainly see how others might not view that figure as Hermes.  Perhaps I need to blend it a bit with my Athens Olympians logo (for a fantasy football team.   Seen here.  (Yes, the owner is a huge Dolphins fan, which explains the colors and the secondary logo having a very dolphinesque sun-hoop. 

spacer.png