USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

1 hour ago, WideRight said:

This website or the Alt History site?  

I am not seeing an issue with the Alt History "USFL Lives" Site, but let me know if you are. 

Meanwhile, I am gearing up for the 2006-2007 offseason and then the 25th season of USFL football in 2007.   To commemorate that anniversary, the USFL will have each team wearing a patch.  the 12 founding franchises will have a patch with their original 1983 logo in the center, while all other teams will have one with the league's "U" logo at the center.  Here are examples of the two.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'd love to see all of the original 12.

1 hour ago, WideRight said:

I am not seeing an issue with the Alt History "USFL Lives" Site, but let me know if you are. 

When I try to go to the last page on Newswire (i.e., the one that would show the earliest posts on the website), it just shows the most recent posts. Also, when I try to go to a specific page of Newswire (e.g., page 125),  it says “Check back soon    Once posts are published, you’ll see them here”.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Still working my way through the 2006-2007 USFL offseason, a lot happening with a few major player shifts, the NFL trying to gain the upper hand on QB signings, and a busy draft to wrap up.  So, that means the redesigns for 2008 are not ready yet, but I have this for everyone while we wait to jump into the 2007 season, the 2nd season with 26 clubs. 

Summer Bowl 2006 in the new Wrangler/Cardinal stadium in Glendale (U. of Phoenix Stadium)

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

After adding the new Memphis (USFL 2023) secondary to the Showboats look, more and more current day USFL elements are starting to make an appearance in the alt history.    Next up?  The Pittsburgh Maulers get a facelift in 2008. 

First up is the main logo, which brings in the Mauler from 2022 as well as the keystone from the 2022 secondary.  No black and gold, as the Maulers are already well established with a purple, orange and steel color scheme.  A secondary is on the way, as is a new helmet and new uniform set.  Not a radical departure for the hammer-head faithful, but a modernization from roid-rage Mauler to a more svelt hammer swinger. 

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Love 3

I understand the current iteration of the Maulers going to black and gold, but I don't care for it. That purple and orange is pretty unique in pro sports and stands out I think.

Anyway, just a quick postscript to say thanks for continually posting these, I've enjoyed the work and banter here alongside your website league updates.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Skycast said:

I understand the current iteration of the Maulers going to black and gold, but I don't care for it. That purple and orange is pretty unique in pro sports and stands out I think.

Anyway, just a quick postscript to say thanks for continually posting these, I've enjoyed the work and banter here alongside your website league updates.

I'd agree with this. I get why the IRL Maulers would make the change they did but I'm glad your version is staying as-is. It's a really underrated color combo that the Maulers did- and you do- use well.  Framing the logo inside a Keystone is a great idea in my opinion. Awesome work as usual!

Sportslogo-Forum-Signature-2.png

19 minutes ago, Skycast said:

You could meet halfway and do a dark purple primary with a yellowish orange secondary....

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

On 6/1/2023 at 12:58 PM, WideRight said:

And here are the secondary, a very Mauler Jolly Roger, and the helmet, now with a simplified (2022-style) stripe.  Full Uni soon. 

spacer.png 

My eye goes to the negative space between the helmet and hammers, which makes sort of a pentagon shape. I'd love it if it somehow could be adjusted into a keystone shape. Not sure it's possible, but it would be cool. 

• Like 2

Sorry it took so long to post the full 2008 Pittsburgh Mauler look.  I am traveling a bit, so my internet and access to my files is not as constant as I would like.  Here is the 2008 Mauler uniform with the new logos.   Some influence of 2022 USFL here, but also of the Buccaneers' look from the mid-2010's.  

spacer.png

• Like 6

All the Newswire pages past page 100 on the Wix website seem to not be loading properly. I currently can’t seem to access anything after 1988 Week 11 but before 1992 Week 7 (and when I refreshed the 1988 Week 11 Standings, it went blank despite having worked fine before).

Edit: 1988 Week 11 Standings is working fine again. Maybe I just had too many tabs open.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all. Just getting read to gear up for the simulation of the 2008 USFL season (Alt History).    I will soon be revealing the new looks for 3 franchises (Tampa Bay, Denver, and a third team I have not decided yet) but first here are the Summer Bowl logos for the 2008 Summer Bowl in Jacksonville.  

This logo borrows heavily from the "Explore Downtown Jacksonville" logo found here.  I figured the city's tourism offices would be involved in a logo design, so it makes sense to merge the two.  Note the addition of the football shape and the sun, as well as a retro font and summery color scheme. 

spacer.png

First up for uniform reveals will be the 2009 Bandits, followed by the Gold, and then which ever team I think will be #3 (Still undecided). 

If anyone has ideas on a team that needs a facelift, let me know (you can see all the current designs on the Alt History website. 

• Like 4

The first of the 2009 Reebok Redesigns is ready.  

The Denver Gold make several changes to their look, without deviating too far from a design that has become iconic in the region.   Details below. 

spacer.png

Denver makes several "minor" or is it "miner" changes to their look, including:

1. Removing the simple helmet stripe and replacing it with two tapered dual-gold "starburst" designs. 

2. Adding a gold on gold bevel effect to the team numbers. 

3. Adding a secondary logo (yup, they beat the Nuggets to it.)

4. Adding black sleeves on the white jersey.  

5. Using the new starburst wordmark on the chest. 

Nothing radical, just an update.  Next up is Tampa Bay, who also go with modest changes, though with one very controversial (and instantly mocked) new feature. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Applause 1