USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

2 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I really like the updated Stars word mark, but I’ve always hated that helmet treatment. The word “stars” on it has always seemed unnecessary. That it’s sideways is even worse.

You’ve already straightened the alignment of the star in the word mark. I’d do the same in the helmet logo and drop the word “stars.” I’d also make the three stars bigger to cover more area and give the impression they’re fading toward the back of the helmet.

There will be a later adjustment in the 2000's, so you may get your wish.

And, after much consideration I decided I did not really care for the Titans-Bombers mashup for the NFL 95 expansion franchise.  So, something totally different.

When the Oilers first moved to Memphis there was a grass roots movement to rename the team the Tennessee Copperheads.  They had helmet mockups, even jerseys.  They went to Oilers games in  Memphis to get signatures, and had a real movement going . But either Bud Adams or NFL Properties insisted that a snake-themed franchise would not have broad appeal. 

Let's say that is not the case, and with a groundswell of popular support, the NFL and its new Tennessee owner do opt for the Copperheads.  So, what I have created here is a mashup of a few different designs.

• Jacksonville Jaguars (Black helmet with the animal head formed from color blocks on the black background)
  • Baltimore Bombers jersey style, which is similar to the first Titans uniform with the tapered shoulder yokes.
  • Original Copperheads colors, which were mostly green and copper orange, with a bit of red. 
  • Texas Copperheads logo from Arena Football 2
  • Included the shape of Tennessee as part of the wordmark.

And, so there you have it, a totally new 1995 Expansion team that borrows from the Titans, Bombers, Jaguars, and arena football.  I think this is much better and feels like it could be very 1990's, at least in colors. 

And, yes, I am aware that having a team called Copperheads and not having a copper helmet seems weird, but the kind of weird the NFL would absolutely do.  Maybe in the mid 2000's they will do the 2-color helmet thing like the Jags did and fans will hate it just as much. 

spacer.png

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, WideRight said:

And, after much consideration I decided I did not really care for the Titans-Bombers mashup for the NFL 95 expansion franchise.  So, something totally different.

When the Oilers first moved to Memphis there was a grass roots movement to rename the team the Tennessee Copperheads.  They had helmet mockups, even jerseys.  They went to Oilers games in  Memphis to get signatures, and had a real movement going . But either Bud Adams or NFL Properties insisted that a snake-themed franchise would not have broad appeal. 

Let's say that is not the case, and with a groundswell of popular support, the NFL and its new Tennessee owner do opt for the Copperheads.  So, what I have created here is a mashup of a few different designs.

• Jacksonville Jaguars (Black helmet with the animal head formed from color blocks on the black background)
  • Baltimore Bombers jersey style, which is similar to the first Titans uniform with the tapered shoulder yokes.
  • Original Copperheads colors, which were mostly green and copper orange, with a bit of red. 

And, so there you have it, a totally new 1995 Expansion team that borrows from the Titans, Bombers, Jaguars, and arena football.  I think this is much better and feels like it could be very 1990's, at least in colors. 

And, yes, I am aware that having a team called Copperheads and not having a copper helmet seems weird, but the kind of weird the NFL would absolutely do.  Maybe in the mid 2000's they will do the 2-color helmet thing like the Jags did and fans will hate it just as much. 

spacer.png

I absolutely love this. I wonder how it might look with a helmet inspired by the original Jaguars concept that used the wraparound Jaguar. You could keep the black helmet, but make use of the snake’s length to give it that wraparound style, similar to the USFL Jacksonville Bulls. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ralphz said:

Very nice. The '95 Memphis Houndogs design used copper and green, I don't know if you knew that. Nice merger of a few different influences. Houndogs.thumb.jpg.31851d8e5ac4f48f273299e83140d093.jpg

That was a team that I was hoping would sneak into one of these leagues.. but just like in real life. It wouldn’t have lasted the test the time haha

Absolutely love the copperheads .. everything except the wordmark but I understand why it’s like that 

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League

17 hours ago, WideRight said:

spacer.png

As a Titans fan, this looks great lol! (Actually would have been a Houston Oilers fan had they never moved, since that was my parents team)

• Like 1

xFUdNmt.png

16 hours ago, ralphz said:

Very nice. The '95 Memphis Houndogs design used copper and green, I don't know if you knew that. Nice merger of a few different influences. 

I had completely forgotten about that color scheme.  Guess  my subconscious might have still had it connected with TN.  So, count that as another link between the design and real life teams/bids. 

Next up... we reveal the 2 additional USFL expansion clubs and then the LA Express and Atlanta Fire uniforms. 

• Like 3

+1 on Columbus as long as it's not the Rage, that logo and mascot screams minor league baseball imo. Columbus would be cool with an Aviation based identity, maybe the Skyhawks from the WFL or the old Barnstormers identity from the AFL (a brand that definitely shouldn't go to waste).

Barnstormers or the Centurion logo that was proposed for ATL. The Scarlet and silver scheme fits in Columbus anyway. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, qckgnc said:

+1 on Columbus as long as it's not the Rage, that logo and mascot screams minor league baseball imo. Columbus would be cool with an Aviation based identity, maybe the Skyhawks from the WFL or the old Barnstormers identity from the AFL (a brand that definitely shouldn't go to waste).

Barnstormers or the Centurion logo that was proposed for ATL. The Scarlet and silver scheme fits in Columbus anyway. 

Haha and I’m rooting for the Columbus Rage! 

• Like 1

6on7h5.jpg

I think some of you are going to be disappointed by how unimaginative I am being with expansion in this case.   Here are some t-shirts which were shipping out to K-Marts in July of 1993 just before the official expansion announcement was made.  As I said at the onset, where there is a precedent (a real team in that location) I will often try to use that as it ties things together a bit more than just creating entire identities out of thin air.  

spacer.png

• Like 5

2 hours ago, WideRight said:

I think some of you are going to be disappointed by how unimaginative I am being with expansion in this case.   Here are some t-shirts which were shipping out to K-Marts in July of 1993 just before the official expansion announcement was made.  As I said at the onset, where there is a precedent (a real team in that location) I will often try to use that as it ties things together a bit more than just creating entire identities out of thin air.  

spacer.png

Yeah, had a feeling that was coming for Columbus. Wonder what the other expansion team will be. 

xFUdNmt.png

39 minutes ago, Kooky01 said:

Yeah, had a feeling that was coming for Columbus. Wonder what the other expansion team will be. 

The last of the 4 is the most distant from reality.   Atlanta Fire being the WLAF  Birmingham Fire.  Ohio Glory being the WLAF team,  LA Express being a return to a USFL identity, but St. Louis Knights being a version of the NY/NJ Knights of the WLAF.   

I can promise that the next franchise (Seattle or Dallas) will be based on a concept from either the WLAF, NFL Europe, or the CFL foray into the USA.   So, speculate away.   I likely won't announce it until next week, because I have to focus on the 1993 playoffs and offseason. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WideRight said:

I can promise that the next franchise (Seattle or Dallas) will be based on a concept from either the WLAF, NFL Europe, or the CFL foray into the USA.   So, speculate away.

Seattle Sea Devils (Hamburg - NFLE) or Seattle Thunder (Orlando - WLAF)
Dallas Texans (San Antonio - CFL) or Dallas Posse (Las Vegas - CFL)

26 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Seattle Sea Devils (Hamburg - NFLE) or Seattle Thunder (Orlando - WLAF)
Dallas Texans (San Antonio - CFL) or Dallas Posse (Las Vegas - CFL)

He already has the Portland Thunder and Texans I believe.

A little disappointed about the Columbus being the Glory as that logo was terrible .. but I’m still hopeful that the team won’t be going by “Ohio” 

• Like 1

6on7h5.jpg

Seattle Red Dogs (New Jersey AFL) (Combines both of the states college teams. UW is the Huskies, or Dawgs and WSU's primary color is red) or Barracudas (CFL-USA Birmingham)

Dallas Riders (San Antonio WLAF) or Dallas Posse (CFL-USA Las Vegas)

• Like 2

xFUdNmt.png

46 minutes ago, Kooky01 said:

Seattle Red Dogs (New Jersey AFL) (Combines both of the states college teams. UW is the Huskies, or Dawgs and WSU's primary color is red) or Barracudas (CFL-USA Birmingham)

Dallas Riders (San Antonio WLAF) or Dallas Posse (CFL-USA Las Vegas)

Seattle Barracudas and Dallas Riders are both good selections. I love the Riders logo and unique colors. I’ll need a new team to root for in this league.

6on7h5.jpg