USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

27 minutes ago, BengalErnst said:

Seattle Barracudas and Dallas Riders are both good selections. I love the Riders logo and unique colors.

Hard pass on both.

The range of barracuda is tropical to subtropical waters... decidedly not the Pacific Northwest. There are far better piscine identities to grace a Seattle-based sports franchise: Steelheads, Sockeyes, Cutthroats, Chinook.

As for the Riders identity, I never understood the love. The name is about as generic as you can get, the logo was a mediocrity, and the color scheme just made me think of the San Diego Padres. It struck me as no better than a middle-of-the-pack identity - at best - in the WLAF. WideRight would have to work some real magic to "make a silk purse out of that sow's ear".   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Hard pass on both.

The range of barracuda is tropical to subtropical waters... decidedly not the Pacific Northwest. There are far better piscine identities to grace a Seattle-based sports franchise: Steelheads, Sockeyes, Cutthroats, Chinook.

As for the Riders identity, I never understood the love. The name is about as generic as you can get, the logo was a mediocrity, and the color scheme just made me think of the San Diego Padres. It struck me as no better than a middle-of-the-pack identity - at best - in the WLAF. WideRight would have to work some real magic to "make a silk purse out of that sow's ear".   

I actually agree with you on your take after you pointed it out but I will say that both of your points for those two teams could be applied to the Ohio glory.  WideRight wants to use identities that came out during that same time frame so it does limit the identities he could use a bit 

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League

I will say that all 3 finalists in the  "Name the Team" contest have been named in this thread.  Next week we will find out which was chosen by the ownership group.    Lots of good options have been suggested, but only 1 can enter the league in 1995. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BengalErnst said:

I actually agree with you on your take after you pointed it out but I will say that both of your points for those two teams could be applied to the Ohio glory.  WideRight wants to use identities that came out during that same time frame so it does limit the identities he could use a bit 

And I would argue that Glory actually makes sense for Ohio.  There is a lot of reverence not only for that state's role in producing U.S. Presidents, but its role in the CIvil War (think Bluejackets) and in producing other noteworthy Americans, such as U.S. Senator, Astronaut, and part owner of the USFL franchise, John Glenn. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, WideRight said:

And I would argue that Glory actually makes sense for Ohio.  There is a lot of reverence not only for that state's role in producing U.S. Presidents, but its role in the CIvil War (think Bluejackets) and in producing other noteworthy Americans, such as U.S. Senator, Astronaut, and part owner of the USFL franchise, John Glenn. 

Sorry. That’s not what I meant, I meant more along the lines that Glory could be a team name from a plethora of states. It’s not specific to Ohio by any means which is fine. I was speaking more along the lines that while barracudas aren’t specific to Pacific Northwest, neither is Glory to Ohio. By no means do I think it’s a terrible name, it’s actually a very solid name for all of the valid reasons you listed. I’m a Columbus guy through and through and I was mostly just referring to the team being called “Ohio” rather than “Columbus” 

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League

I always liked the Glory logo but I do wonder if that logo and branding looks too similar to what the Feds have going in Washington,  I always imagined it would make a good foundation for a more modern Feds logo (or a faux back depending on the scenario).

Rather than previous scenarios where teams have had similar colors these would be teams with essentially the same mascot and similar branding. I think the same issue would be the case with "Riders" for a potential Dallas franchise. I'm hoping for Seattle Sea Devils.

Not ready to reveal the team names yet, but I can confirm that Seattle will be the 24th USFL franchise, beating out Dallas for the franchise and adding a rival for the Portland Thunder.  The designs for all 4 finalist names, all based on either WLAF, NFLE, or CFL-USA logos will be released soon, but I can offer you the color schemes proposed for the 4 Seattle options right now:  

Seattle Sea Devils: Navy, Teal, Red

Seattle Pirates:  Purple, Orange, Gold

Seattle Dragons: Green, Yellow, Red

Seattle Admirals: Navy, Teal, Salmon

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WideRight said:

Not ready to reveal the team names yet, but I can confirm that Seattle will be the 24th USFL franchise, beating out Dallas for the franchise and adding a rival for the Portland Thunder.  The designs for all 4 finalist names, all based on either WLAF, NFLE, or CFL-USA logos will be released soon, but I can offer you the color schemes proposed for the 4 Seattle options right now:  

Is it possible that the Hamburg Sea Devils gave you the idea for that first option? Honestly I think that is a good thing; that team had a pretty solid thing going branding-wise.

Hamburg Sea Devils Primary Logo - NFL Europe (NFLE) - Chris Creamer's  Sports Logos Page - SportsLogos.Net

• Like 1

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

5 hours ago, WideRight said:

Seattle Sea Devils strikes me as the best of said identities. Why? One simply doesn't regard the Pacific Northwest as being a hotbed of piracy. Similarly, when one thinks of a significant U.S. Naval presence in the Pacific, Pearl Harbor and San Diego/Coronado are the locales that leap to mind, not Seattle. Finally, given the choice between the fantastical Dragons and Sea Devils brands, the latter just seems to fit Seattle better.  

11 hours ago, WideRight said:

All of them sound good, but I think I like Admirals the best. Navy, Teal and Salmon is not a color you see every day. Sea Devils would also be great as well. 

xFUdNmt.png