USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

On 9/13/2021 at 4:30 PM, WideRight said:

I think this is going to disappoint quite a few folks on this board, but...

spacer.png

I think you will like the uni's when I reveal them, and the other three may be a factor if/when the USFL has either more relocation or another expansion.  I just loved the old Barcelona Dragons, and with the XFL 2.0  Seattle Dragons, it gives me the chance to potentially update the logo as we get late into the 2010's.  That plus having green & yellow in Seattle seems a good fit (Supersonics).  

And, no, we will  not be busting out these monstrosities. spacer.png

OMG!!! MY EYES!  MY EYES!

There were some around this time (another is the stupid Birmingham Baraccudas) that are just such a nightmarish eyesore that if I were player, I'd sue for PTSD.  Seriously.  Just...vomitus.

1 hour ago, WideRight said:

And now the final reveal of the 1995 USFL Expansion clubs.  Here are your Atlanta Fire.  

spacer.png

I was tempted to add side panels on the jerseys, but opted not to go there (yet?).  The look borrows a lot from the Birmingham Fire of the WLAF, but rather than put flames on the sleeves I opted to use a secondary logo instead.  The helmets are very much the WLAF model, though the colors are slightly different with a more orangey-red instead of a standard red. Using different color sleeves just felt like a typical 90's thing to do and differentiated the team from some of the others.  

And besides, it was about time the USFL added a team with an orange jersey.  Seems odd they never had one. 

Awesome grand finale.

By the way, what stadium will the Fire be playing in? Bobby Dodd? Fulton County? or the Georgia Dome?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WideRight said:

And now the final reveal of the 1995 USFL Expansion clubs.  Here are your Atlanta Fire.  

spacer.png

I was tempted to add side panels on the jerseys, but opted not to go there (yet?).  The look borrows a lot from the Birmingham Fire of the WLAF, but rather than put flames on the sleeves I opted to use a secondary logo instead.  The helmets are very much the WLAF model, though the colors are slightly different with a more orangey-red instead of a standard red. Using different color sleeves just felt like a typical 90's thing to do and differentiated the team from some of the others.  

And besides, it was about time the USFL added a team with an orange jersey.  Seems odd they never had one. 

Very Broncos esque, but I like it!

xFUdNmt.png

15 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Awesome grand finale.

By the way, what stadium will the Fire be playing in? Bobby Dodd? Fulton County? or the Georgia Dome?

They have a contract in place with Bobby Dodd, but we will see how long they can last playing outdoors in July & August before the buckle and pay the Georgia Dome what they are asking to play there. 

On 9/29/2021 at 2:24 PM, WideRight said:

Yes and no.  I think that QB's continued to have longer sleeves when most players had already started cutting them down or using cuffs on the sleeves to shorten them.  If you look at this image from the unveiling you see that the QB cut on the left has longer sleeves, but the two other position players have much shorter sleeves.  As someone who remembers buying 3/4 sleeve replica jerseys and who misses full sleeves and sleeve stripes, I did not want to cut them too short, but even by the mid 90's traditional sleeve stripes were becoming an issue, which is one of the reasons that Nike did what they did with the Broncos, and so many teams followed suit. 

spacer.png

While I understand why players wanted the sleeves shorter, I hate the look.  Some in recent years looked like they were wearing tank tops.  Maybe a solution would be to require short sleeves the length of a man's tshirt, with a stretchy tshirt under the jersey and padding that could have stripes.

The other thing that is really starting to look bad is players wearing essentially bicycle shorts and tights underneath.  Pants should at least cover the knee, as they do in the pic above.  The monchrome unitard is just fugly.

28 minutes ago, LogoFan said:

While I understand why players wanted the sleeves shorter, I hate the look.  Some in recent years looked like they were wearing tank tops.  Maybe a solution would be to require short sleeves the length of a man's tshirt, with a stretchy tshirt under the jersey and padding that could have stripes.

The other thing that is really starting to look bad is players wearing essentially bicycle shorts and tights underneath.  Pants should at least cover the knee, as they do in the pic above.  The monchrome unitard is just fugly.

I think the sleeves have gotten shorter because players don't want anything loose that an opponent can grab on to.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 11:54 AM, WideRight said:

Third expansion club up.  Here is the design for the Seattle Dragons.  Heavily influenced by the WLAF and NFLE Dragons, though with some elements not borrowed from the originals.   I personally love this color combo, using just a hint of black to offset the red, yellow, and green.  It also feels very "Seattle" to me.  Not in the highlighter green version of the Seahawks, but more aligned with the last few years of the Supersonics.    Remember that this is the first design, and just like the Jags and Panthers in the NFL, the 90's and 2000's and 2010's will lead to an evolution (though hopefully not some of the major downgrades we have seen in Jacksonville.)

spacer.png

Seattle looks fantastic and while I'm not a huge fan of the color scheme, I love the dragon design so much.

My Alternative History Sports Stories:

CFL-USA - A Different Telling/StL Americans TL

12 minutes ago, ralphz said:

Just saw your site - alternate uniforms and helmets?? You're holding out on us! 

Want to take a guess at which teams are going to pull out a fully alt look (not just a throwback look)?  

I will give you a hint.    There are two tickets waiting for Elvis each week at one USFL stadium. 

Hey all,   two questions to crowdsource some of my next moves.

1. Alternate uniforms:  Using only current logos in this USFL atl history, what alt uniforms would you imagine?

Portland Thunder with a navy jersey?              

Denver Gold with a metallic gold helmet?

Oakland Invaders with a "Salute to the Air Force" uniform?

2.  You saw that I am seeking to bring  the Stars logo out of the 80's.  Are there other logos that you think would never have

remained unchanged from the mid-80's into the 2000's, a la Bucco Bruce, Patriot Pat, or the Atlanta Falcon logo?

Are there any that need to be reimagined for the late 1990's or early 2000's?

19 minutes ago, WideRight said:

Hey all,   two questions to crowdsource some of my next moves.

1. Alternate uniforms:  Using only current logos in this USFL atl history, what alt uniforms would you imagine?

Portland Thunder with a navy jersey?              

Denver Gold with a metallic gold helmet?

Oakland Invaders with a "Salute to the Air Force" uniform?

2.  You saw that I am seeking to bring  the Stars logo out of the 80's.  Are there other logos that you think would never have

remained unchanged from the mid-80's into the 2000's, a la Bucco Bruce, Patriot Pat, or the Atlanta Falcon logo?

Are there any that need to be reimagined for the late 1990's or early 2000's?

1) Alternate Uniforms:

- Red pants for the Generals on the road.

- Light blue jersey for the Michigan Panthers.

2) Overhauls:

- Arizona Wranglers (Burgundy and teal, then go back to the AZ flag colors later)

- Tampa Bay Bandits

- Baltimore Blitz (Maryland flag colors?)

- Birmingham Stallions (Maybe a more aggressive horse)

- Houston Gamblers

- Orlando Renegades (Change to Galaxy or Sorcerers?)

• Like 2

Don't touch the Wranglers! 

Alts:

Copper Wranglers jersey 

Blue Generals jersey 

Red Stallions helmet 

Silver Breakers helmet

Dark Breakers jersey

Dark blue Invaders helmet and jersey

Black Federals helmet and jersey 

Red Gamblers helmet

Silver Maulers helmet 

Blue Outlaws helmet

New logos:

Blitz

Invaders

Gamblers

Maulers

Renegades 

Outlaws 

• Like 1

The blitz definitely need a new logo & I still feel like the Baltimore Marauders branding works best for that nickname. Blitz = bombing and the B26 Maruader that brand was based around was a bomber plane. The Maulers could easily use the old Berlin Thunder logo as an update & The Outlaws could use the Longhorn skull from the XFL team, minus the spade shape in the nose. Maybe the Renegades stick it out until the modern era and change to something like the AAF Apollos branding.. Not too sure what could or should be done to update the last two. I was never a fan of the Gamblers or Invaders logos because they didn't represent their respective nicknames well imho. The Invaders logo looked more like a God (Zues) or Titans throwing the bolt while the Gamblers could've been named the Texans and kept their brand the exact same (it was too boring for such a cool name). I was the ArenaFL gladiators had better logos because that name >>> Invaders (also imho).

1 hour ago, qckgnc said:

The blitz definitely need a new logo & I still feel like the Baltimore Marauders branding works best for that nickname. Blitz = bombing and the B26 Maruader that brand was based around was a bomber plane.

They could use the logo of the failed Baltimore Bombers.

• Like 3

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.