USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

Interesting thoughts from all.  But enough speculation for now.  Here is the first of the 1995 Alt Uniforms for USFL teams.  I am hoping to have about 4 teams each season introduce an alt look.  Some will be minor changes, others may go full "Nike Oregon" with their looks.   The first one is the one I hinted at above.  Jerry Glanville took the reins, and so we end up with a Man in Black look for the Bandits. 

spacer.png

• Like 7

On 10/5/2021 at 9:37 PM, Bomba Tomba said:

They could use the logo of the failed Baltimore Bombers.

This is what I meant, I have a habit of calling them the Marauders because of the plane they are named after. But Blitz, Bombers, and Marauders would all work. 

Throwing 2 more potential 1995 ALT uniforms at you, St. Louis and Portland.     These are not final, so I am taking feedback.  I am wavering for St. Louis between a true BFBS where they go black on the helmet too, but I kind of like the purple lid.  For Portland I am not sure about having a 2nd helmet and I am wondering if I want to do something a bit more experimental with the green pants.   What are your thoughts on these two drafts of possible alt uniforms? 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

3 hours ago, WideRight said:

Throwing 2 more potential 1995 ALT uniforms at you, St. Louis and Portland.     These are not final, so I am taking feedback.  I am wavering for St. Louis between a true BFBS where they go black on the helmet too, but I kind of like the purple lid.  For Portland I am not sure about having a 2nd helmet and I am wondering if I want to do something a bit more experimental with the green pants.   What are your thoughts on these two drafts of possible alt uniforms? 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Man I dunno about the bfbs STL uniform, it doesn't even look like the same team. Portland looks really good, I think the white helmet would go great with the blue jersey and green pants

• Like 1

In today's posting on the alt hisory of the USFL website I announced that 3 alternate uniforms have been approved by the USFL, the Tampa Bay "Black Rider" uniform posted above, and two throwback uniforms, used by Washington and Baltimore as the two rivals will wear these throwbacks 2x a year when they play each other.  Here are the 3 together.  I expect 3 more to come out this year, a modified version of the Thunder concept shown above, a blackout uniform for St. Louis, and a surprise one.    I will post those 3 soon, and then when we get to the 1995 season I will be adding 2-4 new alternates for the 1996 season (figuring that teams would announce sometime near the end of each season as they often do in EPL soccer, rather than waiting until the draft (as the NFL does). 

spacer.png

• Like 5

11 hours ago, WideRight said:

In today's posting on the alt hisory of the USFL website I announced that 3 alternate uniforms have been approved by the USFL, the Tampa Bay "Black Rider" uniform posted above, and two throwback uniforms, used by Washington and Baltimore as the two rivals will wear these throwbacks 2x a year when they play each other.  Here are the 3 together.  I expect 3 more to come out this year, a modified version of the Thunder concept shown above, a blackout uniform for St. Louis, and a surprise one.    I will post those 3 soon, and then when we get to the 1995 season I will be adding 2-4 new alternates for the 1996 season (figuring that teams would announce sometime near the end of each season as they often do in EPL soccer, rather than waiting until the draft (as the NFL does). 

spacer.png

That Blitz logo has always bothered me. It's fine as a wordmark, but just feels lifeless as a helmet logo. Perhaps if you choose to evolve the brand, one idea would be to introduce a secondary logo from the lightning bolt on the 'Z.' In my mind, I'd turn it horizontal and use it as the helmet logo. It could even connect at the front of the helmet and spread toward the back, similar to XFL Birmingham bolts, only without the bolts going in all directions. 

Just spitballin' here. ;)

11 hours ago, BengalErnst said:

Guessing St. Louis and Portland got pushed to 1996?

Guessing you missed this part...

Here are the 3 together.  I expect 3 more to come out this year, a modified version of the Thunder concept shown above, a blackout uniform for St. Louis, and a surprise one. 

That Bandits uniform definitely has Glanville written all over it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

That Blitz logo has always bothered me. It's fine as a wordmark, but just feels lifeless as a helmet logo. Perhaps if you choose to evolve the brand, one idea would be to introduce a secondary logo from the lightning bolt on the 'Z.' In my mind, I'd turn it horizontal and use it as the helmet logo. It could even connect at the front of the helmet and spread toward the back, similar to XFL Birmingham bolts, only without the bolts going in all directions. 

Just spitballin' here. ;)

Ooh I like that idea. The Birmingham Bolts from the XFL had a nice helmet 

• Like 1

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League

Ok, looking for more feedback.  Looking to update the Baltimore Blitz around 2000.   So, some potential XFL influence (Xtreme, Kewl) but within a USFL context.   Decided early on that the logo with the full name probably was not great for the helmet, so each design includes a "B" logo, a wordmark, and a helmet.   I have a striping design I like a lot and will use with all 3 ideas, so the main thing is the logo.

And yes, I tried out the Birmingham Bolts design, but with the Blitz colors it ends up looking like I am trying to create a punkish Union Jack.  It does not read as lightning as much.   I also tried multiple lightning bolt designs, but they all looked wrong, like a HS that had stolen the Chargers or Air Force logo.  So, back to the letter B (since it is both Blitz and Baltimore).   

Do any of these three work for you?  Why? Why not?   Maybe around the 2015s  the team will get nostalgic and go back to the original logo, but for now, I want the late 90's and early 2000's to lead to some Xtreme style designs, as we saw with the XFL and the weird lightning football logo for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of that time.  (The NFL never got too Xtreme because they were already established and a bit fuddy duddy about change.)

spacer.png

• Like 5