USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

On 10/16/2021 at 12:43 PM, WideRight said:

Ok, looking for more feedback.  Looking to update the Baltimore Blitz around 2000.   So, some potential XFL influence (Xtreme, Kewl) but within a USFL context.   Decided early on that the logo with the full name probably was not great for the helmet, so each design includes a "B" logo, a wordmark, and a helmet.   I have a striping design I like a lot and will use with all 3 ideas, so the main thing is the logo.

And yes, I tried out the Birmingham Bolts design, but with the Blitz colors it ends up looking like I am trying to create a punkish Union Jack.  It does not read as lightning as much.   I also tried multiple lightning bolt designs, but they all looked wrong, like a HS that had stolen the Chargers or Air Force logo.  So, back to the letter B (since it is both Blitz and Baltimore).   

Do any of these three work for you?  Why? Why not?   Maybe around the 2015s  the team will get nostalgic and go back to the original logo, but for now, I want the late 90's and early 2000's to lead to some Xtreme style designs, as we saw with the XFL and the weird lightning football logo for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of that time.  (The NFL never got too Xtreme because they were already established and a bit fuddy duddy about change.)

spacer.png

Definitely A.

The B in Option B reminds a little bit of the Baskin Robbins logo in weird way (I know it may just be me) and I just don't like the wordmark.  The stand alone lower case B in C doesn't really read as a B to me when it is by itself.

spacer.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Hi folks.   I am not designing new unis for a while as I need to do a lot of groundwork within the program (Draft Day Pro Football 21) and with the website to plan for the 1995 expansion clubs entering the league.  So, in the meantime, and because I don't think I have shared these before, here are the last few logos for the USFL Summer Bowl.   The league switched from "USFL Championship" to "Summer Bowl" with a year designation (no Roman numerals here) for 1990, so we have had 4 Summer Bowls so far.  1990-Orlando,  1991-LA,  1992-DC, 1993-New Orleans, and 1994 (upcoming in just days) in Birmingham.  

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The next 2 Summer Bowls will be 1995 in Denver (the first repeat site from 1983) and 1996 in The Meadowlands.  

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my ideas for later identities for current USFL teams

Austin Wranglers AFL 2004-2007 & AF2 2008: Maybe Texas Outlaws Mid 2000s but change the Wranglers dark blue & red to classic Outlaws royal blue & green OR Tampa Bay Bandits Mid 2000s due to the horse but keep the red and change the dark blue to black OR Birmingham Stallions Mid 2000s but make the colours red & gold.

Columbus Destroyers AFL 2004-2008:  If you ignore the c & d sort if embedded in which could just be made the same colour or just say it’s a multi colour football, it could be Orlando Renegades Mid 2000s  if the ownership decided to tone down the logo before changing the name later one but have the colours as blue silver & white because well it is very generic but could work for a team with a bad name before renaming Orlando to maybe the Scream.

Georgia Force AFL 2002-2008 & 2011-2012: Oakland Invaders Mid 2000s with  the Blade sort of looking like lightning which fits with the lightning fist from the original Invaders logo but mainly it gives a meaning to the Invaders name. The GF monogram should be replaced by a O for Oakland with light blue, black and white replaced by buff blue, navy blue and yellow or if they wanted new colours for the 2000s, teal, dark blue and gold.

Peoria Pirates AF2 2008-2009: Orlando Renegades Mid to Late 2000s if the owners decided to replace the tomahawk logo with a pirate and keep the team name. Replace the Pirates grey & black with either royal blue & silver or a new colour scheme of navy blue and grey.

On 10/21/2021 at 12:32 PM, WideRight said:

Hi folks.   I am not designing new unis for a while as I need to do a lot of groundwork within the program (Draft Day Pro Football 21) and with the website to plan for the 1995 expansion clubs entering the league.  So, in the meantime, and because I don't think I have shared these before, here are the last few logos for the USFL Summer Bowl.   The league switched from "USFL Championship" to "Summer Bowl" with a year designation (no Roman numerals here) for 1990, so we have had 4 Summer Bowls so far.  1990-Orlando,  1991-LA,  1992-DC, 1993-New Orleans, and 1994 (upcoming in just days) in Birmingham.  

This may be a weird question but is there any way you could send a few screen shots of what this league looks inside the program(DDPF21). I’d like to see what the team editor looked like. I’m pondering buying that game, or the 22 version for my XFL reboot.

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League

On 11/7/2021 at 7:13 AM, BengalErnst said:

This may be a weird question but is there any way you could send a few screen shots of what this league looks inside the program(DDPF21). I’d like to see what the team editor looked like. I’m pondering buying that game, or the 22 version for my XFL reboot.

You can download the demo for free to check it out.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 3:22 AM, TheSquirrel said:

Here are my ideas for later identities for current USFL teams

Austin Wranglers AFL 2004-2007 & AF2 2008: Maybe Texas Outlaws Mid 2000s but change the Wranglers dark blue & red to classic Outlaws royal blue & green OR Tampa Bay Bandits Mid 2000s due to the horse but keep the red and change the dark blue to black OR Birmingham Stallions Mid 2000s but make the colours red & gold.

Columbus Destroyers AFL 2004-2008:  If you ignore the c & d sort if embedded in which could just be made the same colour or just say it’s a multi colour football, it could be Orlando Renegades Mid 2000s  if the ownership decided to tone down the logo before changing the name later one but have the colours as blue silver & white because well it is very generic but could work for a team with a bad name before renaming Orlando to maybe the Scream.

Georgia Force AFL 2002-2008 & 2011-2012: Oakland Invaders Mid 2000s with  the Blade sort of looking like lightning which fits with the lightning fist from the original Invaders logo but mainly it gives a meaning to the Invaders name. The GF monogram should be replaced by a O for Oakland with light blue, black and white replaced by buff blue, navy blue and yellow or if they wanted new colours for the 2000s, teal, dark blue and gold.

Peoria Pirates AF2 2008-2009: Orlando Renegades Mid to Late 2000s if the owners decided to replace the tomahawk logo with a pirate and keep the team name. Replace the Pirates grey & black with either royal blue & silver or a new colour scheme of navy blue and grey.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I am still on the fence over whether my version of the USFL will ever grow beyond 24 teams.  The more teams I add the more work it takes to simulate each week and each offseason.  28 is the next size up, and that creates the awkward 5-4-5 alignment in each conference.   Hard enough figuring out how to handle 4 divisions of 6 teams when it comes to schedules without having different-sized teams.

That said, I do expect some relocation, and perhaps some rebranding, as we move into the 2000's.   Stadium issues are always a possibility, as are cities trying to get into the USFL clubhouse.   I already have one move planned, as well as a rebrand, so we shall see if more happens.  

And, I am just about to kick off 1995, so the new teams will be in action.  You can check out my site to see just who ended up becoming the first members of the Atlanta Fire, Ohio Glory, Seattle Dragons, and the reborn LA Express.    I am also working myself up to designing a new "mannequin" based uniform template where you can see the uni's as worn by the players instead of flat design schematics.  Not sure how long that will take, but once I have the template ready, I will share that along with new images for all teams. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, WideRight said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  I am still on the fence over whether my version of the USFL will ever grow beyond 24 teams.  The more teams I add the more work it takes to simulate each week and each offseason.  28 is the next size up, and that creates the awkward 5-4-5 alignment in each conference.   Hard enough figuring out how to handle 4 divisions of 6 teams when it comes to schedules without having different-sized teams.

That said, I do expect some relocation, and perhaps some rebranding, as we move into the 2000's.   Stadium issues are always a possibility, as are cities trying to get into the USFL clubhouse.   I already have one move planned, as well as a rebrand, so we shall see if more happens.  

And, I am just about to kick off 1995, so the new teams will be in action.  You can check out my site to see just who ended up becoming the first members of the Atlanta Fire, Ohio Glory, Seattle Dragons, and the reborn LA Express.    I am also working myself up to designing a new "mannequin" based uniform template where you can see the uni's as worn by the players instead of flat design schematics.  Not sure how long that will take, but once I have the template ready, I will share that along with new images for all teams. 

For 28 teams, you can just have what the NFL did from 1978 until 1994 and have the fifth place teams in each conference play each other twice. Or, you can go straight to 30 teams if you want more balance.

As far as players go, I was interested to see if Bill Goldberg played in the USFL before pursuing wrestling. Same for Dwayne Johnson, the Miami (FL) linebacker. Other players I'm curious about this year are Brad Johnson, Keith Traylor, Siran Stacy, Will Furrer, Casey Weldon, Paul Justin and Mario Bailey. Ron Carpenter, who was a defensive back for Amsterdam in NFLE in '95 is another player I was hoping to see in the USFL in '95.

2 hours ago, WideRight said:

Im actually a big fan of your current template but can’t wait to see what you come up with in the mannequin as your league moves to the new century 

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League