USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

On 4/10/2021 at 4:29 PM, WideRight said:

Expect some minor changes for the late 80’s as Russell and Champion are the main uni providers, but once Nike gets into the game, all bets are off, including logo changes.  

I really don’t expect to change away from USFL team identities unless a team is relocated and another takes it’s place, like we see with Chicago.  

And just how the CFL would move into the USA will be a big difference in a world with the USFL in place.  The WLAF may also be dead in the water as the NFL cannot waste time on a d-league while they lose 30%-50% of top tier rookies to the USFL every year.  

Reebok might be a good uniform partner in the 1990's.

Is there a chance we'll see logos on the front of the jerseys like the WLAF did?

On 4/9/2021 at 8:43 PM, BengalErnst said:

Orlando renegades and New Orleans breakers both need to turn into their arena football counterparts, the predators and the voodoo.

The Breakers are one of the all time best identities and helmets in sports, no way they should become the Voodoo. I won't debate you on the Renegades however even though I like the logo and color scheme.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Skycast said:

The Breakers are one of the all time best identities and helmets in sports, no way they should become the Voodoo.

While I love the Breakers identity and helmets, it suited the Boston market far better than either New Orleans or Portland, as the Massachusetts capital is an oceanfront city where breakers - heavy ocean waves which break violently into foam against a rocky coast - are quite likely to occur. New Orleans and Portland are riverfront cities situated 100 miles upriver from, respectively, the Gulf of Mexico and the Pacific Ocean.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Skycast said:

The Breakers are one of the all time best identities and helmets in sports, no way they should become the Voodoo. I won't debate you on the Renegades however even though I like the logo and color scheme.

Like Brian said, it just doesn’t fit NO. Move them back to Boston if they need to be kept.. then they can turn to the brawlers around 2000 in the XFL era

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League

Tampa Bay Storm logos would make great wordmarks for Portland. 

KC Command/Brigade (AFL), Wichita Stealth (Af2), & Omaha Nighthawks (UFL) would make a cool brand progression for a team based in that area of the US (not necessarily in the order proposed).

LV Posse (CFL- USA) × Laredo Law (AF2) would be a solid brand evolution, although I'd probably avoid the Posse name. 

Hartford Colonials (UFL) & the logo from the Shreveport Pirates (CFL-USA) would make for solid branding for future expansion as well. 

Would the "Gold Rush defense" be to on the nose for Denver? That defense gets mentioned every week and deserves a nickname. 

So as we have entered the 1988-1989 offseason, Russell Athletic is making changes to 3 teams:  Baltimore, Washington and Birmingham.  The Stallions have the least done to their design.  Tell me what you see that is different.  I will then post Baltimore (moderate changes) and Washington (greatest change). 

spacer.png

• Like 5

White outlining on the helmet/pant striping. White pants at home/Gold on the road. That part doesn’t feel right I loved their white pants on the road look. It looks too 49ers w/ gold on the road. Switch to gold at home White on the road just like it was in real life. 

• Like 1

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

10 hours ago, mkg74 said:

White outlining on the helmet/pant striping. White pants at home/Gold on the road. That part doesn’t feel right I loved their white pants on the road look. It looks too 49ers w/ gold on the road. Switch to gold at home White on the road just like it was in real life. 

I am picturing the pants being alternated to create four looks (red + gold, red + white, white + gold, white + white), but had to put the pants up with one or the other jersey for the image.  The rest is exactly what was changed.  The 89 Stallions start the trend of removing sleeve stripes and adding the team logo to the sleeve, much as we saw with the Dolphins in the 90's.  Russell Athletic is not going to do anything truly crazy, we will have to wait for Nike for that to happen. 

OK, and here is the second of 3 updates, the Baltimore Blitz.  Some of you may have seen this before as this is not an entirely new concept.  The goal here is to snag more former Colts fans by switching from a predominantly red look to a primarily blue look.  I also added a 2nd color outline (Silver) to the numbers and swapped the blue facemask for red (which the Blitz in real life did from 83 to 84). 

spacer.png

The only downside to creating new looks for USFL teams over time is that it means I have to stop using actual USFL photos in my stories on the alt history simulation website. 

• Like 7

And the biggest change that Russell Athletic makes is the Washington Federals.  They shift from white to silver helmets (something that happened after only 1 season in reality) and they get a new logo.  The Eagle logo is a mashup between one of the hundred eagle head logos out there and the logo of the Baltimore Stallions of the CFL in the USA.  I increased the size of the 3 stars to represent the stars on the DC flag without changing team colors.  The logo morphs from green to black as it moves from the head into the flag-body.  The uniform itself is not a big departure from the original Federals look, except that I simplified the stripes (as was typical in the early 90's).  THe silver pants are used often, the green ones only for the occasional road game.   (BTW, it is very hard to create a Federals logo with the eagle that does not look like an attempt to do the Philadelphia Eagles.  Why the Feds chose green & black with an eagle logo in the first place is bizarre considering the DC-Philly rivalry).  

spacer.png

• Like 7

On 4/17/2021 at 8:49 AM, WideRight said:

The only downside to creating new looks for USFL teams over time is that it means I have to stop using actual USFL photos in my stories on the alt history simulation website. 

I was wondering how you were going to move forward with this. I’m just happy that you’re going to keep trucking along. The pictures are becoming dated anyhow. 

Nice work with the updates. Can’t wait to see how the league keeps trucking along. Love the Federals new logo. Great way to use the Stallions look from the CFL. 

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League

On 4/17/2021 at 7:49 AM, WideRight said:

spacer.png

I really like these and in my mind better than their real life uniforms. Simply by reversing the color logic on the jersey . Genius! This thread is making me miss the league again for the billionth time. Just when I thought i was almost over it ;)

• Like 1

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png