USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

Honestly surprised that no one pointed out that the pant and helmet stripe is green outside of black, but the white jersey stripe is reversed.  I should probably make them match.  I did try several versions of the green pant striping, but opted to make it match the green jersey's simple white-black-white stripe. 

BTW, it may be about a month before I reveal the next set of Russell Athletic updates for USFL teams, since it takes just under a month for me to simulate an entire season (with several posts dedicated to off-season moves), but I can say that the next teams up on the RA agenda are Denver, Orlando and Memphis.  How big or how small with the changes be?

47 minutes ago, WideRight said:

BTW, it may be about a month before I reveal the next set of Russell Athletic updates for USFL teams, since it takes just under a month for me to simulate an entire season (with several posts dedicated to off-season moves), but I can say that the next teams up on the RA agenda are Denver, Orlando and Memphis.  How big or how small with the changes be?

I honestly didn't think the swap of the stripe colors was too noticeable.

Denver: I'd find a way to incorporate mountains into the Gold's look.

Orlando: A name change from Renegades to Galaxy could compensate for the absence of Frankfurt.

Memphis: I'd find a new color scheme so that they don't look too much like the Bandits.

• Like 1

Orlando Galaxy sounds decent. I agree that Memphis and TB are too close in color scheme, add in the fact that Bham also uses a similar shade of red and that entire division could use some change up imo.

The Feds look a little too close to Philly (Eagles) but that might just be my opinion on it, there is so much red in their division too that they don't have much of a choice. I do love what you did with the new logo.

• Like 1

Hi all, 

Thinking about trying to rework the Memphis Showboats so that their color scheme is not too close to that of the Tampa Bay Bandits.  I want to retain (but possibly tweak) the main logo (the half-circle paddlewheel design), and I think they should keep red as their main color, but beyond that I am open to suggestions.  My options so far:

1. Eliminate all black so it is just red and silver

2. Add more black

3. Swap out silver entirely for a different color:  Light blue perhaps (Like Oilers colors)

4. Swap our red for another color  (not ideal since pretty much every steamboat ever was white with red trim)

5. Remove the silver and have the team be basically red and white (like DC defenders or IU, Oklahoma, Alabama, etc. but a brighter red)

Just not sure what to do to minimize the Tampa-Memphis similarity but retain the main identity of the team.   Would love thoughts on this. 

• Like 1

5 isn't honestly the best solution to the problem but I think it would be the best look.

3 with an aquatic blue/teal would be a unique look as long as you don't darken the red to where they start looking like Michigan. 

Final answer. Go with 5 but with some moderate use of a tertiary color, like the suggested light blue you mentioned. On second thought cancel the tertiary and keep it classic. 

So I have been testing out several different options, flipping the silver and red, eliminating silver and going red-white, and multiple alternative colors to replace silver.  Here is what I have produced so far. 

spacer.png

I think I am leaning towards the swap of silver for a metallic, silver-blue.  I did some checking around and I do not believe it is a color that has been used in a football uniform yet.  The key is that it is metallic, basically a silver with stronger blue tones.  I found this concept where they swapped out colors for their opposites and the silver-blue of this concept Saints helmet is what I am thinking of. 

spacer.png

Thoughts?  I also darkened the red on that "silver sky" concept and I think that helps. 

• Like 5

On 4/12/2021 at 8:32 PM, Brian in Boston said:

While I love the Breakers identity and helmets, it suited the Boston market far better than either New Orleans or Portland, as the Massachusetts capital is an oceanfront city where breakers - heavy ocean waves which break violently into foam against a rocky coast - are quite likely to occur. New Orleans and Portland are riverfront cities situated 100 miles upriver from, respectively, the Gulf of Mexico and the Pacific Ocean.  

Although not ocean waves, the breakers of Lake Pontchartrain say hello...
EZ7QOeQXYAAPPYq.jpg

EZ7QOiwXQAcORNY.jpg

D4L2FY6O5FJX5HRGWAWTUQKBZQ.jpg

😁

• Like 3

It is what it is.

5 hours ago, B-Rich said:

Although not ocean waves, the breakers of Lake Pontchartrain say hello...

While the waves on Lake Pontchartrain are impressive, Breakers still isn't a better identity for a New Orleans-based franchise than it was for a Boston team. And the waves on Lake Pontchartrain had less to do with the Breakers name being maintained in the Crescent City than it did with George Matthews' willingness (or lack thereof) to foot-the-bill for a rebrand. Again, in my honest opinion, New Orleans VooDoo was a far better brand for football in the market than Breakers ever was. Lose the sunglasses in the AFL squad's logo and you're set.    

• Like 2

I agree that the VooDoo identity was perfect for N'awlins, and that it makes more sense than the Breakers identity.  I am not going to get rid of one of the best USFL looks just for that reason though.  Maybe the team will eventually move somewhere else with an oceanfront view, but for now they remain because that is still one of the best helmets in football history.  And besides, the LA Lakers, Utah Jazz, Memphis Grizzlies, Arizona Cardinals and LA Dodgers make a poor city-nickname combo work, so why not the New Orleans Breakers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WideRight said:

I am not going to get rid of one of the best USFL looks just for that reason though. Maybe the team will eventually move somewhere else with an oceanfront view, but for now they remain because that is still one of the best helmets in football history.

Hmmmmm. You're just heading into the 1988 playoffs in your USFL simulation, correct? Plenty of time for me to convince simulation Bob Kraft to build a privately-financed stadium for USFL football, convince the simulation Boston City Council to let him construct it on the city's Seaport waterfront, and for the Breakers to return to their rightful home. Depending upon how quickly simulation Bob Kraft can build the stadium and close on the purchase of the team, he could conceivably have the Breakers lifting the first of their ten USFL championship trophies (Kraft's Breakers don't lose four USFL title games, including two heartbreakers to the New Jersey Generals and one to the Philadelphia Stars) before his real world counterpart would have actually purchased the NFL's Patriots. 😉         

• Like 1

I’m glad to know you won’t be replacing the Breakers with the VooDoo. The former has one of the best unforms helmet logo and colors in the history of professional football. To replace that with a subpar Arena team logo would’ve been a grave mistake. If you end up moving Breakers back to Boston maybe try creating your own team name and logo keep the NOLA color theme. Not the awful VooDoo name or logo. That’s Arena League stuff not big time pro ball IMO 

• Like 1

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png