USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

Here is the reveal of the St. Louis Knights.  Won't say how the Knights come to be, but those following the alt history league can probably see the writing on the wall.   For the initial look I altered very little from the source material (not USFL but WLAF).  As teams develop over time the designs will become more distinct from their original "real world" inspirations. 

spacer.png

The other 2 teams which will get new looks in 1992 are the  Michigan Panthers and Houston Gamblers. 

What (if any) changes would you envision for a 1992 version of the Gamblers or Panthers?

• Like 8

@WideRight

I would switch the star on the eye to white and the streak to gold.

Also, I would change the numbers on the home jersey to white and see if there can be white stripes on the pants.

I don't think the Gamblers should stray too far from their original look, except for maybe putting the logo on the sleeves as cap sleeves become more standard later on.

For the Panthers, maybe a more 90's logo while retaining the color scheme. With the Michigan Panthers still around, what could be the nickname for Charlotte's NFL franchise in 1995?

30 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

@WideRight

For the Panthers, maybe a more 90's logo while retaining the color scheme. With the Michigan Panthers still around, what could be the nickname for Charlotte's NFL franchise in 1995?

That is a good question.  Of course the presence of the USFL and relative success of different markets may cause the NFL to expand differently.  Maybe it is not Carolina and Jacksonville, maybe it is Baltimore and Memphis or St. Louis and Carolina.  More to come on that a little later on.  

As for the colors on St. Louis, in part I am trying to stick to a 1990's aesthetic, and that is not always what I would prefer.  The gold numbers came from the St. Louis Stallions prototype. 

10 hours ago, WideRight said:

Hey everyone,

Here is the reveal of the St. Louis Knights.  Won't say how the Knights come to be, but those following the alt history league can probably see the writing on the wall.   For the initial look I altered very little from the source material (not USFL but WLAF).  As teams develop over time the designs will become more distinct from their original "real world" inspirations. 

spacer.png

The other 2 teams which will get new looks in 1992 are the  Michigan Panthers and Houston Gamblers. 

What (if any) changes would you envision for a 1992 version of the Gamblers or Panthers?

Good look honestly, this is the best choice.

I'm thinking that the Panthers may update to the logo used by the Carolina Panthers, switch the black for wine and the silver for champagne and you could lift the entire identity as an update for Michigan. The entire branding screams 90s and the uniforms need to be updated IRL. Also pretty sure I know who is about to move to STL.

I have no idea on the Gamblers update. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 10:48 AM, WideRight said:

Hey everyone,

spacer.png

Silver and gold together? WOW! Don't know. I would of did gold, violet, but since they are the knights, silver, violet, and red would of worked too.

Guest darkpiranha
5 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

Silver and gold together? WOW! Don't know. I would of did gold, violet, but since they are the knights, silver, violet, and red would of worked too.

I love this take on the Knights, especially the colors.  But I wonder if there's a way to sneak in some kind of subtle Arch in there?  Maybe the mane can be mini-arches instead of squares?  Instead of a sharp point above the star-eye, maybe that can be an arch?  

And here we go with the first of 2 redesigns by Russell Athletic in their last year with the USFL.  The league (in the simulation alt history) just signed a leaguewide contract with Nike, so starting with the 1993 season all uniforms will be Nike, and that means some major changes to some teams beginning in 1993.   But, for the last year of the Rusell Athletic contract there are two teams getting modest remakes, Houston and Pittsburgh (Michigan deferred until 1993 to get on board with Nike).  

Today we present the new look for the Houston Gamblers.  Nothing radical but a few worthwhile changes.

• Creation of a secondary logo which can be seen on the chest and as a sticker on the helmet.
  • Removal of grey as a team color, which means no more grey pants.  There is now a black and a white set.
  • Placement of the "Gamblers" wordmark on the chest. 
  • Options now for an all-white look or an all-black look, though in most weeks it will be black jersey with white pants and vice versa on the road.  

spacer.png

• Like 8

OK, last of the 1992 updates, Pittsburgh Maulers. 

I toyed with switching them to a metal grey helmet, but never got a look I liked.  So, the 1992 update is pretty basic.

spacer.png

Changes include:

1. Introduction of purple pants.

2. Shift of helmet  stripes from orange bracketing white to white bracketing orange.

3. Matched the purple jersey sleeve stripes to the pattern seen on the white jersey, two thicker stripes outlined in a thinner stripe. 

4. Placed  the main logo in the striping pattern on the jersey stripes. 

5. "Maulers" wordmark on front of jersey. 

6. Simplified socks to just purple blocks. 

1993 brings in the era of Nike as league uniform provider, with Michigan the first of many significant reimaginings. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The Knights have been revealed for 1992, so now it is on to the 1993 and 1994 updates by Nike.   

Looking at these teams, which do you think is most likely to get a "1996 Broncos" style update?  

Michigan Panthers

Tampa Bay Bandits

Philadelphia Stars

New Jersey Generals

One of them will be the first of the "New Nike" look.  All will be updated soon, but some will have a more traditional look than others.  Still only mid 1990's, so no total craziness, but when we think about how different the 96 Broncos were compared to all other NFL teams, it was a big shift.  Which USFL team makes that shift with Nike?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WideRight said:

The Knights have been revealed for 1992, so now it is on to the 1993 and 1994 updates by Nike.   

Looking at these teams, which do you think is most likely to get a "1996 Broncos" style update?  

Michigan Panthers

Tampa Bay Bandits

Philadelphia Stars

New Jersey Generals

One of them will be the first of the "New Nike" look.  All will be updated soon, but some will have a more traditional look than others.  Still only mid 1990's, so no total craziness, but when we think about how different the 96 Broncos were compared to all other NFL teams, it was a big shift.  Which USFL team makes that shift with Nike?

I feel like either the Panthers or the Bandits would do best with that kind of update myself.

• Like 1

Sportslogo-Forum-Signature-2.png

I'm going with Tampa because part of the lore behind the Broncos rebrand was that they never won a SB in their better looking orange crush uniforms so a change was needed. That fits Tampa in-universe  better than any of the other teams provided (imho). A darker red and silver would make for a nice combo on a modern palette and would make the difference between them and Memphis even more noticeable, keeping black to a minimum on the uniform to keep them and Houston from looking alike. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 11:48 AM, WideRight said:

Hey everyone,

spacer.png

I don't like them, I LOVE them.  Bravo!  What a sharp, distinctive color palette!

On 6/5/2021 at 1:42 PM, neo_prankster said:

For me, it's down to the Knights and Monarchs. The Surge and Mad Dogs names don't really fit the St. Louis area.

I can understand Surge and MadDogs.  Surge due to one of the most powerful earthquakes in US history happening in the area (closer to Memphis, but still...) and the Mad Dogs were a slap at the NFL for Memphis not awarding the Hound Dogs to them, but that reference is really dated now.