USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

22 hours ago, WideRight said:

Looking at these teams, which do you think is most likely to get a "1996 Broncos" style update?  

Michigan Panthers

Tampa Bay Bandits

Philadelphia Stars

New Jersey Generals

I'm thinking the Panthers are set up for this with the "swoopy" nature of their logo already lending itself to that "swoosh" style (go Nike!)  pant stripe.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Skycast said:

I'm thinking the Panthers are set up for this with the "swoopy" nature of their logo already lending itself to that "swoosh" style (go Nike!)  pant stripe.

Agreed. I loved the Broncos jerseys, and the Panthers are my least favorite team of the USFL but I would fully support that idea.. but I also think the Panthers should change into the NFL Panthers 96 logo also. Major upgrade.

• Like 1

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League

25 minutes ago, BengalErnst said:

Agreed. I loved the Broncos jerseys, and the Panthers are my least favorite team of the USFL but I would fully support that idea.. but I also think the Panthers should change into the NFL Panthers 96 logo also. Major upgrade.

Well now, here is where we diverge dude...I think the Michigan logo and colors are far superior to the Carolina one in all ways.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Skycast said:

Well now, here is where we diverge dude...I think the Michigan logo and colors are far superior to the Carolina one in all ways.

Fair enough haha.. I like the Michigan colors but prefer the modernized Carolina logo so a mixture of the two is the best of both worlds in my mind.

What id like to see happen in this universe, is that the Michigan Panthers keep colors, but modernize into Carolina Panthers while the Jaguars jump into the USFL alongside the LA Express for the 95 expansion, and then the Stars or Bandits get the Broncos 90s look. I feel like the Generals in NY/NJ would less likely take that uniform gamble 

• Like 1

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League

I think we have to expect the following:

1. Michigan will not abandon their colors, but might alter/update their logo. 

2. The presence of the USFL will alter how the NFL expands in 1995.

3. It is unlikely I will use an NFL logo/identity as a USFL team, but WLAF/NFL Europe is not safe since it won't ever exist in this alt history.  Same with XFL, AAF, FXFL, and CFL USA. 

4. LA Express will return.

5. 1995 USFL expansion and 1995 NFL expansion will be a race to get to rising markets for both leagues, neither of which 

really wants to share a city, but may have to in a few cases just due to population and market size. 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, BengalErnst said:

I’d also like to add that I’d like to see the Baltimore Bombers, the proposed NFL team to jump into the USFL. Loved the idea of that team over the Baltimore Ravens 

Well, this iteration of the USFL already has the Blitz in Baltimore, but I remember seeing the Bombers colors and logo and it was pretty nice.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 9:02 AM, WideRight said:

The Knights have been revealed for 1992, so now it is on to the 1993 and 1994 updates by Nike.   

Looking at these teams, which do you think is most likely to get a "1996 Broncos" style update?  

Michigan Panthers

Tampa Bay Bandits

Philadelphia Stars

New Jersey Generals

One of them will be the first of the "New Nike" look.  All will be updated soon, but some will have a more traditional look than others.  Still only mid 1990's, so no total craziness, but when we think about how different the 96 Broncos were compared to all other NFL teams, it was a big shift.  Which USFL team makes that shift with Nike?

Michigan should definitely keep their colors.

The Philadelphia Stars' branding will definitely look outdated halfway into the 90's. So yeah, they could use a Nike makeover.

As for the Bandits, they could use a Nike update too. I mean, will Smokey and the Bandit still be culturally relevant in the 90's?

With the Generals and Stars in the same division, one of them should replace red as the dominant jersey color with their Nike makeover.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

As for the Bandits, they could use a Nike update too. I mean, will Smokey and the Bandit still be culturally relevant in the 90's?

Smokey and the Bandit is culturally relevant in every decade! 😎

• Like 3

12 hours ago, BengalErnst said:

With the Jacksonville Jaguars not likely to be created in this universe, I would love to see that logo in a different town make it into the USFL. It was an absolute awesome logo/design 

I want to see the one with the original design, along with a backstory that Jaguar the car company is actually backing it instead of trying to sue

• Like 2

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

9 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Michigan should definitely keep their colors.

The Philadelphia Stars' branding will definitely look outdated halfway into the 90's. So yeah, they could use a Nike makeover.

With the Generals and Stars in the same division, one of them should replace red as the dominant jersey color with their Nike makeover.

A darker green for the Gens would be cool, I always assumed the red and blue were based on the pants for the Marines dress uniform but hunter green or jade would pair nicely with the gold.

The Bombers identity would be a great way to further tie the Blitz name into the city of Baltimore while leaning into the dark blue and white colors even more. 

The UFL had a nice set of logos to pull from as well as the other mentioned leagues.

• Like 1

Generals need to keep their dominant red look with a slight update.  Perhaps introduce an alternate blue jersey for the Generals.  Same with Michigan, keep their primary look/branding and just do a slight update.

The Philly Stars need a complete makeover as their branding will start to look outdated very soon.  I would do away with the Red and gold branding as it closely resembles the Stallions.  Also, there is too much red in the Atlantic division with the Generals.

• Like 1

Testing out a possible secondary logo, possible new primary logo for the Tampa Bay Bandits.  I went with the seemingly ubiquitous headshot of a cowboy-hat, bandana "Bandit", basing my image on about 10 others out there.  Not sure I would ever replace the original rider logo the Bandits used, but as my alt history enters the 90's the rise of 2nd logos seems inevitable.  

Thoughts on this version of the bandit-head logo motif?

spacer.png