MLB moves 2021 All-Star Game from Atlanta to Colorado

CS85

In every leadership decision or decisions of consequence, there are going to be people that lose or are hurt by a decision. Unavoidable in most cases. That said, there's a way to minimize losses or at least know that the losses are short term and can benefit in the long term.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, the admiral said:

It sucks because this game should have been a celebration of Hank Aaron. Real bummer for the fans, but Georgia's government did it to themselves. (And no, they can't move it to Milwaukee instead; if you don't like what a gerrymandered Republican legislature is doing in Georgia, you're really not gonna like what's cookin' in Wisconsin.)

I guess my question is this - why screw the fans? Or the people that had nothing to do with this? Let's be honest, Georgia ain't going to be rescinding that law just because Atlanta lost an ASG. And I'll get the the sillier/slippery slope fallacy question out of the way now. Does MLB force the Braves to move unless Georgia rescinds the law? Or the Hawks? (I'm OK with the Falcons moving because their uniforms are stupid.) My point, I suppose, is there could be better ways for MLB to show its displeasure. Maybe make the entire ASG one giant protest against the voting law. That's going to get far more attention than this, at best, 2-3 news cycle story. We all know that this will be a big deal for a day or two and then everyone outside Georgia will move on to the next shiny thing. Why not take full advantage of the situation and pitch a holy :censored: right there in the heart of the beast? You get 3 months to talk about it and a week to pull it off. Organize protests around the stadium and so on. That's what I'd do, anyway.

BB52Big.jpg

8 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

We forget the part that results in working people (often the very people we're trying to protect) being laid off or let go because the money Coke lost on the ASG had an effect on the quarterly balance sheet and that money ain't gonna reprint itself. We gotta serve the shareholders so lay off or fire enough people to make up the difference.

That part is troubling because while one can say, "well, don't let the people who passed this bill get elected," I don't think the working people who are going to get hurt by this did let them get elected. Atlanta proper and a lot of its suburbs don't vote that way. It's the rest of Georgia ruining the weekend for Atlanta.

Again, what I really think made this unavoidable for baseball was the death of Hank Aaron. It would have been awkward under any circumstances after this bill, but honoring his legacy at his organization's stadium while his state is making it harder for black people to vote would have been impossible. This isn't playing culture war to look good. There was no way around this.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think it sucks that the employees of Yard House or whatever other chain restaurants in the outdoor mall near the stadium will lose out on 3 days of higher tips, but it’s substantially more damaging for them and others when the entire state’s worth of service workers and others lose the ability to cast ballots outside of a single 12-hour window. That’s barely a trade-off, come on.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

6 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Again, what I really think made this unavoidable for baseball was the death of Hank Aaron. It would have been awkward under any circumstances after this bill, but honoring his legacy at his organization's stadium while his state is making it harder for black people to vote would have been impossible. This isn't playing culture war to look good. There was no way around this.

See, and I think what better way to honor Hank Aaron than using an ASG in Atlanta to draw attention to the whole thing. Honor both his legacy and his beliefs. I wish I could say this game will still be an issue come July, but it won't be. This is a golden opportunity to really give the Georgia Legislature a giant middle finger right in their front yard, but instead, we gotta hope they get the message from Milwaukee or somewhere.

BB52Big.jpg

13 minutes ago, Digby said:

I think it sucks that the employees of Yard House or whatever other chain restaurants in the outdoor mall near the stadium will lose out on 3 days of higher tips, but it’s substantially more damaging for them and others when the entire state’s worth of service workers and others lose the ability to cast ballots outside of a single 12-hour window. That’s barely a trade-off, come on.

That's not entirely accurate. There are absentee ballots, early voting drop boxes, and the polls have to stay open as long as people are in line to vote. It's not like they're closing the doors at 7 and telling anyone who didn't get in to :censored: off and go home.

EDIT: Do you really believe the only economic impact of losing this game is missing out on three days of tips?

BB52Big.jpg

5 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

That's not entirely accurate. There are absentee ballots, early voting drop boxes, and the polls have to stay open as long as people are in line to vote. It's not like they're closing the doors at 7 and telling anyone who didn't get in to :censored: off and go home.

EDIT: Do you really believe the only economic impact of losing this game is missing out on three days of tips?

If an organization is now looking at what MLB did and is now thinking twice about holding an event Georgia, then the impact would be greater than just these three days.

If we are talking about an annual event(s) that are consistently held in Georgia, like the Masters or the Peach Bowl , then removing those events from Georgia (which of course would never happen) would have a greater impact on the economy than a one-off singular event, like the All Star Game or the Olympics.  

I just hope, if nothing else, that maybe the more affluent people in Georgia would finally get a reality check instead of just a fat pay check. 

Aside from that... I have an idea where to put the All Star Game ... in an Iowa cornfield. 

I saw, I came, I left.

I feel like this was the right move for them. Staying in Atlanta would of meant silently supporting a bill that was built on opinions that weren't true.. and that wouldn't stick well with younger fans.

What they should do now: Move the game to Dodger Stadium. I know, I know.. they're getting it in 2022. Instead of that - give this year's game to Dodger Stadium and next year's game goes to an AL site.

17 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

I guess my question is this - why screw the fans? Or the people that had nothing to do with this? Let's be honest, Georgia ain't going to be rescinding that law just because Atlanta lost an ASG.

Despite your cynicism, boycotts supported by the removal of sporting events have worked to change laws..

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-north-carolina-lgbt/seeking-end-to-boycott-north-carolina-rescinds-transgender-bathroom-law-idUSKBN1711V4

https://www.vice.com/en/article/ezed9e/throwback-thursday-the-nfl-takes-the-super-bowl-away-from-arizona

7 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

As I stated earlier in this thread,

Do we have any data on how much ASGs help the locals or is this filed away next to the “taxpayer-funded stadiums stimulate economic development”?

I think the "economic impact" of these things is almost always expense account to expense account and we plebes only ever hear about abstract numbers, and again, the benefits to the working class of expanded access to the ballot are clearly more impactful than the benefits of an extra baseball game in an office park in Cobb County.

Also not sure why you're in disbelief that GA would change laws over this when we have the NC/trans bathroom bill drama so close in the rear-view.

1 minute ago, schlim said:

Your mistaking simple questions and talking points for cynicism. I'd really appreciate it if you wouldn't do that.

BB52Big.jpg

21 minutes ago, Digby said:

I think the "economic impact" of these things is almost always expense account to expense account and we plebes only ever hear about abstract numbers, and again, the benefits to the working class of expanded access to the ballot are clearly more impactful than the benefits of an extra baseball game in an office park in Cobb County.

Also not sure why you're in disbelief that GA would change laws over this when we have the NC/trans bathroom bill drama so close in the rear-view.

First off, read what I said about Coca-Cola earlier in the thread. Trust me, if Coke or the other big businesses lose enough money over this, the plebes will take the worst of it. Why? Because they always do. It's simple economics.

Second, I'm not in disbelief about anything. Nor do I have a strong belief on this issue. I am simply having a discussion, asking questions, providing my opinion when I feel it's necessary, and trying to learn something. I have no agenda here.  I'll nicely ask you to please stop putting words in my mouth.

BB52Big.jpg

5 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Your mistaking simple questions and talking points for cynicism. I'd really appreciate it if you wouldn't do that.

Georgia ain't going to be rescinding that law just because Atlanta lost an ASG.

That's a cynical statement, isn't it?

I kind of get the benefit of playing devil's advocate or "just asking questions," but there's lots of information available about why the new GA voting restrictions are a disastrous reaction to the 2020 election results, and I fear going too much further unravels the whole "tread lightly" direction for this conversation.

Like, either we can have it or not. And having it isn't pretty, because what has happened isn't pretty. So much so that the MLBPA revolted.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

First off, read what I said about Coca-Cola earlier in the thread. Trust me, if Coke or the other big businesses lose enough money over this, the plebes will take the worst of it. Why? Because they always do. It's simple economics.

Second, I'm not in disbelief about anything. Nor do I have a strong belief on this issue. I am simply having a discussion, asking questions, providing my opinion when I feel it's necessary, and trying to learn something. I have no agenda here.  I'll nicely ask you again to please stop putting words in my mouth.

I don’t understand what hypothetical layoffs at Coca-Cola have to do with the All-Star Game being moved. Who is trying to ruin Coke? Coca-Cola’s CEO has been critical of this same law!

3 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

They definitely would if they thought could get away with it.

And they mightn't be getting rid of other options, but they're making them exponentially harder to access, more generally irksome and less user friendly. Making the sheer act of voting harder and less accessible to people is preeeetty quickly starting to go against the basic tenets of democracy.

Which is a long way of saying that this is clearly a case where baseball had to something to show that this is not ok, we can debate exactly what but pulling the ASG feels like the "easiest" move, especially with precedent of other leagues doing similar things. FWIW I quite like the idea of turning the ASG into one giant :censored:-you celebration of protest, but I think that, especially in the current climate, that definitely runs a risk of turning yourself into something of a target for, well, we all know who, which runs the risk of ending up counter-productive.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

9 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

That's a cynical statement, isn't it?

Is it? I seriously doubt they're going to change their minds over this. Do you think they will?

9 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I kind of get the benefit of playing devil's advocate or "just asking questions," but there's lots of information available about why the new GA voting restrictions are a disastrous reaction to the 2020 election results

I'm not playing Devil's advocate. I'm legitimately trying to get a feel for what's going on without resorting to my trusty team politics playbook. Earlier in the thread, I posted a list from an article on how the new law will impact the citizens of Georgia and I asked for people to explain the problem. I also allowed for the fact that the list may have left out key details.  So far, no one has addressed a single one of them. Feel free to impart whatever information you'd like. You're capable of doing it without going over the line and I welcome the chance to read it.

BB52Big.jpg

10 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Like, either we can have it or not. And having it isn't pretty, because what has happened isn't pretty. So much so that the MLBPA revolted.

It does make me wonder, how many prominent players were so outraged that they would have avoided playing in the all-star game had it still been in Atlanta? 

I saw, I came, I left.

1 minute ago, waltere said:

And they mightn't be getting rid of other options, but they're making them exponentially harder to access, more generally irksome and less user friendly. Making the sheer act of voting harder and less accessible to people is preeeetty quickly starting to go against the basic tenets of democracy.

I caught this earlier: 

Nothing says "red alert" like "the bill that clearly does something actually does the opposite of what it so clearly seems to do."

I read through this breakdown of the bill and it's impossible to come to the conclusion that they've done anything close to expanding ballot access. MLB did what they had to do here. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived