Jump to content

MLB moves 2021 All-Star Game from Atlanta to Colorado


CS85
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, CATLogo1 said:

IMO, the one way that MLB could solve the constant interleague play problem is to add 2 new expansion teams that make the most geographical sense (one in each league), while keeping traditional rivalries such as Red Sox vs. Yankees, Cardinals vs. Cubs or Dodgers vs. Giants intact (MLB would need to realign to accommodate the expansion teams & then re-do the scheduling matrix). FWIW, MLB hasn't added any new expansion teams since 1998, and there haven't been any team/league shifts since the Houston Astros shifted from the NL Central to the AL West in 2013. Once each league has 16 teams, then I feel like MLB could do away with regular season interleague play. Again, I feel like one of the reasons why more people watched MLB baseball back in the day was because there was no regular season interleague (back before 1997, the only interleague play was in the World Series). Expansion, therefore, could be one way to rejuvenate or re-stimulate widespread public interest in MLB again.

Interleague play isn't going anywhere. They increased the number of games when the Astros switched leagues rather than setting it at the minimum total necessary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First hand ASG experience-- I volunteered at Fanfest when the game was in Milwaukee in 2002. Lots of fans from all over came in. I was in the HOF exhibit, so I had plenty of time to chat. Also went to the game as a local, with my brother, who was a 20-game season ticket holder. We sat in his regular seats.

 

Saying all this to point out maybe that was different from attendance now. Maybe it isn't though, and there are more fans traveling in and more locals attending than some assumptions here have stated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'd say when they ended up tied in 2002. It's not like every team plays every other team in the other league. 


Then we had the “This Time it Counts” mess that resulted in multiple years of AL victories. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, CATLogo1 said:

IMO, the one way that MLB could solve the constant interleague play problem is to add 2 new expansion teams that make the most geographical sense (one in each league), while keeping traditional rivalries such as Red Sox vs. Yankees, Cardinals vs. Cubs or Dodgers vs. Giants intact (MLB would need to realign to accommodate the expansion teams & then re-do the scheduling matrix). 

 

The only difference between AL and NL is the DH. Get rid of the DH, but split the league into traditional AL/NL teams like it is in the NFL.  You can still have traditional divisional rivals, but keep the inter league play, and keep the umpire roster like it is now as well (no AL- or NL-specific umpires), 

 

The game is different than it was in the past - teams spend millions of dollars on a pitcher expected to throw sometimes less than 15 pitches in an appearance, And good starting pitching is also expensive and somewhat rare. Why risk these pitchers injuring themselves at something that’s not their primary use? The game has evolved - players are bigger and faster, and pitchers throw harder than everm due to specialized training.

 

You can still play small ball without waiting on your pitcher to lay down a bunt, and I don’t think there are many fans excited to see a .195 body in the lineup. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, McCall said:

Interleague play isn't going anywhere. They increased the number of games when the Astros switched leagues rather than setting it at the minimum total necessary.

Yes, I agree. I was simply stating a fantasy hypothetical scenario of what I hoped would happen, but realistically, I know most likely won't. I honestly don't believe that Major League Baseball is considering any expansion teams in the imminent future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, slapshot said:

 

The only difference between AL and NL is the DH. Get rid of the DH, but split the league into traditional AL/NL teams like it is in the NFL.  You can still have traditional divisional rivals, but keep the inter league play, and keep the umpire roster like it is now as well (no AL- or NL-specific umpires), 

 

The game is different than it was in the past - teams spend millions of dollars on a pitcher expected to throw sometimes less than 15 pitches in an appearance, And good starting pitching is also expensive and somewhat rare. Why risk these pitchers injuring themselves at something that’s not their primary use? The game has evolved - players are bigger and faster, and pitchers throw harder than ever due to specialized training.

 

You can still play small ball without waiting on your pitcher to lay down a bunt, and I don’t think there are many fans excited to see a .195 body in the lineup. 

I agree. Major League Baseball is radically different now than it was several decades ago. The more I think about it, the more I wish that MLB would just implement a universal designated hitter (DH) for both the American League (AL) & National League (NL). Yes, there's something to be said about honoring history & tradition, but the NL forcing pitchers to still come up to bat in 2021 is ridiculous. Occasionally, you'll have a moment where a pitcher hits a home run off an opposing pitcher (for example, Bartolo Colon or Jake Arrieta), but it's too rare. I've come around to accept that baseball at the highest professional level needs a universal full-time DH for all 30 teams. The reason why I'm saying all this is because your post that I'm quoting has convinced me that there should be a universal DH. I agree with you on your point when you say "why risk these pitchers injuring themselves at something that's not their primary use"? Also, you're right: the game has evolved. I don't feel like forcing the NL to adopt the DH will take away small ball; if anything, it will help the Senior Circuit to catch up to the Junior Circuit in offensive production.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, shstpt1 said:


Then we had the “This Time it Counts” mess that resulted in multiple years of AL victories. 

this I think. I suppose the ASG is inessential in every sport and the skills challenge/home run derby equivalent ends up being the more fun thing most of the time. (Maybe excluding the NHL’s mini tourney, that’s fun.) But something about MLB overcorrecting for the tie year somehow made it more nonsensical. It’s not like there’s any shortage of baseball in the world, what’s this game for anyway?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, slapshot said:

 

The only difference between AL and NL is the DH. Get rid of the DH, but split the league into traditional AL/NL teams like it is in the NFL.  You can still have traditional divisional rivals, but keep the inter league play, and keep the umpire roster like it is now as well (no AL- or NL-specific umpires), 

 

The game is different than it was in the past - teams spend millions of dollars on a pitcher expected to throw sometimes less than 15 pitches in an appearance, And good starting pitching is also expensive and somewhat rare. Why risk these pitchers injuring themselves at something that’s not their primary use? The game has evolved - players are bigger and faster, and pitchers throw harder than everm due to specialized training.

 

You can still play small ball without waiting on your pitcher to lay down a bunt, and I don’t think there are many fans excited to see a .195 body in the lineup. 

Little League and the National League are the only two places that still use it. Why keep it at the pro level? You go from high school to college and then the minors with someone else taking those extra whacks, then depending on what team you get to in the majors, you have to relearn, or even unlearn how to hit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Little League and the National League are the only two places that still use it. Why keep it at the pro level? You go from high school to college and then the minors with someone else taking those extra whacks, then depending on what team you get to in the majors, you have to relearn, or even unlearn how to hit. 

Japan's Central League as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Little League and the National League are the only two places that still use it. Why keep it at the pro level? You go from high school to college and then the minors with someone else taking those extra whacks, then depending on what team you get to in the majors, you have to relearn, or even unlearn how to hit. 

Central League of Japan still has the pitcher bat. The Pacific League (of Japan) uses the DH.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What did I do to get mod edited?   The post I replied to had a borderline-triggering term in it but I don't see how my reply was anything at all.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BBTV said:

What did I do to get mod edited?   The post I replied to had a borderline-triggering term in it but I don't see how my reply was anything at all.

 

 

 

It was edited to not invoke "what was said" type sentiment.  You didn't do anything wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, McCall said:

Central League of Japan still has the pitcher bat. The Pacific League (of Japan) uses the DH.

 

I'm straying way off topic here, but I wish one of our many sports networks would carry Japanese baseball.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

 

I'm straying way off topic here, but I wish one of our many sports networks would carry Japanese baseball.

I know I know, paying for another thing but Pacific League makes it sort of easy to subscribe to games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

I know I know, paying for another thing but Pacific League makes it sort of easy to subscribe to games.

 

Not sure I want to see it enough to pay for the privilege. 😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

First hand ASG experience-- I volunteered at Fanfest when the game was in Milwaukee in 2002. Lots of fans from all over came in. I was in the HOF exhibit, so I had plenty of time to chat. Also went to the game as a local, with my brother, who was a 20-game season ticket holder. We sat in his regular seats.

 

Saying all this to point out maybe that was different from attendance now. Maybe it isn't though, and there are more fans traveling in and more locals attending than some assumptions here have stated.

I went to FanFest in 2014 here in Minnesota. Didn't make an effort to go to the game (feel like I should have).

 

FanFest seemed to have people from all over the country.  It made me feel like the ASG was a decent draw.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/3/2021 at 10:15 PM, slapshot said:

I’m not sure why the draft would have to move beyond league headquarters,

MLB wants to replicate the excitement of the NFL draft. That will never happen. NFL draftees are much more popular/well known than MLB draftees, as many of them just played for 3 years in front of 100,000 fans per game in some of the most watched TV of the year, whereas many of the MLB draftees are playing for their high school or a small college. Also, many MLB draft picks won't sign and even if they do, they won't reach the majors for many years so they can develop in the minors/service time manipulation 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.