Florida Soccer Association (Championship: Keys United 6/20)

soflo_sports

Way way back in 2016, I made a fictional Florida soccer league that consisted of 48 teams. Some of you may remember it. However, disaster struck several years later when tinypic.com shut down and my computer's hard drive went kaput. Thus causing all traces of the Floridian Premier League to go up in smoke. I did make a PowerPoint with all the teams on it so I do still have personal copies of each team's design. The more and more I looked at those designs, I realized how outdated they were. In about July of last year, I decided to take another stab at a Florida soccer universe. And that's what this is. Some of the teams carry over from the original concept, while some get completely renovated. The league is also structured differently, as it won't be just one big group of 48 teams. This is not just one league, it's an association. 

The Florida Soccer Association consists of a three-tier system with promotion and relegation in place for each league, except League 3, where teams cannot be relegated. The first tier is obviously the Florida Premier League (sponsored by Publix™). The FPL contains 20 teams, many of which you may recognize from the old concept. However, The Florida Soccer Association has no connection to the previous concept, it is a totally different universe. I just liked some of my old concepts enough to carry them over. 

As usual, each name and club sponsor on the jersey features a "celebrity" and company with ties to their respective city or area.

Ahem.

Without further adieu (as the French say), here is the Florida Soccer Association!

CLUBS

Publix Premier League

Athletic Club Boca

Club Atletico de Miami

Biscayne Athletic Club

Cascades Soccer Club

Clearwater United Soccer Club
Daytona Racing Club

Deportivo Miami

Fort Myers United Soccer Club

Hillsborough County Soccer Club

Lauderdale Athletic Club

Locomotive Gainesville Soccer Club

Orange County Soccer Club

Orlando Stockade Soccer Club

Palm Beach Maritime

Panama City Soccer Club

Pompano Highlands Soccer Club

River City Soccer Club

St. Johns Brigade

St. Petersburg Soccer Club

Tampa Bay United Football Club

Here's the logo for the league:

spacer.png

Starting with the first team from the Florida Premier League (sponsored by Publix™), the club from the capital, Cascades SC!

Cascades keeps the name, but switches their colors from blue and yellow to black and yellow. The third kit's color comes from the garnet that Florida State (🤮) uses. The name derives from the historic park in the city’s center.

CASCADES SOCCER CLUB

“The Warriors”

TALLAHASSEE

Founded: 1905

Championships: 3

Last Season Finish: 13

Kits By: Nike

Sponsor: Winn-Dixie

Derbies: Locomotive, Panama City

Colors: Black and Yellow

Founded as the Tallahassee Sport Club, Cascades has a rich history in the first division of Floridian Soccer. Founded in 1905, they were one of the original six clubs in the league. Early on, they captured three league titles, but have not achieved the feat since World War I. They have a fierce rivalry with Locomotive Gainesville (for obvious reasons), and an up-and-coming rivalry with Panama City. They are currently coming off a 13th place finish in the 19-20 season.

spacer.png

Here's the old design for reference:

Spoiler

spacer.png

soflo copy.png

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait what, you made the original FPL 5 years ago? Wow. That series, along with the now long gone AFA, was what got me to join this site. That's crazy.

Cascades' logo looks great, it feels like a LaLiga crest which I assume is what you were going for. The home is very busy - too much so, I'd suggest taking one stripe away and spacing the remaining ones out a bit more. My only other complaint is that even with the white outline there's a contrast issue with the name and number on the back.

Other than that, I like it. It's a very classy look, fitting for one of the founding teams.

ExJworW.png

18 minutes ago, stumpygremlin said:

I have to ask, in a situation where Publix is the title sponsor of your league, I can't imagine that Winn-Dixie would be able to get a shirt sponsorship in the same league, being the biggest competitor in the region.

Other than that, great stuff!

Well, the English Premier League was and still is sponsored by Barclays, yet other financial companies sponsor the teams, such as AIA with Tottenham and Standard Chartered with Liverpool 

15 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Wait what, you made the original FPL 5 years ago? Wow. That series, along with the now long gone AFA, was what got me to join this site. That's crazy.

Cascades' logo looks great, it feels like a LaLiga crest which I assume is what you were going for. The home is very busy - too much so, I'd suggest taking one stripe away and spacing the remaining ones out a bit more. My only other complaint is that even with the white outline there's a contrast issue with the name and number on the back.

Other than that, I like it. It's a very classy look, fitting for one of the founding teams.

Appreciate the feedback. I think I'm gonna keep the home kit, but I'll probably change the NOB on the third to white. Glad to have you on board.

15 hours ago, JG36 said:

Well, the English Premier League was and still is sponsored by Barclays, yet other financial companies sponsor the teams, such as AIA with Tottenham and Standard Chartered with Liverpool 

What he said!

12 hours ago, TheGiantsFan said:

I remember your first FPL series many years ago and I was really bummed to see that the pictures no longer worked. I'm glad your Florida concepts are back in action, and I can't wait to see your teams in their full glory once again! :)

Hell yea man, happy to have you on board. Your California series was a huge inspiration for me to keep going with this!

soflo copy.png

Next club up is the first Orlando team, Orange County SC! Slight updates to Orange County, whose crest is changed. The home kit is made white, while the away is orange. The third kit is black to finish the look. Orange County have an in-city rivalry with Stockade, whose main rival is Orlando Rovers. 

ORANGE COUNTY SOCCER CLUB
“The Citronauts”

ORLANDO
Founded: 1940

Championships: 0

Last Season Finish: 16

Kits By: Puma
Sponsor: Wyndham Destinations

Derbies: Stockade, Orlando Rovers

Colors: White and Orange

The second founded of the Orlando clubs, Orange County is historically the least successful of the three. They have a fierce in-city rivalry with the other two, Stockade and Rovers. They have no titles to their name, but have won the domestic cup 3 times, with the most recent coming in 1998.

spacer.png

Spoiler

bGdP6OS.png

soflo copy.png

Just for curiosity's sake - what parts of Orlando do OCSC, Stockade, and Rovers represent? OCSC being the Citronauts (and Bright House being the shirt sponsor on the original design) makes me think this is the East Orlando team (aka my home team - makes sense that they'd be the least successful of the three lol). 

As for the design itself, I like it, especially the crest. The double orange + light blue combo on the away is interesting, I don't love it but it's unique and gets some color into what I assume would otherwise only be orange and white like the home. Great start so far!

ExJworW.png

2 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Just for curiosity's sake - what parts of Orlando do OCSC, Stockade, and Rovers represent? OCSC being the Citronauts (and Bright House being the shirt sponsor on the original design) makes me think this is the East Orlando team (aka my home team - makes sense that they'd be the least successful of the three lol). 

As for the design itself, I like it, especially the crest. The double orange + light blue combo on the away is interesting, I don't love it but it's unique and gets some color into what I assume would otherwise only be orange and white like the home. Great start so far!

I'm not super familiar with the areas of Orlando, but I was thinking OCSC would be more like Central Orlando, kind of by the Citrus Bowl.

soflo copy.png

Lets keep this thing going! We've got a lot left to go.

Here's the third team, and the first from Miami.

BISCAYNE ATHLETiC CLUB

“The Seagulls”

MIAMI

Founded: 1924

Last Season Finish: 11 

Kits By: Umbro

Sponsor: Royal Caribbean

Derbies: Deportivo, Atlético

Colors: Yellow and Blue

The third Premier League club in Miami, which is often overlooked by Deportivo and Atletico. I kept the Biscayne AC moniker from the original Floridian Premier League, but totally changed the identity to include yellow and blue. The away and third kits serve as design complements to the home strip.

FyFKh2v.png

Here's the original design for reference:

Spoiler

FhJAZik.png

soflo copy.png

That Biscayne third gives me Miami Fusion vibes in a really good way, and that away is really nice too. The seagull on the logo could use a thicker outline, IMO, but otherwise, your best look so far!

I feel like the tree in the Cascades SC logo wants to be enclosed somehow. Maybe move the white circle to the center of the logo, and put the tree inside the C? That extra star can move to the crown or something.

Also, personally, I'm not feeling the random wide stripe in the center of the home jersey, or the black numbers on the third. Away is a solid look, though.

Orange County's jerseys are really classy, though that beautiful home jersey is kinda soured by the sponsor :/ Oh well.

Just overall, I think the league logo is too big on the sleeve.

Happy Easter everyone!

Keep the comments coming, I'll make minor changes to some teams based on criticism.

As for now, the next team is up, from the Bay Area, St. Petersburg SC!

ST. PETERSBURG SOCCER CLUB
“The Pelicans”

ST. PETERSBURG

Founded: 1920

Last Season Finish: 12

Kits By: Adidas

Sponsor: Florida Credit Union

Derbies: Tampa Bay, Clearwater, Bayshore

Colors: Green and White

St. Petersburg changes from the previous club, Volucres. The previous crest is kept the same, with a color change. White and green hoops is the main look, with yellow and dark blue away and third kits. St. Pete's biggest rival is Tampa Bay, although the few times they play in-city rival Bayshore, it can get heated. Historically, St. Pete is not overly successful in the league, but they haven't been relegated since joining the first division in 1965 (think Everton).

o7jHcRP.png

Spoiler

Q86UmDc.png

soflo copy.png

I think like the old design, the back of the home kit may benefit from a box without the hoops with the black font on dark green being slightly hard to see and definitely would be from afar. Otherwise, I think it looks pretty good. 

I second @JG36's point. The home collar and the Rowdies-esque yellow & green socks on the away are nice touches. Maybe you have something too similar planned for a different team, but I think a St. Petersburg pelican-themed team deserves a city flag jersey:

1280px-Flag_of_St._Petersburg,_Florida.svg.png

You've got some great stuff so far, and I particularly like Biscayne set and the orange/light blue colors (I'll probably have to borrow that for a California team!) of the OCSC second kit.

I will echo some sentiments on here that the contrast on some of the kits (especially the ones with busier designs) need some improvement. For the Cascades third, I think the NOB would be best in entirely white to eliminate the dark-on-dark NOB. For striped/hooped kits like the Cascades home and the St. Petersburg home, I suggest breaking up the stripes/hoops on the back with a solid-colored background like I did with my SC Vandenberg, Tri-Valley Athletic, and even my Inland Empire kits. For kits with busier designs like the OCSC second kit and the Biscayne second kit, I suggest that you can play around with faded and/or more subtle patterns for maximum contrast like I did with my Solvang fB and Oildale Drillers kits.

Sorry for plugging in a ton of my own work, but I felt that it was the easiest way for me to describe how you can improve the legibility and contrast of your kits. I hope these help! :)

2 hours ago, vtgco said:

I second @JG36's point. The home collar and the Rowdies-esque yellow & green socks on the away are nice touches. Maybe you have something too similar planned for a different team, but I think a St. Petersburg pelican-themed team deserves a city flag jersey:

1280px-Flag_of_St._Petersburg,_Florida.svg.png

there might be something in the works...

1 hour ago, TheGiantsFan said:

You've got some great stuff so far, and I particularly like Biscayne set and the orange/light blue colors (I'll probably have to borrow that for a California team!) of the OCSC second kit.

I will echo some sentiments on here that the contrast on some of the kits (especially the ones with busier designs) need some improvement. For the Cascades third, I think the NOB would be best in entirely white to eliminate the dark-on-dark NOB. For striped/hooped kits like the Cascades home and the St. Petersburg home, I suggest breaking up the stripes/hoops on the back with a solid-colored background like I did with my SC Vandenberg, Tri-Valley Athletic, and even my Inland Empire kits. For kits with busier designs like the OCSC second kit and the Biscayne second kit, I suggest that you can play around with faded and/or more subtle patterns for maximum contrast like I did with my Solvang fB and Oildale Drillers kits.

Sorry for plugging in a ton of my own work, but I felt that it was the easiest way for me to describe how you can improve the legibility and contrast of your kits. I hope these help! :)

I'll definitely change up the NOB for Cascades' kits, I think I'm ok with how St. Pete looks though. Appreciate the feedback!

soflo copy.png

And we carry on...

I think I'm gonna update the previous kits at the end of the Premier League portion of this project. I want the initial designs to all have their moment if that makes sense.

For the next team we head to the 904 with St. Johns Brigade! Many of you may remember this team from the last project, and I thought the identity was pretty solid so I didn't change too much.

ST. JOHNS BRIGADE

“The Mariners”

JACKSONVILLE

Founded: 1914

Last Season Finish: 9

Kits By: Nike

Sponsor: VyStar Credit Union

Derbies: River City, Nautica, Daytona

Colors: Navy Blue and White

This design carries over from before, with a slight touch-up to the crest. The home kit remains the same with a white and navy striped shirt with navy shorts. The light blue away and forest green third kits complement the home strip. The stars added to the third kits signify the military presence in Jacksonville. St. Johns are not as historically successful as their cross-town rival River City, but they have the most recent title, coming in 1998. While St. Johns is typically a mid-table club, they do sneak into the US Super League from time to time.

fQC47hY.png

Spoiler

g34pPOC.png

soflo copy.png

I'm seeing some of these old designs and can't believe that it's been 5 years since you originally made this series. Feels like yesterday that I was seeing these on the boards.

Loving some of the updates here, specifically the switch to green for St. Pete and the new away for St. John's.

The next club up is also from the Bay Area, Clearwater United.

CLEARWATER UNITED SOCCER CLUB

“The Dolphins”

CLEARWATER
Founded: 1915

Last Season Finish: 10

Kits By: Under Armour

Sponsor: Tech Data

Derbies: Hillsborough, Bayshore

Colors: Light Blue and White

Clearwater keeps the logo, but switches colors from red and white to light blue and white. The away kit and third kit are maroon and navy to complete the look. The dolphins in the logo are inspired by the many dolphins at the Clearwater Marine Aquarium. Clearwater are relative newcomers to the Premier League, joining for the first time in 2009. A string of strong results and a takeover by billion dollar corporation TechData gave CUSC immediate success in the league. They qualified for the Super League in three consecutive seasons from 2015 to 2017, and won the domestic cup in 2019.

dziPmEU.png

Spoiler

DXCuXla.png

soflo copy.png

Archived