Florida Soccer Association (Championship: Keys United 6/20)

soflo_sports

Since we have no feedback on the last set, I'm gonna assume it was perfect in every way and the best design ever created (jk jk...unless?).

Moving on we have the updated version of Locomotive Gainesville!

LOCOMOTIVE GAINESVILLE SOCCER CLUB

“The Orange and Blue”

GAINESVILLE

Founded: 1910

Championships: 3

Last Season Finish: 6

Kits By: Nike

Sponsor: UF Health

Derbies: Cascades, Ocala

Colors: Blue and Orange

Locomotive Gainesville adds orange to the design to go full-UF. The name derives from the numerous railroads in the area, and the train depicted on the city seal. The third kit is inspired by the ugly gator-skin uniforms the UF football team wore in 2017. Founded in 1910 by UF students as a university club team, Locomotive did not start participating in league play until 1921. They quickly developed rivalries with Cascades and Ocala, which only deepened over time. Once promotion and relegation were implemented, Locomotive spent many of their years in the second division. They had lost fan support for decades, as football became the main focus in Gainesville. It wasn't until 1980 that they found their way into the first division. In 1991, Locomotive pulled off the upset of the century by winning the league. This catapulted them to immediate success, and they won 2 more titles in the next 11 years.

WZcE7zd.png

Here's the old design for reference:

Spoiler

rqvE8hx.png

soflo copy.png

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The St. John's home kit is very classy, well done! I really like the Gainesville gator-skin one as well!

I have one nitpick about the Gainesville crest, though: I totally get the front-of-a-locomotive look, but I feel like the roundel part is a little too small especially for being the "main" part of the crest. You should probably make the roundel larger while making the bottom of the train much shorter and not taking up half of the crest.

Keep up the great work, my friend! :)

Moving on to our third Bay Area team, and the first of the Big 5 clubs, Tampa Bay United!

TAMPA BAY UNITED FOOTBALL CLUB

“The Marauders”

TAMPA

Founded: 1911

Championships: 15

Last Season Finish: 3

Sponsor: The Melting Pot

Derbies: Hillsborough, St. Pete, Stockade

Colors: Red and Black

Slight changes done to the original crest, with text added. The home kit stays the same with red and black hoops. The away kit is aqua to represent the Tampa Bay and the Gulf of Mexico. The third kit is creamsicle orange to pay homage to the old Buccaneers’ jerseys. TBU’s main rivals are Hillsborough and St. Pete, but a recent inter-city rivalry with Orlando Stockade has grown. TBU is one of the most successful clubs in league history, boasting 15 titles and 10 domestic cups. They have also won the US Super League twice. They are also one of the most consistent teams since their inception in 1911. From the 1940's to the 2000's, Tampa Bay had won at least one title in each decade. However, they are yet to capture their 16th since 2008. 

EredM7C.png

Spoiler

OFlbCeP.png

soflo copy.png

Next club up is Palm Beach Maritime.

PALM BEACH MARITIME

“The Seafarers”

WEST PALM BEACH
Founded: 1915

Championships: 1

Last Season Finish: 17

Kits By: New Balance

Sponsor: ADT

Derbies: Boca, Lauderdale, Boynton

Colors: Aqua and Black

Everything stays the same for Palm Beach, with a slight change to the blue color. The Maritime name derives from West Palm Beach’s nautical roots. Each kit has a design that looks like a maritime flag. Palm Beach has a bitter rivalry with AC Boca that developed over the 1960s. Palm Beach has one title, won in 1921, 6 years after their founding. Palm Beach are typically a "roller coaster" club, as they are fighting relegation or vying for promotion each season.

rGiqjyf.png

Spoiler

zXVk4RD.png

soflo copy.png

All the logos and jerseys are beautiful and they're all great upgrades over the old ones. My favorite jerseys are probably St. John's third and Gainsville third. Great job overall!

As a small piece of feedback, when you have the time, would it be possible for you to try the Tampa Bay logo without the text in the middle as it might be too small to read otherwise? Also, removing the red border for the circle that contains the pirate ship could be another improvement. Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Let's keep this train rolling. Next up is Panama City.

PANAMA CITY SOCCER CLUB

“The Shorebirds”

PANAMA CITY

Founded: 1925

Championships: 0

Last Season Finish: 15

Kits By: Adidas

Sponsor: Gulf Power

Derbies: Cascades, Sporting

Colors: Red, White, and Navy Blue

Panama City keeps their original colors, but changes the crest. The third kits’ two shades of green are inspired by the ocean and the forest that surrounds the Panama City area. Panama City has been around since 1925, but are just recently experiencing relative success. They entered the top flight for the first time in 2011, and has maintained their position each season. Their highest finish in the league has been 8th. While they do not have big rivals in the Premier League (Cascades is the closest), their biggest rivalry is between fellow Panhandle club Sporting Pensacola, who play in the second division. 

kP3WklR.png

Spoiler

P1W6kfW.png

soflo copy.png

CLUB ATLÉTICO DE MIAMI

“Los Azules”

MIAMI

Founded: 1920

Championships: 20

Last Season Finish: 4

Kits By: Puma

Sponsor: MasTec

Derbies: Deportivo, Biscayne

Colors: Blue and White

The next big club in Miami, Atletico Miami. It is the most decorated club in Florida Soccer history, with 20 titles. Atletico won its first title in 1923, 3 years after its founding. Its most recent title came in 2018. It has a bitter derby with Deportivo, and can be seen wearing a simple blue and white home kit, with a cross pattern that mimics the Miami Dade County flag. The away kit complements the home, with a dazzling gold color. The third kit is white with metallic gold features, to represent the lavish mood of the downtown Miami area.

rfBD7cg.png

Atletico is a newly-created club, so there is no old design.

soflo copy.png

St John's pinstriped stripes home jersey is really classy but I'd go with a white collar instead of blue for color blocking purposes.

Clearwater has an all-around beautiful look; those dolphins are really nicely done! The change in colors makes a big impact. That away would work quite well as a Colorado Rapids jersey :)

I agree with @kerlonmoura; the text on Tampa Bay's crest doesn't quite work for me. All the jerseys are nice, but the Creamsicle thirds are the best.

Palm Beach has a nice color scheme but the tonal light blue at home is a bit too desaturated (it's kinda jarring.) Also not feeling the name treatment on the back. I'd just ditch the top black bar for it. The away is solid.

Big logo upgrade for Panama City, but I think it could be further improved... Right now the sun feels kinda small. Maybe it could rise out of the bottom of the crest, big enough for the 1925 to fit inside? Also wish the tonal X on the away was made of far thicker stripes.

Atletico Miami looks pretty good, though I'd consider dropping the white outline on the ball/sun in the logo and/or replacing it with sunshine rays. All the jerseys are quite nice, especially the away.

On 4/14/2021 at 2:59 AM, vtgco said:

St John's pinstriped stripes home jersey is really classy but I'd go with a white collar instead of blue for color blocking purposes.

Clearwater has an all-around beautiful look; those dolphins are really nicely done! The change in colors makes a big impact. That away would work quite well as a Colorado Rapids jersey :)

I agree with @kerlonmoura; the text on Tampa Bay's crest doesn't quite work for me. All the jerseys are nice, but the Creamsicle thirds are the best.

Palm Beach has a nice color scheme but the tonal light blue at home is a bit too desaturated (it's kinda jarring.) Also not feeling the name treatment on the back. I'd just ditch the top black bar for it. The away is solid.

Big logo upgrade for Panama City, but I think it could be further improved... Right now the sun feels kinda small. Maybe it could rise out of the bottom of the crest, big enough for the 1925 to fit inside? Also wish the tonal X on the away was made of far thicker stripes.

Atletico Miami looks pretty good, though I'd consider dropping the white outline on the ball/sun in the logo and/or replacing it with sunshine rays. All the jerseys are quite nice, especially the away.

I'll definitely change up Tampa's crest and the home coloring for Palm Beach. Thanks for the feedback!

FORT MYERS UNITED SOCCER CLUB

“The Herons”

FORT MYERS

Last Season Finish: 2nd in Championship

Sponsor: Suncoast Credit Union

Derbies: Gulf Shore, Islanders

Colors: Orange and Black

A slight change to the crest, as the heron becomes its own logo for a Tottenham-style crest. Orange and black remain as the colors. Fort Myers United have been back and forth between the Premier League and second division historically. They had been stuck in the second and third division in the early 2000's, but achieved promotion in 2012. They have spent 6 seasons in the top flight since.

F8280t6.png

Spoiler

YPrrRMz.png

soflo copy.png

RIVER CITY SOCCER CLUB

“The Rivermen”

JACKSONVILLE

Founded: 1907

Championships: 8

Last Season Finish: 8

Kits By: Puma

Sponsor: TIAA Bank

Derbies: Brigade, Nautica

Colors: Dark Red and Sky Blue

Another design that carries over from before, with a red home kit with more emphasis on the red than the white. The home kit's design is an abstract pattern based on the Dames Point Bridge in Jacksonville. The away and third kits serve as design complements to the home kit, with no real backstory or context behind the designs. River City has rich history in the early years of the league. Unfortunately, their success ran out in 1965, as they captured their 8th and final title. They have only been relegated twice since then, but currently they are a mid-table club.

o1YnlqK.png

Spoiler

J32DOUA.png

soflo copy.png

If there's no comments on River City, I guess I'll move on!

LAUDERDALE ATHLETIC CLUB

“The Sailors”

FORT LAUDERDALE

Championships: 17

Last Season Finish: 2

Kits By: Adidas

Sponsor: Citrix

Derbies: Highlands, Las Olas, Deportivo

Colors: Navy Blue and Aqua

Lauderdale remains the same design, but switches red for aqua. Each kit contains the same color scheme, with navy, aqua, and white kits. Lauderdale is a massively successful club, with league titles spanning from 1931 to 2013. Lauderdale has not won the title in 7 years, but are currently in a close race with Tampa Bay to capture their 18th this season. The recent emergence of Pompano Highlands has brought up a bitter intra-county rivalry, but historically they are built to hate Deportivo Miami.

tErWv64.png

Spoiler

T91CnGR.png

soflo copy.png

DAYTONA RACING CLUB

“The Racers”

DAYTONA BEACH

Founded: 1911

Championships: 1

Last Season Finish: 5

Kits By: Under Armour

Sponsor: NASCAR

Derbies: Brigade, San Agustin

Colors: Black and Yellow

Daytona’s identity remains the same, with a white home kit and black away. The third is inspired by the green, yellow, and red racing flags. Daytona Racing Club was founded in 1911 as an intra-squad scrimmage team made by the racing pit crews in the area. They started playing competitively in the 1930s and became a mainstay in the top flight during the 50s and 60s. In 2003, Daytona Racing was bought out by NASCAR, giving them extra spending money. They built their team up to be a top-10 regular for years to come. In 2014, they won their first title.

zuVUyYe.png

Spoiler

dxVN9iz.png

soflo copy.png

The past few teams have produced some really solid kits! 👌

My particular favorites (since the last time I commented here) are the Palm Beach home & clash, the Ft. Myers home, the Lauderdale home, and the black Daytona kit. You've got a wonderful set of kit patterns and unique color schemes, and I can't wait to see more!

As someone who's never been to Florida, I would be interested in deeper backstories behind the crests and how they represent their local areas. I really like the crest concepts, but I wonder what the significance of some of the symbols are sometimes. No need to make a huge deal out of this, though

3 hours ago, TheGiantsFan said:

The past few teams have produced some really solid kits! 👌

My particular favorites (since the last time I commented here) are the Palm Beach home & clash, the Ft. Myers home, the Lauderdale home, and the black Daytona kit. You've got a wonderful set of kit patterns and unique color schemes, and I can't wait to see more!

As someone who's never been to Florida, I would be interested in deeper backstories behind the crests and how they represent their local areas. I really like the crest concepts, but I wonder what the significance of some of the symbols are sometimes. No need to make a huge deal out of this, though

Thanks for the kind words! I can definitely do some backstory on the crests, although some aren't too significant.

soflo copy.png

HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY SOCCER CLUB
“The Baymen”

TAMPA
Founded: 1905

Championships: 2

Last Season Finish: 14

Kits By: New Balance

Sponsor: Outback Steakhouse

Derbies: Tampa Bay, West Tampa, Clearwater

Colors: Blue and Red

The second club in Tampa, replaces the original Hillsborough County SC, with a red and blue striped look. The away and third kits complement the look with a sunset orange based on the Hillsborough County logo, as well as a pale blue design. The ship in the crest represents the high boating population in the Tampa area, Hillsborough is one of the league's founding clubs, and join Cascades as the only founding clubs still in the top flight. They are also the winners of the first Florida Soccer League in 1905. While they have not won the league in over a century, HCSC has relative success in the domestic cup and maintains their position in the Premier League. Their biggest rival is Tampa Bay, but Hillsborough's drop in quality has caused Tampa Bay to spurn the derby for rivalries with St. Pete and Stockade.

1p5lHFL.png

Spoiler

NwNZWww.png

soflo copy.png

ORLANDO STOCKADE SOCCER CLUB

“The Lions”

ORLANDO

Founded: 1945

Championships: 10

Last Season Finish: 7

Kits By: Umbro

Sponsor: Tupperware

Derbies: Orange County, Tampa Bay, Rovers

Colors: Purple and Black

The first of the Orlando clubs, the name Stockade comes from the city’s origin as a militia town in the 1850s. Purple fits the city well, so I went with it as the main color. The away and third complement the home with a white and red look, respectively. Stockade is the most decorated club in Orlando, having dominated the late 50s. Stockade is the only FPL club to win 5 consecutive league titles. They also have recent success as they won the league in 2011 and 2012. They have a historic rivalry with cross-town club Orlando Rovers, who are currently in the Championship. Recently, their rivalry with Tampa Bay United has grown with the increase in success of both clubs.

icJ718O.png

Stockade is a new club so there is no old design.

soflo copy.png

POMPANO HIGHLANDS SOCCER CLUB

“The Tigers”

POMPANO BEACH

Founded: 1925

Last Season Finish: 1st in Championship
Kits By: Hummel

Sponsor: AutoNation

Derbies: Lauderdale, Deerfield, Boca

Colors: Red and White

A total rebrand from the original Pompano club, Lighthouse United. Highlands is a neighborhood in Pompano Beach, and the Tiger nickname comes from nearby Blanche Ely High School’s mascot. Founded as the Hillsboro Football Club in 1925, Highlands changed their name in the 80s, during the peak of population in the Pompano Beach Highlands region. It was during this time that Highlands experienced their first major success as a club. They won League 3 in 1991, giving them their first trophy. They quickly climbed up the ranks in the Championship and was promoted to the Premier League for the first time in 2001. They have been on and off in the top flight since then. Their identity changed in 2012 when the club was purchased by English side Southampton. They ditched their traditional black and gold color scheme for the red and white striped shirt look that the Saints wear. This move gained the club more global recognition, and an influx of English players. They recently won the Championship for the fourth time, and are expected to compete for a mid-table spot in the upcoming campaign.

exji3gm.png

Here's the design for the previous Pompano club, Lighthouse United, for reference:

Spoiler

73t5wcs.png

soflo copy.png

Archived