WHL Concept Series (Series Complete)

vtgco

And Victoria, toĀ round out the Western Conference:

BOndyGZ.png

Ā 

Ā 

The Royals have one of the best logos in sports, IMO, but their jerseys are kinda busy. The CHL desperately needs some purple, so I revamp the look in royal purple and lavender, with striping based on the famous Empress Hotel. The shoulder patch is based on the Victoria city coat of arms.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again these are all greatĀ concepts. My only critique is that while I'm not opposed to switching Victoria to purple, I think they'd look better with a different secondary colour than lavender. IMO there isn't enough differentiation between the two shades of purple to pull it off like you could with a two tone blue or green. AlsoĀ double purple does create a very 'soft'(for lack of a better term) effect. I'm certainly not one of those people who thinks teams need to have the edgiest, most aggressive identity out there, but dark purple and lavender, coupled with the Empress pattern (which as a native Victorian I think is fantastic, well done) reminds me more of a sweater my grandmother would wear to tea rather than a young man inĀ hisĀ hockey game.

2 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Once again these are all greatĀ concepts. My only critique is that while I'm not opposed to switching Victoria to purple, I think they'd look better with a different secondary colour than lavender. IMO there isn't enough differentiation between the two shades of purple to pull it off like you could with a two tone blue or green. AlsoĀ double purple does create a very 'soft'(for lack of a better term) effect. I'm certainly not one of those people who thinks teams need to have the edgiest, most aggressive identity out there, but dark purple and lavender, coupled with the Empress pattern (which as a native Victorian I think is fantastic, well done) reminds me more of a sweater my grandmother would wear to tea rather than a young man inĀ hisĀ hockey game.

Really glad to hear from a Victorian! I'm glad you like the Empress Hotel look, sinceĀ I wasn't sure if that's considered too touristy for locals :P

Ā 

As for the colors, I understand the concern. My main goal for Victoria was to keep it feeling classy, which maybe entails restrained or "soft," like you say.

That said, here's a quick take with more silver replacing lavender, which might be a tad more dynamic butĀ less reserved:

v6QmktG.png

It works well for the jersey,Ā but I think the logo is a bit worse off with less purpleĀ (which is why I added theĀ lavender in the first place!)

Ā 

Anyways, thanks for the feedback!

21 hours ago, vtgco said:

And Victoria, toĀ round out the Western Conference:

BOndyGZ.png

Ā 

Ā 

The Royals have one of the best logos in sports, IMO, but their jerseys are kinda busy. The CHL desperately needs some purple, so I revamp the look in royal purple and lavender, with striping based on the famous Empress Hotel. The shoulder patch is based on the Victoria city coat of arms.

I personally really like the purple/lavender look. Maybe incorporate some of the darker grey from the logo as an additional stripe to 'toughen' it up a bit.Ā 

I don't have vested interest in this team or the league, I just like good design. This hits on it for me as an outsider.Ā 

On 4/6/2021 at 12:05 AM, vtgco said:

Thank you! Curious whatĀ you meanĀ "college-y..." Are you talking aboutĀ the arched wordmark?

Ā 

And now, the team that has beautiful colors but desperately needs a new logo, Kelowna:

BSbK8Eu.png

The Rockets get a "Black Diamond" theme, inspired by both the team's retro logo and the local ski resorts. The Ogopogo lake monster is integrated into the wordmark, and appears in the water below the Okanagan Lake Bridge. The shoulder patch is an apple tree based on Kelowna's "Orchard City" nickname.

The college-y feel was principally around the wordmark. However, I think it looks great. I just saw the version without the wordmark. It also looks really good. I think you can't go wrong either way.Ā 

Ā 

I'm not a big fan of the Rockets logo but that's basically because I grew up in the 80's-90's and this kind of styling was all the rage at the time. It worked in that era but with a lot of things at that time, it dated itself pretty quickly. However, you've done a really good job with it.Ā 

I hope my previous comment didn't come across the wrong way; I am really glad you are doing this series! I just meant that I'm not sure my designs will be able to live up to yours, though I'll give it my best!

Ā 

The Everett jerseys without the word mark on the chest look better to me, but I can respect their inclusion if that's your preference.

Ā 

I think the updated yoke for Tri-City is perfect, even better than what I was imagining! And straightening the hem stripes lets the logo shine more, I think.

Ā 

I'm not generally a fan of side panels or those cross-stripes like the Kings use, but they work in your Giants concept. The logo is a great simplification, too, though I think the arm gets a bit lost. I'd be interested to see that part recoloured to black, but that might take away the overall 'G' shape, which is more important.

Ā 

For Victoria, count me in the double purple camp! I think a little more grey trim could be a good thing, but I wouldn't completely drop the lavender.

Sorry for the brief delay; just slightly busy with schoolwork!

Ā 

On 4/9/2021 at 2:43 PM, jwinters said:

For Victoria, count me in the double purple camp! I think a little more grey trim could be a good thing, but I wouldn't completely drop the lavender.

On 4/9/2021 at 7:26 AM, Karnage84 said:

I personally really like the purple/lavender look. Maybe incorporate some of the darker grey from the logo as an additional stripe to 'toughen' it up a bit.Ā 

JustĀ seeing what I can do for this suggestion... Turns out the lavender and silver are kinda hard to work with together! How's this?

Ā 

fkN2YV6.png

Ā 

I hope my previous comment didn't come across the wrong way; I am really glad you are doing this series! I just meant that I'm not sure my designs will be able to live up to yours, though I'll give it my best!

Didn't come across negatively at all; I'm just sorry if I stole your thunder butĀ excited to see what you've made!

Ā 

I'm not generally a fan of side panels or those cross-stripes like the Kings use, but they work in your Giants concept. The logo is a great simplification, too, though I think the arm gets a bit lost. I'd be interested to see that part recoloured to black, but that might take away the overall 'G' shape, which is more important.

Oh gosh, I had a hard time with the arm. I tried recoloring it but the G felt wrong. I tried to make the hand more defined but hands are hard so it looked awkward and didn't fit with the G. It's been a while so I might give it another try, but that one is hard.

Ā 

On 4/9/2021 at 7:33 AM, Karnage84 said:

I'm not a big fan of the Rockets logo but that's basically because I grew up in the 80's-90's and this kind of styling was all the rage at the time. It worked in that era but with a lot of things at that time, it dated itself pretty quickly. However, you've done a really good job with it.Ā 

Yeah, I guess I'm too young to really know what is was like for that '90s "aggressive cartoon animal" style to be new, but I feel like 9 times out of 10 it looks pretty outdated to me.

Ā 

On 4/9/2021 at 7:26 AM, Karnage84 said:

I don't have vested interest in this team or the league, I just like good design. This hits on it for me as an outsider.Ā 

I'd certainly say I'm that way for most leagues, but I'm glad we're here in a good place for sport design for its own sake! Either way, I'm glad myĀ designsĀ caught your interest.

And after a bit of a delay, here's the first Eastern Conference team, Moose Jaw:

Ā 

CjU2UHU.png

Ā 

Moose Jaw really needs to ditch its terrible branding, so I rebranded the team to be named after the city's historicalĀ team, the Maroons of the 1920s. The new logo is a moose head, sort of in the style of the current logo, because the name is flexible enough for that. The shoulder logo is based on the Snowbirds aerial acrobatics squad based in the town. The counter-colored nameplate, while not my favorite design element in hockey,Ā stays from jerseys past.

• vtgco changed the title to WHL Concept Series (Moose Jaw added)
12 hours ago, vtgco said:

Sorry for the brief delay; just slightly busy with schoolwork!

Ā 

JustĀ seeing what I can do for this suggestion... Turns out the lavender and silver are kinda hard to work with together! How's this?

Ā 

fkN2YV6.png

Ā 

Didn't come across negatively at all; I'm just sorry if I stole your thunder butĀ excited to see what you've made!

Ā 

Oh gosh, I had a hard time with the arm. I tried recoloring it but the G felt wrong. I tried to make the hand more defined but hands are hard so it looked awkward and didn't fit with the G. It's been a while so I might give it another try, but that one is hard.

Ā 

Yeah, I guess I'm too young to really know what is was like for that '90s "aggressive cartoon animal" style to be new, but I feel like 9 times out of 10 it looks pretty outdated to me.

Ā 

I'd certainly say I'm that way for most leagues, but I'm glad we're here in a good place for sport design for its own sake! Either way, I'm glad myĀ designsĀ caught your interest.

I would consider the gray as the inner outline to the jersey numbers and in the collar. Otherwise I think this is a really good look.Ā 

15 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I would consider the gray as the inner outline to the jersey numbers and in the collar. Otherwise I think this is a really good look.Ā 

Thanks for all your ongoing feedback on this one!Ā I just tried out yourĀ last suggestions here, but the light colors bleed togetherĀ if they all touch, so I think the last postĀ was about as much silver as I can make coexist with lavenderĀ ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Ā 

Anyways, next is Prince Albert!

spz69g1.png

The Raiders'Ā current logo is a good idea but it's a bit too cartoony for my taste, so I went with a more angular logo update andĀ the main design motif becomesĀ bevels. The full-length sleeveĀ yokes are beveled stylizations of the La Colle Falls Dam outside Prince Albert. The hem stripe comes from the team's historical use ofĀ the '90sĀ Capitals template.Ā The secondary logo is based on the city flag.

• vtgco changed the title to WHL Concept Series (Moose Jaw & Prince Albert added)

I get where you're coming from with the Moose Jaw logo, trying to keep it in line with the Warriors, but I think the shape looks really wonky and clip-arty in its current iteration. I do like the Jersey itself though.

Ā 

Prince Albert is fantastic. It screams "Saskatchewan". I love the multitoned greens with the cream yoke. And I really love the cream helmets. I'd never considered something like that before but it totally works in a concept like this. My only critiques would be keeping the entire yoke cream IMO would help with the colour balance, or perhapsĀ more frequent patches of intermittent beveling between white and cream, if that makes sense. Maybe reverse it from the numbers down?Ā In addition I think the away jerseys could use a little cream as well, just as trim. Also, I like the idea of the beveled numbers, but I think they'd look better with a font thats less "squat", for lack of a better term.

4 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Prince Albert is fantastic. It screams "Saskatchewan". I love the multitoned greens with the cream yoke. And I really love the cream helmets. I'd never considered something like that before but it totally works in a concept like this. My only critiques would be keeping the entire yoke cream IMO would help with the colour balance, or perhapsĀ more frequent patches of intermittent beveling between white and cream, if that makes sense. Maybe reverse it from the numbers down?Ā In addition I think the away jerseys could use a little cream as well, just as trim. Also, I like the idea of the beveled numbers, but I think they'd look better with a font thats less "squat", for lack of a better term.

Honestly surprised that someone liked Prince Albert.Ā I figured it'd be too busy for people's taste, because even I think it's pushing it!

Ā 

I really like your idea of alternating the beveling on the yoke, and I understand the number concern, so here's my quick take on those suggestions:

HjhT1oO.png

6WGctjK.png

Ā 

Ā 

4 hours ago, Chromatic said:

I get where you're coming from with the Moose Jaw logo, trying to keep it in line with the Warriors, but I think the shape looks really wonky and clip-arty in its current iteration. I do like the Jersey itself though.

Yeah, I can sorta see that; I'll try to mess around with it later... Would you say the problem'sĀ mostlyĀ with theĀ antlers?

Ā 

Thanks for theĀ feedback!

On 4/11/2021 at 9:35 PM, vtgco said:

fkN2YV6.png

I think this is the best iteration on the Royals uniform yet!

Ā 

Recolouring the 'V' in the Giants logo makes the lumberjack clearer, but the 'G' harder to see, so I agree it's not the right solution.

Ā 

I think Moose Jaw's identity needs to be changed for sure, but from a design standpoint, I think their logo could be really good if not for the outline and wordmark, so basically the original without the wordmark. I like that you kept the white hockey stick from that logo in the moose's chin, but it's not working for me overall. For one thing, I don't like the triple outline. I would try black with a white outline on the red jersey and red with a white outline on the white jersey. But also, the face reads more as a deer than a moose to me, because it seems shorter and pointier than a moose's snout. I do like the antlers, though, as their pointy-ness also echoes the current logo.

Ā 

I favour a pirate theme for Prince Albert but the bevels and the dam create a more unique identity for sure. The cream helmet is a great idea, and the bevels are a cool effect. It is a bit too busy to my eye, but I'm not sure what you could remove without sacrificing colour balance and/or the team identity. One possibility: Instead of the gaps in the yoke, could you make the numbers a bit smaller and fit them inside the yoke, in the opposite colours from the numbers on the back? Keeping the yoke in one piece would streamline it, I think, although it may end up as bevel overkill. Or maybe the sleeve numbers could work in black, since there's black in the logos but nowhere else?

15 hours ago, jwinters said:

I think Moose Jaw's identity needs to be changed for sure, but from a design standpoint, I think their logo could be really good if not for the outline and wordmark, so basically the original without the wordmark. I like that you kept the white hockey stick from that logo in the moose's chin, but it's not working for me overall. For one thing, I don't like the triple outline. I would try black with a white outline on the red jersey and red with a white outline on the white jersey. But also, the face reads more as a deer than a moose to me, because it seems shorter and pointier than a moose's snout. I do like the antlers, though, as their pointy-ness also echoes the current logo.

Fair point about the deer-ness of it... I'll keep messing around with it, even if I have to ditch the hockey stick to make it work.

How does this feel? Step in the right direction, maybe?

0XePg7O.png

Ā 

Ā 

15 hours ago, jwinters said:

One possibility: Instead of the gaps in the yoke, could you make the numbers a bit smaller and fit them inside the yoke, in the opposite colours from the numbers on the back? Keeping the yoke in one piece would streamline it, I think, although it may end up as bevel overkill.

Ā I tried out the numbers in green;Ā also tried reducing the yoke beveling down from two junctions to just one:

cOW3LSJ.png

Didn't like how the sleeve numbers looked in black; it kinda felt like theĀ last straw beforeĀ needing to add *way*Ā more black toĀ the set.

Anyways, I'd be curious to see what I presume wouldĀ be your swashbucklingĀ take on the Raiders!

Ā 

Ā 

Finally, here's aĀ new third for Portland, with the suggested no shading primary as a shoulder patch, inspired by the 1910s Portland Rosebuds:

XFAhjdc.png

Ā 

This series has been excellent so far, great job! Youā€™ve done really well to take a lot of the teams away from the RBK/NHL templates that have plagued their jersey designs for so long. I also love the eccentricity of some of the designs since I feel like minor/junior teams have a license to be a bit more off the wall than the pros. A few comments I had:

Ā 

-Ā Spokane: Great evolution away from the old branding. I almost think the road would look better with red numbers outlined in white and blue on the back although it might make the sleeve numbers hard to read.

-Ā Portland: Man, that sash looks so cool and unique. Definitely getting some 1996 Canucks alternate vibes from it (in a good way). Iā€™d prefer forest green pants then red socks for the home just to stay a bit closer to their more traditional look but I guess if anyone could pull off a ā€œweirderā€ look it would be Portland. As for the logo the unshaded primary definitely looks cleaner to me.

-Ā Kelowna: Love love love that logo and the diamond design. I would just change the black player name on the home jersey since it gets a bit lost and maybe add black outlines to the numbers on both

-Ā Victoria: Iā€™m a sucker for purple in jersey designs and these are no exception. I think I prefer the look with grey over lavender but theyā€™re both so good its tough to decide

-Ā Prince Albert: I love all the locally inspired design elements, and the primary logo is really striking. The black on the logos just seems a little out of place considering its nowhere on the rest of the uniforms.

Ā 

Canā€™t wait to see what you do for Calgary!

x1elJNM.jpg

10 hours ago, HenryJens said:

-Ā Spokane: Great evolution away from the old branding. I almost think the road would look better with red numbers outlined in white and blue on the back although it might make the sleeve numbers hard to read.

Yeah, I definitely feel like I'll have to revisit Spokane. I'll try the red numbers, but it's like you say, those sleeve numbers... I worry I'llĀ have to makeĀ a more significantĀ change than that.

Ā 

-Ā Portland: Man, that sash looks so cool and unique. Definitely getting some 1996 Canucks alternate vibes from it (in a good way). Iā€™d prefer forest green pants then red socks for the home just to stay a bit closer to their more traditional look but I guess if anyone could pull off a ā€œweirderā€ look it would be Portland. As for the logo the unshaded primary definitely looks cleaner to me.

Well, I dunno if I can take that as a compliment, but I'm glad you like it!Ā šŸ˜

Here's a quick take on it with the green pants, though I think the awayĀ misses the extra red:

1x5o9Rm.png

p4qes56.png

Ā 

-Ā Prince Albert: I love all the locally inspired design elements, and the primary logo is really striking. The black on the logos just seems a little out of place considering its nowhere on the rest of the uniforms.

Thanks, I'm glad those elements came through! Yeah, the black is a bit out of place, but I can't get rid of it on the logo (what other background color in the scheme contrasts enough with both green and white?) and I can't figure out how to make it look good on the jersey without it becoming a green & black team with cream accents.

Ā 

Thanks for your feedback! Glad to hear I'mĀ somewhere in between "too off-the-wall" and "too boring ripoff NHL template." :)

Next up is Saskatoon:

Ā 

VHwnnfa.png

Saskatoon's logo is fine, certainly better than what it replaced, but it doesn't really look like anything (not even the skate blade it's meant to be.)

I just figured I'd turn it into the Traffic Bridge for the City of Bridges. A saskatoon berry is the shoulder patch logo.

Ā 

Also, I figured they could be the WHL's yellow-dominant team, so they get a simple jersey design because they already stand out enough!

Ā 

still lost on how to change regina eek

• vtgco changed the title to WHL Concept Series (Saskatoon added)
5 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Looks great. Not really a critique, more of an observation, but I'm getting heavy Team Sweden vibes from the home. I like them being yellow, but adding a touch of white for trim might help with that. Or not. Its still a solid look.

Thanks! I definitely had the Swedish national team in mind; they've got a good look.

Ā 

That said, white trim works alright, too, though it might require some white in the logo to round out the look:

5eV7HIh.png

Archived