WHL Concept Series (Series Complete)

vtgco

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

I've also made my feelings pretty clear on number outlining and the secondary logos, I think your Calgary Tower logo is a great logo but just not for this. I do wonder if the triangle should be flipped though so that it's like it's the same triangle from the primary logo.

However, I think the flag inspired secondary is great. It's a direct reference to the city while still being a direct reference to the team, I really like it.

This was kinda what I expected... That C secondary logo was a last-second creation/addition because I figured I'd hear from you if I only had the Tower secondary 😋

I actually flipped the triangle for the Tower to make it less similar to the primary; two downward triangle logos in one set felt kinda redundant.

As for the hem striping and number outlining, my new attempt on number outlines look better than when I first tried them, but the straight hem stripe feels like it's missing something.

ekq3X0U.png 

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

I am wondering what your reasoning is for changing the colours of the arms of the logo guy (I just now realized he doesn't have a colloquial nickname like Gorton's Fisherman or Blasty or Burger King)

I changed the gloves away from black because otherwise, they'd have to be outlined with a different color, and then the stick would have to have that same color outline to match, and suddenly we're back to the cluttered outlining that they currently use. Also, I think I've seen someone online refer to this as the Jason Voorhees logo? Idk I'm not a Hitmen or horror movie fan.

Thanks!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, vtgco said:

I changed the gloves away from black because otherwise, they'd have to be outlined with a different color, and then the stick would have to have that same color outline to match, and suddenly we're back to the cluttered outlining that they currently use.

Ah, yeah, I see what you mean and what you did now. The actual Hitmen logo definitely has too many outlines and those outlines are applied inconsistently, especially since the copper and red bleed into each other, but I don't know if I like the look of the multi-coloured body you got there because I've never taken those to be gloves and I don't think they're intended to be gloves (not your concept logo, but the actual logo). 

In saying that, I don't think there's anyway to fix it really without separating the outlines from the guy/his stick, the triangle and then the larger logo outlines or maybe having a consistent outline around the guy's body separate from the logo outlines? But then that latter option is just adding another outline to the logo which it definitely doesn't need. I think their modern version of the retro logo works better with one less outline, but it still ends up with the stick outline thing you talk about.

(Not that this needs to be a takedown of the Hitmen logo, but I think they need to go look at the old Sharks logo on how to fix it)

I also forgot to mention it in my first comment, but I really like your decision to go with the retro colour scheme. If I had my choice, I would go back to that scheme permanently.

2 hours ago, vtgco said:

Also, I think I've seen someone online refer to this as the Jason Voorhees logo? Idk I'm not a Hitmen or horror movie fan.

Yeah, I've seen that online too and heard one or two in-person references to the logo looking like Jason (and why they didn't use it for the first season they played), but it's not like a wide, "actual" name for the logo. Out of the two mascots the Hitmen have had, neither of them have been the logo guy, so their names aren't an option either. It doesn't really matter, it was just something I noticed for the first time trying to write my comment (my acceptable options would either be just the "Hitman" or Bret).

IEI5Tg1.png

Just came across this series and I think you've done a really great job. Honestly, I've been disappointed at times to see you stick with some logos instead of making your own, which speaks to how great your concepts have been.

There are a few that I might quibble with a bit but as with the other OHL series (and I hope my old one as well) there are some no-doubt excellent logos here that really get across the feel of junior hockey well. Well done.

9 hours ago, monkeypower said:

I don't know if I like the look of the multi-coloured body you got there because I've never taken those to be gloves and I don't think they're intended to be gloves (not your concept logo, but the actual logo). 

Idk, maybe they're not gloves, but certainly the black & red of the torso is a jacket or cape or something, so it's not like the arms need to match, right? Fair enough if you don't like them aesthetically, but I've yet to find a way to fix it some other way ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Out of the two mascots the Hitmen have had, neither of them have been the logo guy, so their names aren't an option either.

Oh my goodness I just looked this up and that Vulk mascot is horrible! Not that a hitman makes for a good costumed mascot at a game, either... Certainly I'm too much of a scaredy-cat for that :P

6 hours ago, Point1 said:

Just came across this series and I think you've done a really great job. Honestly, I've been disappointed at times to see you stick with some logos instead of making your own, which speaks to how great your concepts have been.

There are a few that I might quibble with a bit but as with the other OHL series (and I hope my old one as well) there are some no-doubt excellent logos here that really get across the feel of junior hockey well. Well done.

Thank you so much for the kind words! I'm sorry not to have more new logos, but for some teams, like Seattle and Victoria and most of these Central teams, I was really feeling stumped for any ideas to even have a lateral move from their excellent primary logos. That, and I'm just busy lazy! Either way, hopefully some of the new secondary logos help fill that void.

Also, I had never come across your old OHL series before, but there's some pretty stuff there, especially those logos for Mississauga and Barrie!

Next up is Lethbridge:

4UJ24Fz.png

So I came across these awesome jerseys from the '40s/'50s Lethbridge Native Sons, and I knew I wanted to modernize them for a Hurricanes concept. I think the style works well with the team's logo, so the H logo stays but a new Clock Tower themed logo appears on the pants.

• vtgco changed the title to WHL Concept Series (Lethbridge added)

And here's Swift Current:

0K3g9SG.png

The Broncos already have a really nice look, but some simplification to the logo makes a big difference, IMO. Sans-serif, sans-outline fonts replace the block fonts for an overall cleaner look.

Lately I've enjoyed attempting to create cohesive sets from uniforms with slightly different color schemes (a la New York Giants), so the retro yellow is used at home but not on the road. The yoke/striping design is based on the team's inaugural uniform.

I like Regina. Not too radical, like you said, but it looks classic without being boring or derivative. I really like the shoulder patch with the dog.

You have chosen the superior Hitmen colours, I'm glad! I like the wider flames, and that team deserves the radical treatment you've given them. I don't think the number outlines are necessary in this case.

That old Lethbridge jersey is a great find! I don't like the name---Lethbridge is about the last place I'd expect a hurricane to hit---but using a classic identity makes the generic name work, as it does for pro teams with generic names, e.g. Detroit isn't known for its tigers. The way you've incorporated the "tail" of the current logo into the classic script pulls it all together perfectly!

I know it's a classic, but I think Swift Current's existing logo is a bit clip art-y; I like your version much better! I'd be inclined to add yellow to the white jersey, in the same stripes that are yellow on the home, but I understand the challenge you gave yourself, and I think you did very well with it! I hadn't seen the monument it's based on before, but the clover is a perfect perma-memorial.

10 minutes ago, jwinters said:

That old Lethbridge jersey is a great find! I don't like the name---Lethbridge is about the last place I'd expect a hurricane to hit---but using a classic identity makes the generic name work, as it does for pro teams with generic names, e.g. Detroit isn't known for its tigers. The way you've incorporated the "tail" of the current logo into the classic script pulls it all together perfectly!

The name is semi-ironic. Though not having actual hurricanes, Lethbridge is known for being a windy city (Southern Alberta as a whole is known for its wind) so that's where the name comes from. You might think Hurricanes may be a "generic" name, I personally don't really think it is because hurricanes are region-specific and Lethbridge had been the Hurricanes for 10 years before Carolina showed up, but there's reasoning to the choice.

21 minutes ago, jwinters said:

I know it's a classic, but I think Swift Current's existing logo is a bit clip art-y; I like your version much better! I'd be inclined to add yellow to the white jersey, in the same stripes that are yellow on the home, but I understand the challenge you gave yourself, and I think you did very well with it! I hadn't seen the monument it's based on before, but the clover is a perfect perma-memorial.

I'm also in agreement with being inclined to add the yellow to the white jersey (or removing it from the blue jersey). I'm not a fan of it, New York Giants.

Also, not to take anything away from vtgco or the concept but you seem to not be aware, the clover logo is something that the Broncos have used as a shoulder patch since the '80s, so it's already a perma-memorial.

Back to the concept, I think I would like to see the clover patch only on one shoulder and then put the SC logo on the other, kind of like how they do currently.

IEI5Tg1.png

8 hours ago, jwinters said:

7 hours ago, monkeypower said:

I'm also in agreement with being inclined to add the yellow to the white jersey (or removing it from the blue jersey). I'm not a fan of it, New York Giants.

A bit unsure about if I executed it as nicely as possible, but I tried out the away with yellow... Feels a bit off somehow but it could work:

LT9Skqg.png

Anyways, I imagine my opinion on the Giants is kinda unpopular but there's something pleasant about it to me... More character or something ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8 hours ago, jwinters said:

I like Regina. Not too radical, like you said, but it looks classic without being boring or derivative. I really like the shoulder patch with the dog.

Thank you, I was definitely worried about that derivative part! Glad the dog logo worked out :)

the clover logo is something that the Broncos have used as a shoulder patch since the '80s, so it's already a perma-memorial.

Yeah, it's a very touching gesture that the team does, and it's not like I had an exciting idea for a shoulder patch to replace it, so the clover just gets a cleanup!

Back to the concept, I think I would like to see the clover patch only on one shoulder and then put the SC logo on the other, kind of like how they do currently.

Certainly a reasonable request, if a bit subtle:

A58XTaR.png

Thanks for the feedback while I simmered with the other teams (and dealt with a bit more schoolwork than usual :P)!

• vtgco changed the title to WHL Concept Series (Red Deer added)

It took a while for inspiration to strike, but I feel pretty good about what I came up with for Red Deer:

mnJzqRU.png

Red Deer has a beautiful primary logo, all it needs is the removal of the pucks!

I opted for a more western color scheme and number font, and jerseys inspired by their current thirds. The striping includes a barbed wire pattern.

The wordmark logo is a cowboy-themed spin on the Rebels' original 1991 skate logo.

And since I took a while on the last one, here's a second. It's a team that I've really been struggling with, Medicine Hat:

snyIbuc.png

I feel pretty good about the jerseys, at least... We flip to orange as the primary color instead of black, and tiger striping is in the shape of the fumes from the Gas City's coat of arms.

A paw goes on the shoulder. The new wordmark is based on the original wordmark logo.

Mostly because the current IRL logo was hard to work with, I tried to make a simplified version of the logo that would fit in somewhere in between the old-timey, hyper-detailed style it has now and the head of the over-aggressive, full-body 2000s logo:

s2Kpnw7.png

Not feeling super confident about it... Animals are hard, and I fear this lacks the character of the real thing. Please let me know if you have any advice.

• vtgco changed the title to WHL Concept Series (Red Deer & Medicine Hat added)

Both Swift Current updates look great to me!

That colour scheme is perfect for the Red Deer identity, and I love the barbed wire striping. I like the skate/cowboy boot logo, but I think it could stand to be taller, so it reads more obviously as a cowboy boot, kind of like the Denver Spurs.

The Medicine Hat wordmark is a great riff on the original. Your tiger head is certainly better than the 1998-2003 version, but I'm not sold on it over the original, busy though that one is. A couple things, I think it could use more black to keep the colour balance closer to the existing logo, and I think you can deemphasize the whiskers, possibly to the point of removing them altogether.

On 5/4/2021 at 8:16 PM, jwinters said:

Your tiger head is certainly better than the 1998-2003 version, but I'm not sold on it over the original, busy though that one is.

Lol, I don't think *I'm* even sold on it being better than the '98 version, but I'll take it! I'll try out your suggestion to have more black on the logo.

On 5/4/2021 at 8:16 PM, jwinters said:

That colour scheme is perfect for the Red Deer identity, and I love the barbed wire striping. I like the skate/cowboy boot logo, but I think it could stand to be taller, so it reads more obviously as a cowboy boot, kind of like the Denver Spurs.

Thank you! I was wondering if I'd seen a boot/skate logo before; maybe I'd seen that one a long time ago and forgotten 🤔

Anyways, here's my update based on your suggestion:

3LkpTmh.png  

Definitely think that was the right call. Hopefully those additions in that otherwise empty boot space on top look okay!

Thank you for your feedback!

And for the final main entry in the series, a kinda weird take on an old-fashioned team:

Cf4G5Hm.png

The Oil Kings seem perfectly happy to do crazy neon colors for some reason, so the concept is a rainbow oil slick theme. Not sure I'd want it IRL, but it was a fun concept to make!

The striping has a swoopy pattern inspired by the architecture of the team's arena. The shoulder logo is based on the Oil Kings' original WCHL logo from the '50s, but Edmonton skyscrapers replace the small village (why was that even on the original in the first place?)

Anyways, that's all of the teams of the Western Hockey League! Thanks everyone so much for all your feedback and response throughout the series.

I'll try to make a couple of updates based on suggestions, PLUS I have two bonus concepts coming shortly, so stay tuned!

• vtgco changed the title to WHL Concept Series (Edmonton added)
19 hours ago, Chromatic said:

You've got a real knack for finding really fitting number fonts.

Thank you! I've been really trying to practice finding unique fonts rather than repeating them too much, so I'm glad you like it!

I finally got around to editing Spokane to deal with the white-on-white numbers and to include more lilac, as per @TheHealthiestScratch's suggestion a while back. Take a look:

coerGXX.png

Hopefully this still keeps the red/blue co-dominant look Spokane has, even with the increase in blue, while integrating the lilac accents.

On 5/7/2021 at 9:46 AM, vtgco said:

And for the final main entry in the series, a kinda weird take on an old-fashioned team:

Cf4G5Hm.png

The Oil Kings seem perfectly happy to do crazy neon colors for some reason, so the concept is a rainbow oil slick theme. Not sure I'd want it IRL, but it was a fun concept to make!

The striping has a swoopy pattern inspired by the architecture of the team's arena. The shoulder logo is based on the Oil Kings' original WCHL logo from the '50s, but Edmonton skyscrapers replace the small village (why was that even on the original in the first place?)

Anyways, that's all of the teams of the Western Hockey League! Thanks everyone so much for all your feedback and response throughout the series.

I'll try to make a couple of updates based on suggestions, PLUS I have two bonus concepts coming shortly, so stay tuned!

What have you done? It's not even normal yet it somehow fits in as a legitimate jersey. It might have to do with how simple the stripping pattern is.

15 hours ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

What have you done? It's not even normal yet it somehow fits in as a legitimate jersey. It might have to do with how simple the stripping pattern is.

WHAT HAVE I DONE INDEED MWAHAHAHAHA

(Thanks for the kind words!)

Here's another attempt at a Moose Jaw Maroons logo, trying to work from @jwinters's feedback about the face. I added the MJ in the corner to try to preserve the hockey stick somewhere, but let me know if you think that doesn't work.

LcEZmtg.png

• vtgco changed the title to WHL Concept Series (Spokane & Moose Jaw updated)

The updated boot logo for the Rebels looks perfect, and the updates for Spokane and Moose Jaw are great too!

Your Oil Kings concept is incredible, maybe my favourite of the series. It's not at all what I was expecting but it works so well. I know they're out of vogue, but I think it would be cool for one hockey team somewhere to use a nice gradient in their uniforms. I don't like it for Prince George, but it's a fantastic idea for Edmonton.

Archived