College Football 2021 - Logos & Uniforms

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

I do not get the hate that the Minnesota uniforms get. They're a fairly clean set with some design in the numbers that you can't even see.

And Minnesota plays in the same division as Illinois, whose uniforms are infinitely worse

Minnesota's previous uniforms were far superior. The home uniform has the random white collar, and they like to mix the metallic, Vegas gold helmet with it when the home uniform has old gold on it.  Not to mention the gray uniform is just  bad, like all gray uniforms. 

1 hour ago, SCL said:

The number font is awful on the Gopher black unis.

I hope this doesn't mean a change across the board.

36 minutes ago, Eszcz21 said:

Minnesota's previous uniforms were far superior. The home uniform has the random white collar, and they like to mix the metallic, Vegas gold helmet with it when the home uniform has old gold on it.  Not to mention the gray uniform is just  bad, like all gray uniforms. 

That collar annoys me because it doesn't do anything other than stand out like a sore thumb. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Is there any kind of social media engagement metric that can explain why uniform announcements can't be photos but have to be the same video that generally doesn't actually show the uniform?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

17 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Is there any kind of social media engagement metric that can explain why uniform announcements can't be photos but have to be the same video that generally doesn't actually show the uniform?

Doubt anything that's easily available.  Probably like the pink gift-wrapped leads in Glengarry Glenn Ross, they're prized metrics that require a gilded pass to access.

A YouTube/Twitch gamer I watch, who is by no means a clickbait-type personality, has revamped his channel over the last few years to be ALL CAPS TITLES WITH LOTS OF !!!!! and shocked face thumbnails, and I was really confused as to why, since it was totally not his MO. 

I found out there was a marketing report he consulted that said YouTube's algorithm tended to show videos that had those features in their title/thumbnail would get significantly more shared/viewed, so :censored: it, we're going full clickbait.  He still streams and publishes the same way he always has, but his YouTube channel's thumbnails and titles are cringey. 

These uniform debut things are the same way.  Marketing consultant bullcrap finds that the fire emoji and social media sharing numbers are exponentially higher if you make the Kansas State Dental College Flying Molars uniform debut look like an Avengers teaser.  Shrugs.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

29 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I have a little bit of knowledge in this, and just did some quick research to confirm my thoughts.

Videos do garner more interaction than photos. There are couple of reasons I think schools prioritize video over photos when announcing things such as uniforms:

• Suspense and Story-Telling: Using a video allows the schools to tell stories build suspense and keep viewers on the post for a longer time. The longer someone interacts with your post, the better it is perceived by platforms' algorithms. Simply showing photos does not keep viewers' interactions for nearly as long–a click, quick view, and swipe away. A video almost guarantees locking in a viewer for a certain amount of time.
  • Entertainment Value: A well-produced video provides much more intriguing and entertaining content than just photos (at least to the average viewer, not necessarily the niche of this site). Adding motion, music, and effects makes videos much more effective in attracting engagement.
  • Maximize Number of Posts and Engagement: In my opinion, the best way to make such an announcement, while maximizing engagement as well as effectively displaying the uniforms/brand/etc., is to first post an engaging, well produced video that clearly shows the subject and then release a series of photos that completely showcases the subject sometime after the video posts. This maximizes the engagement as well as the clarity of the announcement.

4 hours ago, SCL said:

The number font is awful on the Gopher black unis.

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I hope this doesn't mean a change across the board.

The font is called “Vapor Strike” and is one of the options on the Nike Team site and in the Nike Team catalog. The uniform as a whole is basically straight out of a catalog, with the only truly custom feature being the sublimated pattern inside the numbers.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

13 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

I do not get the hate that the Minnesota uniforms get. They're a fairly clean set with some design in the numbers that you can't even see.

And Minnesota plays in the same division as Illinois, whose uniforms are infinitely worse

Illinois has a bad uniform, but they still look like Illinois. They for the most part wear classic uniform elements such as their orange helmet. They don't mix and match nearly as much as UMinn. As bad as the grey ghost uniforms are they are at least inspired by a cool piece of history IN the program.

Minnesota on the other hand has a horrendous number font, has two slogans ski-u-mah (fine by me) and Row the Boat that are plastered in various locations. They have four helmets, none of which really feels like a primary because of all the mix and matching. They can't seem to decide what logo goes on the helmets. The gold chrome helmet is awful and doesn't fit the program at all. The nautical elements (oar and compass) are one of the most bush league things I've ever seen in high level athletics (and they look bad). They use sublimated numbers. There is an over reliance on white on all of the uniforms except for the all yellow look where it is completely absent. They have a terrible grey uniform and still felt the need to add a terrible black uniform (which has no yellow). They use absolutely no stripes or design elements outside of nautical things. And on top of it all, they have uniform elements in gold and yellow which horribly clash. 

No uniform set in the P5, for as bad, boring, or ridiculous as they get can hold a candle to that mess. And to make it worse, this was all done at the whims of a coach and completely separates the football brand from the rest of the athletic program.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Count me as someone who finds Minnesota's Fleck-era uniforms among the worst they've ever worn.  They seem stuck in an early-2010 aesthetic with the overuse of bad helmets, overdone slogan/motto designs, and haphazard color combinations.

They could solve a lot of problems by telling Fleck to leave his moto bull :censored: at home because he's not bigger than the university's traditions.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I assumed Nike owned that Miami number font. Can't recall ever seeing those numbers used on any other brand besides Nike uniforms.

SN: I hope Miami flipped the stripe colors on their green uniforms while they're making changes. White-orange-white would look way better than what they've been using.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 hour ago, heavybass said:

Row the Boat isn't even an Minnesota tradition, it's Western Michigan bollocks.

Fleck created it while at WMU. 

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

As a canes fan, I’m torn. Loved the classic look, but also love the modern numbers so I’m not mad…especially since adidas butchered the custom font a set ago. I guess I can get behind this. Lateral move and the jerseys remain. They kept two color numbers as well (do it for baseball and basketball too! Please) Every rebrand from Nike or adidas always makes me nervous…

KISSwall09.jpg

Internet rumor mill has Clemson and UGA going color on color for the kickoff game. Would be the first time UGA has worn red on red since the tragic Chick-fil-A kickoff against Boise State, which is why I don’t think this one will pan out. 

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

4 hours ago, heavybass said:

Exactly it should stayed in Western Michigan where it stinks.

Besides the Minnesota tradition should be.... Mystery Science Theater.

No, we were fine he took it when he left. It was fun while he was here, got us to host Game Day and make a cotton bowl but even we realized how gimmicky it was. We don't miss it.

13 hours ago, BlazerBlaze said:

Internet rumor mill has Clemson and UGA going color on color for the kickoff game. Would be the first time UGA has worn red on red since the tragic Chick-fil-A kickoff against Boise State, which is why I don’t think this one will pan out. 

Five extra seconds of digging and you'll see the original poster of this very tweet followed up multiple times to declare it fake.

It's the internet. Always be skeptical.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Archived