College Football 2021 - Logos & Uniforms

1 hour ago, Germanshepherd said:

Illinois slightly improves their otherwise boring look by adding a helmet stripe and outlining the “I”. 

Now we can talk about how terrible Illinois looks. They still look terrible. The helmets in a vaccuum are a massive improvement though.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Webfooter said:

White outlines or white numbers with orange outlines would have helped so much more.

Yes and no. While I agree that adding white in some capacity would improve the look, I also think Illinois would want to consider the potential similarities with Syracuse. I certainly acknowledge that they aren't in the same conference and that there are only so many ways to do orange and navy. However, I also really like the orange-on-blue jerseys for Illinois because 1) I just like them and 2) there's precedent for them.

In 2008, they wore these throwback jerseys from around the time Dick Butkus was playing at Illinois:

spacer.png

Further, the Google Image results for Dick Butkus turn up plenty of pictures of him in Bears uniforms and Illinois away uniforms. The only images of him in Illinois home uniforms I could find were illustrations, and those show orange pants instead of white. (That lines up with the pants shown in the video just released.) FAKE EDIT: I found one.

spacer.png

Considering all of that (as well as my general preference for helmet stripes and pants stripes to align), I'd say a good way to reincorporate white into Illinois's current orange/navy-heavy look would be:

spacer.png

Maybe still a little too heavy on orange and navy? But something more along these lines could help blend the throwback look with the modern, simple look they've had for a while.

(Also, shout out to @andrewharrington for the template from like 10ish years ago? Haha. It's still my favorite.)

The new Illinois helmets are going to bug the h*** out of me on Saturday when they're paired with jersey and pants that have no white whatsoever. I'd rather have them wear one of their old helmets to be honest lol. 

NM- I mistakenly quoted @cajunaggie's post from June. 

Illinois' new helmet is pretty cool and looks better than any helmet they've worn the last couple of years. Like others have said, hope new unis are coming next year. Still would love to see more of a throwback too.  The only drawback is white-navy-white on an orange helmet reminds me too much of UTEP. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Now we can talk about how terrible Illinois looks. They still look terrible. The helmets in a vaccuum are a massive improvement though.

Agree completely. 

To me, this is what Illinois should look like:

carey_davis_sm.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

It's certainly comparable to Syracuse but:

1) ILLINOIS works much better than a boring Block I (which is itself reminiscent of Syracuse).

2) The sleeves & collar are different.

3) You could go with blue road pants?

brandon_lloyd.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

57 minutes ago, nuordr said:

New helmet for the WKU Hilltoppers: 

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Helmet logo feels like a ripoff of Maryland's script Terps. Downgrade from the usual WKU logo. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Agree 100% about Illinois returning to their 2001 Big Ten championship set.

Thinking about how adding white to Illinois would make them similar to Syracuse got me thinking about how my favorite Syracuse set in recent memory hardly included any white at all:

November 10, 2007: South Florida defeated Syracuse 41 - 10 at the Carrier  Dome in Syracuse, New

2 hours ago, radchad said:

Agree 100% about Illinois returning to their 2001 Big Ten championship set.

Thinking about how adding white to Illinois would make them similar to Syracuse got me thinking about how my favorite Syracuse set in recent memory hardly included any white at all:

November 10, 2007: South Florida defeated Syracuse 41 - 10 at the Carrier  Dome in Syracuse, New

I absolutely loathed that set. Looked really nice when they fixed it though.

hS6E1Y3.jpg

Is that a specially-designed UA logo for Maryland or has UA updated their logo and I just hadn't noticed until now?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

10 hours ago, cajunaggie08 said:

Maryland will be wearing white 80's throwback uniforms for their home game against West Virginia

Dunno why they threw on that mesh pattern on the numbers, but I'll state the obvious: this is far superior to their current primary look.

5 hours ago, tBBP said:

Is that a specially-designed UA logo for Maryland or has UA updated their logo and I just hadn't noticed until now?

It's the original Under Armour logo, which they've started using again on some throwback gear. 

Archived