College Football 2021 - Logos & Uniforms

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

Still can't bother to match the helmet and uniform stripes

I don’t think it’s that they don’t bother to change it, but it has become their traditional look. How many other times do we see things that go against regular design just because it’s their traditional look.

9 hours ago, dont care said:

I don’t think it’s that they don’t bother to change it, but it has become their traditional look. How many other times do we see things that go against regular design just because it’s their traditional look.

It really is as simple as that. College uniforms maybe more than any other need to make the fans of the team happy. Not one Miami fan ever mentions the mismatched stripes as an issue. Plenty of them had an issue with first not having the U on the collar and then having it distorted by the adidas template. Those issues got rectified.

Illinois is just some pants stripes and white numbers away from a pretty solid uniform that looks like traditional Illinois but with some contemporary touches. 
Also, I’d love to see the ILLINOIS return to the helmet in some form. 

MMxPKTC.png

200w.gif?cid=ecf05e47cvqe58hm8cnmt08nzak

I'm never a fan of nicknames on jerseys or helmet "bumpers"... but this totally perplexes me. famILy (in orange and blue) would have been clever, I guess, since IL is - you know- their abbreviation.  But instead they opt for a misspelled word?  To highlight "ILL"?  

Not sure why North Carolina Central chose to use such a dark shade of gray for the numbers on their maroon jerseys. Especially since historically NCCU teams wear a much lighter shade of gray.

NCCU Athletics on Twitter: "Here come the #NCCU Eagles!!! @MEAC_SWAC  @MEACSports… "

For reference here's a picture of their gray men's basketball uniforms from last season.

Jordan Perkins - Men's Basketball - North Carolina Central University  Athletics

Hotter Than July > Thriller

3 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Not sure why North Carolina Central chose to use such a dark shade of gray for the numbers on their maroon jerseys. Especially since historically NCCU teams wear a much lighter shade of gray.

NCCU Athletics on Twitter: "Here come the #NCCU Eagles!!! @MEAC_SWAC  @MEACSports… "

For reference here's a picture of their gray men's basketball uniforms from last season.

Jordan Perkins - Men's Basketball - North Carolina Central University  Athletics

Likely the catalog didn’t have a lighter shade of gray for the numbers. Especially since colored numbers typically go on white jerseys and light grey on white wouldn’t be allowed by NCAA Nike likely didn’t even make it an option. Surprised this wasn’t squashed by the ncaa yet though.

On 8/28/2021 at 2:30 AM, dont care said:

On 8/28/2021 at 11:37 AM, phinish said:

It really is as simple as that. College uniforms maybe more than any other need to make the fans of the team happy. Not one Miami fan ever mentions the mismatched stripes as an issue. Plenty of them had an issue with first not having the U on the collar and then having it distorted by the adidas template. Those issues got rectified.

I agree with this. Things don’t always have to be consistent to be good design.

Take the aforementioned UCLA: I know a lot of people listened to the hobgoblins of consistency when it came to UCLA finally matching blues across its home and away uniforms, but I preferred it when they had their traditional look of navy helmet logo and navy accents on their aways. The baby blue with gold doesn’t provide enough contrast.

11 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

UCLA's Nike jerseys are an obvious downgrade over the UA version.

spacer.png

spacer.png

UCLA-Colorado-Football_27001309_540058-1

1998-ucla-bruins-v-longhorns-football-pr

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

1 hour ago, Mingjai said:

Take the aforementioned UCLA: I know a lot of people listened to the hobgoblins of consistency when it came to UCLA finally matching blues across its home and away uniforms, but I preferred it when they had their traditional look of navy helmet logo and navy accents on their always. The baby blue with gold doesn’t provide enough contrast.

1998-ucla-bruins-v-longhorns-football-pr

I miss UCLA's use of navy, too. But i miss it more on the home jersey. That completely "out of place" navy outline made the whole jersey IMO. 

spacer.png

9 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

UCLA's Nike jerseys are an obvious downgrade over the UA version.

spacer.png

spacer.png

As a diehard UCLA fan I have to disagree. The new shade of gold alone is enough to make it an upgrade. Now, bring back the Clarendon font and we are money. 

6 minutes ago, imawalkingcorpse said:

It's the best looking helmet in the west.

It's nice, but there are several that are better. 

37 minutes ago, bowld said:

As a diehard UCLA fan I have to disagree. The new shade of gold alone is enough to make it an upgrade. Now, bring back the Clarendon font and we are money. 

The new shade of gold on the helmet is pretty awesome. I don't know if it really matches the pants, but it's a nice shade. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived